Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    You might as well just come out and say that we deserve it. I'm disgusted by this current administration and its hawkish military tactics. Does that mean I deserve to be witness or victim to a bomb?
    No, I'd rather see no bombing at all. It doesn't change fact that US by it's own actions have given thousands of people if not a reason, then excuse to initiate these hostilities.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    No, I'd rather see no bombing at all. It doesn't change fact that US by it's own actions have given thousands of people if not a reason, then excuse to initiate these hostilities.
    Even if the US didn't do any bombings, they'd still be malcontents; they use it as a means of deflecting attention and distracting themselves from their own problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    But you would agree that were a bomb to befall me, you would say I had it coming by virtue of being an American, right? It only makes sense that we suffer for the acts of our leaders, even those of us who hadn't voted for them. They have an excuse, and I do agree that those who have been victimized by drone strikes have every right to hate America, so a bombing is just the score being settled. Well, maybe not equally, I would imagine it would only be even when several thousand are killed.

But you would agree that were a bomb to befall me, you would say I had it coming by virtue of being an American, right?
    [/QUOTE]

No but that's not how they will see it and I try to look at this from every PoV.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    No but that's not how they will see it and I try to look at this from every PoV.
    Edit: Misunderstood the quote.

If you don't agree, would you still say that it's an acceptable course of action to take? A bomb for a bomb?
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2013-04-16 at 06:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is never an excuse. It's as dumb as trying to justify bigotry.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'd rather see no bombing at all. It doesn't change fact that others by their own actions have given thousands of people if not a reason, then excuse to initiate these hostilities.

Cyclical arguments are fun.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

Edit: Misunderstood the quote.

If you don't agree, would you still say that it's an acceptable course of action to take? A bomb for a bomb?
    It's not acceptable at all. But I can see why they would feel like doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    There is never an excuse. It's as dumb as trying to justify bigotry.
    There is a point to be had, though. Our military brazenly bombs innocents in the name of fighting terrorism, but that hardly ever makes the news here. Why is that? Shouldn't we be outraged over the lack of value our representatives place on the lives of others? Are we to assume that their lives are worth less than ours? Isn't that, in a way, monstrous? It doesn't validate the attacks on us, but it certainly gives us something to think about. We should desire an end to all of this, not just on our shores, but on the shores of foreign nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Even if the US didn't do any bombings, they'd still be malcontents; they use it as a means of deflecting attention and distracting themselves from their own problems.
    People don't resort to terrorism, because of "their own problems".

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    How was it that Bush put it...

Oh right. "They hate our freedom!"

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting talk from TED.

http://www.ted.com/talks/loretta_nap...terrorism.html

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy
    We should desire an end to all of this, not just on our shores, but on the shores of foreign nations.
    Aye, but you have a solution for that?

Can always go the Rand al'Thor route (PSEUDO SPOILER FROM NEWEST WHEEL OF TIME)

Declare all borders closed, and dissolve the majority of all militaries. Grievances would solved by an arbiter force. The arbiter force could be overturned by a 2/3 majority of countries.

And no, this isn't the UN or NATO or EU, the third party has no national ties, more similar to FFL. Nearly the entirety of world military might would have to be consolidated by said group. They would also have stations in every country for deployment, but no "home country". Would be roamers essentially.

Edit: They would also have to a force of altruistic people. No narcissists/ASPD/pyschopathy allowed.
    Last edited by Todgruppe; 2013-04-16 at 06:48 AM.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmias View Post
    91 Dead and over 200 injured in Baghdad bombings today, it's not even on the front page of BBC news anymore. Perspective.

America is getting what it deserves.
    You sir, Need to get the **** out of here. YOU need to realise even tho it is your opinion it is highly offensive to people, including me. No country deserves this not 'America' and not iraq either. But what you do need to remember is that iraq is a warzone and boston is not. So please stop posting, An event like this is bad enough as it is, no need to have a *Trying to find a nice word to say* making it worse.

There's a huge difference between "reason" or "excuse". The word "reason" implies some element of rationality or justification. The word "excuse" implies, to me at least, that someone may have acted in an opportunistic manner and are simply looking for a way to explain an action they possibly know to be wrong. Do you see what I'm getting at?

If you say that, for example, that Al Qaeda used Sergio Vieira de Mallo's work in helping East Timor transition to independence as an excuse to blow him up, along with 21 others, then I have no problem with that.

If however, you say that Al Qaeda was justified when they murdered a UN civil servant because he participated in the unlawful removal of country from the Islamic Caliphate, well then I would have some more questions for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't commit suicide when they have something to live for either. Idk, strapping bombs to your chest I would call your own personal problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    People don't commit suicide when they have something to live for either. Idk, strapping bombs to your chest I would call your own personal problem.
    Maybe we could stop giving them problems?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again cyclical. Us vs Them.

I'm just surprised the US hasn't decided to invade Iran for this yet...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    My money is on either:

- An amateur Al Qaeda affiliate.
    - An extremist protesting the gun laws.

Either way, all we need to do is for someone to brag about it and deal with them accordingly.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a homegrown terrorist that brainwashed himself on those online publications from Al-Qaeda of Yemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Human beings will go long ways to find problems that others are supposedly inflicting on them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.