Deleted
    I like the mental gymnastics that people like John McCain are using in trying to declare him an "enemy combatant". Surely then he'd be protected by the Geneva Conventions?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Awesome... terrorism charges. Guess hes looking at a whole lot of these.

I fell over my chair laughing.

TY

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    No, but the reduction in overall wealth of society (from what would've otherwise been) is far worse than putting some people at higher risk. We're talking about tens of millions of dollars lost, it will translate into a slightly worse employment situation within the city and so on. They shut down a way too large area of Boston.

From the a welfare of society perspective, what they did was wrong. From a political gains standpoint, shutting down the entire city was pure gold.

Shutting down a whole city because some kids had some pressure cookers, jeez.
    Is it just me, or does this guy post some really dumb shit?

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 07:50 AM ----------

Huh? There's nothing wrong with recreational events. Organizing them in the middle of a billion dollar economy on a weekday however is absolutely ridiculous.

This has nothing to do with laissez-faire. It has to do with understanding that sometimes you need to bring out the calculator instead of acting on emotion. There are government workers who come to the exact same conclusions as I do, but their results are ignored because it's politically more profitable to organize big events and bathe in the media attention. Few will be angry about never getting money they didn't even know they would've gotten if it wasn't for some event.

Unlike you, I actually study things like this full-time.

Diurdi if you think you can do such a good job at not only running a city, let alone a nation. You're free to run for office just like any other citizen.
    Last edited by Frostys99; 2013-04-21 at 07:51 AM.

Deleted
    Well, this is an interesting development.

(CNN) — The surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings suffered an injury to his throat and may not be able to talk, a federal official told CNN on Saturday, possibly hindering attempts by authorities to question him about a motive in the attack.

http://wqad.com/2013/04/20/boston-bo...-able-to-talk/

So?
    He can still write can't he?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    If I'm being told that my sons murdered people with bombs. Maybe I'd deny it it till I saw otherwise. However, being shown video/pictures of said sons with their weapons, pipe bombs, etc? Yeah, screw them.

My first sentence was more than enough for the rest of his family to say "They don't deserve to live."
    You wouldn't understand. You don't have kids. Nothing more to say about it.

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 09:36 AM ----------

Think about all the criminals that are out there, who have killed far more people than these kids. Do you shut down billion dollar economies just to chase them? No you don't. If you did, nothing would get fucking done in this world.

It's so clear that they just wanted to cash in politically on this situation.

It's a consistent phenomenon for governments to ignore or underestimate how much society loses when you shut down parts of it for special events, road works etc. And it's not surprising, it's essentially a free lunch for them as you don't have to pay dollars for it.
    What you're saying makes no sense. Are you talking about shutting down a city for the event or shutting down the city for a man-hunt?

Terrorism charges huh...sounds like some kid is about to get himself a brand new Gitmo jumpsuit. Maybe he can tweet about that...

"Sik new orange duds #swag"
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    lets see If I get an infraction for this...

he needs to gro through his trial....and get his fucking throat slit.

Just like all traitors to thier country should.

Infracted - forbidden topics
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-04-21 at 12:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What you're saying makes no sense. Are you talking about shutting down a city for the event or shutting down the city for a man-hunt?
    I'm talking about both.

i wonder what did he write on facebook.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please dont tell me there is a widespread will to charge him as enemy combatant?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    I like the mental gymnastics that people like John McCain are using in trying to declare him an "enemy combatant". Surely then he'd be protected by the Geneva Conventions?
    "Enemy Combatant" is legal jargon invented by the White House to circumvent the Geneva Convention while carrying out hits. If the USA declared the guy an enemy combatant, they would see it as within their rights to ship him off to Cuba where he MIGHT get a military tribunal, without many of the legal protections for the defendant in a civilian court.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So you're going to deny that most of our recent attacks are by Muslims, okay...
    Yes because your pulling that out of your arse. The last couple of attacks I remember were done by white non-Muslim people.

15+ Year Old Account
    So you're going to deny that most of our recent attacks are by Muslims, okay...
    I have seen numeorus posts linking proof that this is not the case, as of yet I have seen no proof for it to be true.
    It is a very serious accusation you make, you should back it up or people will just look at you as a bible thumping redneck(equally foolish I agree) spewing out hate towards muslims imo.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    "Enemy Combatant" is legal jargon invented by the White House to circumvent the Geneva Convention while carrying out hits. If the USA declared the guy an enemy combatant, they would see it as within their rights to ship him off to Cuba where he MIGHT get a military tribunal, without many of the legal protections for the defendant in a civilian court.
    Actually, you are wrong there. Enemy combatant is just the newest version of Franc-tireur, or partisan if you like - basically combatants fighting without any uniform or identification. I am sorry to say however, that it is fully in accordance with the Geneva convention to have these shot after a field court martial - such is at least the verdict of post WW2 tribunals with German officers.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna be pissed if he gets charged as an enemy combatant. I may not have much sympathy for the guy, but I don't think we should be able to strip American citizens of their rights when we feel like it's convenient.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    The London marathon is running right now, if that gets hit then I am 100% sure they were part of a larger group, they would hit the UK as an example to other countries that ally with the USA.

He wont be talking for awhile he is sedated and was shot in the throat. I don't see him classified as an enemy combatant. This situation doesn't seem to apply to that standard. His statements aren't really necessary as far as his prosecution there is plenty of evidence to convict him. On the other hand in terms of national security, any statements he makes after he is mirandized wont be usable for the prosecution but may benefit public safety. Im not sure if he could have been mirandized at the scene anyways. I get the impression he was wounded to the extent that it would have interfered with his ability to understand his rights if they were read to him. He continues to be sedated or may even not be conscious at this time so I don't see why everyone is freaking out about him not being mirandized. I don't think the appropriate time has been reached to do that.

Yeah they don't have to do it right away, they just need to understand anything he admits before they read him his rights is inadmissible. If they don't think he's a state where he could understand, the stuff would be inadmissible anyways even if they had read him his rights when he was in a state he could understand them. Things said under such conditions aren't admissible because who knows if he's saying what he believe or some wild hysteria induced delusion.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I have seen numeorus posts linking proof that this is not the case, as of yet I have seen no proof for it to be true.
    It is a very serious accusation you make, you should back it up or people will just look at you as a bible thumping redneck(equally foolish I agree) spewing out hate towards muslims imo.
    The most recent news does link him to militant muslims in the northern caucasus though. I think you're simply in denial.