Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Possible yeah, mine were fine for couple of years.

Then the problems began. One removed so far, it cost around 40€ and didn't hurt at all.

Got 3 through np, last one to go, which is comming in like --- so may need a op to remove it......

Dentists have you remove them way more often than they need to be. Not needing them removed is not being lucky, it's actually pretty standard. Having a dentist who isn't either just trying to get extra money from you, or trying to be overly cautious is where the luck is. Especially when you consider that removing them isn't super safe in itself I think people need to not be so trigger happy about removing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Well mine are coming through, the tooth is pretty much out of the gums now (the top ones). Thing is they seem to be just like regular teeth, not coming out at the wrong angle or pushing my other teeth. Is it possible to have functional wisdom teeth that cause no trouble or when they keep growing might I need them pulled?

I realise I should go to the dentist but I just want to know if anyone has had fully grown wisdom teeth and never needed them pulled...

It's mostly about money though...my sis said hers costs thousands...
    I never had to have a wisdom tooth pulled and i've been living with them for 20 years now. If they don't bother you, keep them.

Never had wisdom teeth, but I would recommend you get yours checked.

Quite possible to have them come in with no issues, of course they will irritate while pushing through but if your mouth is big enough to accept them then you may not need to get them pulled. Or you could be like me and have a dentist take 1.5 hours to get one out, dislocating your jaw twice due to twisting so hard on it. While you're awake, looking at his facemask covered in your blood. Mouth starting to rip from being open so wide for so long... good times. GL OP

It just seems unnecessarily to take them out for most people so I don't know why it's kinda forced on us. What did people do 200 years ago?

I had mine out but others who didn't don't seem to have any issues so it seems kinda pointless. My jaw locks now anyway so if I hadn't done it when I was younger there is no way I would now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have all 4, still, and they came through with no problem. Then there was a problem..
    They are so far back in my mouth, that when I brush my teeth, the toothbrush will slam against my jaw before reaching the wisdom teeth. I've tried to brush in different ways, with different toothbrushes, but that results in a gag reflex. So, over the past few years; ive just ignored them.

Present day, I have to have 3 of em removed because of cavaties (spelling?). I'm sucking up the gag reflex for the 4'th one.
    They'll find a way to get you, damn teeth be evil I tells ya.
    I like juice

I was 13 when I got my wisdom teeth pulled.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Considering most people have theirs pulled I'm wondering how humanity survived back in the day, pre-wisdom teeth surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Well mine are coming through, the tooth is pretty much out of the gums now (the top ones). Thing is they seem to be just like regular teeth, not coming out at the wrong angle or pushing my other teeth. Is it possible to have functional wisdom teeth that cause no trouble or when they keep growing might I need them pulled?
    When I went to the army and got the dentist checkup, the dentist was shocked to find all my wisdom teeth had popped and they fit perfectly. He was baffled when i told him that they just sort of came one after another and I never mentioned anyone or went to the dentist, because I even barely noticed it myself. So as to your question, yes, it is entirely possible, but it is apparently rare enough to baffle a dentist who servers 4000 different people/year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Considering most people have theirs pulled I'm wondering how humanity survived back in the day, pre-wisdom teeth surgery?
    The wisdom tooth pushed into the normal one next to it, it formed a hole in it where food gathered and resulted in tooth decay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    The wisdom tooth pushed into the normal one next to it, it formed a hole in it where food gathered and resulted in tooth decay.
    Sounds like a good enough reason to have them pulled. Had 2 pulled in preventive measures already but now my other two have started to "bloom" and they appear to be coming alone fine so I'm planing to ignore contacting a dentist about them unless they start hurting.

You'd feel if they are impacted, right?

Deleted
    Let a dentist decide weither it needs to go or not...if you know what's good for you that is.

Sounds like a good enough reason to have them pulled. Had 2 pulled in preventive measures already but now my other two have started to "bloom" and they appear to be coming alone fine so I'm planing to ignore contacting a dentist about them unless they start hurting.

Yea smart move, wait to contact someone who actually knows what they are talking about AFTER the problem is already there.

Go see a dentist beforehand, he can tell you if it needs to go or not...people, it's not a hearttransplant.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-04-17 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    It's too expensive for a routine control+ X-ray, especially if it ends up being a non-issue.

Deleted
    It's too expensive for a routine control+ X-ray, especially if it ends up being a non-issue.
    That's how it is with a lot of things in life...sometimes it's better to be safe then sorry. You can have car insurance for your entire life and not need it once...welcome to earth.

Deleted

I had an angular wisdom tooth, and I felt absolutely nothing because it was slightly pushing the crown of my other tooth. Now if it was horizontal and pushing into my roots....that would've been another story I think. I actually didn't even know I had a wisdom tooth there til I had an x-ray.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-04-17 at 04:54 PM.

Deleted
    My wisdom teeth turned out perfectly fine. Just had the occasional and very mild pain during the time they were coming out, but they don't bother me now at all. And thank the cosmos for that; I seriously dreaded having teeth pulled out from my jaw.

Deleted
    That's how it is with a lot of things in life...sometimes it's better to be safe then sorry. You can have car insurance for your entire life and not need it once...welcome to earth.
    Everyone doesn't have a full-time job and a steady income or parents to back you up...Welcome to reality

Also: Would you like your taxmoney to pay for my possibly wasted routine check? Because I would have to go and apply for welfare if I ever want to go to the dentist and still have food on my table and enough for bills. Let's keep that as a last resort option

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I had an angular wisdom tooth, and I felt absolutely nothing because it was slightly pushing the crown of my other tooth. Now if it was horizontal and pushing into my roots....that would've been another story I think. I actually didn't even know I had a wisdom tooth there til I had an x-ray.
    Then mine is angular as well because I can clearly see the crown coming up and it isn't hurting. Too early to say if it will impact but I actually don't think it will /knock on wood.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-04-17 at 05:15 PM.

Deleted
    Then mine is angular as well because I can clearly see the crown coming up and it isn't hurting. Too early to say if it will impact but I actually don't think it will /knock on wood.

Depends. Maybe it hasn't developed yet. Do an X-ray to be sure.