15+ Year Old Account

Possible Return into the Fray!

Greetings MMO-Champ PvPers!

Having been chatting to an IRL friend this fine morning, I'm tempted to either transfer a character or reroll and join him on his server with a PvP toon (alternatively he might join me). The problem I (/we) face is that he has never done PvP, and I've not done any serious PvP since TBC where I did quite well as a Resto Druid in season 2 and 3.

He currently plays a Hunter though is about to level a paladin, but I'm really not sure about what class to roll with, nor what comps work well or don't anymore. Is it still a case of a healer and 2 dps can do ok providing they don't share too many CC DRs?

Are there any guides about for me to flick through to get up to speed?

What classes are still consistently good in PvP? I don't really want a FotM class that will then get nerfed to the ground and do poorly, I'd be after something that is consistently good (not OP just good for pvp in general) and preferably isn't too difficult to get into, possibly something fairly easy to get into but harder to master?

I used to play a resto druid in pvp, but I generally haven't liked the play style of resto druids the last couple of xpacs, but in some ways while the healing may have changed some of the new MoP talent trees seem to bring druids back to their more hybrid pvp playstyle (especially with the top tier talents) but I'm also tempted by the rogue I'm leveling, as rogues seem consistently good due to their very nature...

I won't be going for glad titles or anything THAT serious at this point, largely because my internet connection is so slow I don't think I'd stand a chance at that level =p

Your thoughts? Advice?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've recently just started again as well, I advise you to get ready to be destroyed by other classes whilst you gear up and not to be shocked at how high burst is for everyone right now. DK's seem to always be good from my perspective, although as I said, I've recently just started again so I could be wrong. PvP for me isn't as fun as it used to be because of how unbalanced stuff is but I'm still having a fun time with my friend.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I've recently just started again as well, I advise you to get ready to be destroyed by other classes whilst you gear up and not to be shocked at how high burst is for everyone right now. DK's seem to always be good from my perspective, although as I said, I've recently just started again so I could be wrong. PvP for me isn't as fun as it used to be because of how unbalanced stuff is but I'm still having a fun time with my friend.
    Yeh I'm fully prepared for the asswhooping I'll get while gearing, that was what put me off trying before when I put my never pvped with only blue heroic geared just hit 85 in cata warlock into a BG, got my face fully raped off, seemed a nightmare way of gearing up, but I'd plan it out a little more this time, craft the starting pvp gear etc ^_^

the best class for pvp is mage

15+ Year Old Account
    After a bit more of a chat with the aforementioned friend at lunch time, while there is possibility for changes the classes the others are looking at currently are:

Paladin
    Warrior
    Druid

Both the warrior and the paladin could be subject to change though. I've no idea what specs people are looking at currently. Nor do I know if any of them are willing to roll a healer, so I might have to fill in that gap. I guess frost mage could be an option, I already have a level 84 frost mage sitting around not doing much. Though I am possibly leaning towards rogue, possibly because its new :3

Hopefully before jujitsu class tonight I'll be able to get more info off of what the others fancy ^_^

it also helps on what you like to play...melee, caster, heals?? As far as not wanting a FoTM class...that's what rogues are right now lol, they're raping out there. But as far as a consistant good pvper for melee I would go warrior or DK right now UH dk's are doing amazingly well, and when they're not one of the other specs is...Warriors have been good this xpac, altho compaired to dk's now not so well. As for caster...if you wanna do any RBG's I would suggest a boomkin, they're always needed in BG's but for arena esp 3v3 i'd say lock or mage. and for heals...IMO I always just love shammys with all their utility, altho druids aren't doing too bad right now if I understand correctly...hope this helped ya out or gave you some insight...good luck and have fun

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSGT View Post
    it also helps on what you like to play...melee, caster, heals?? As far as not wanting a FoTM class...that's what rogues are right now lol, they're raping out there. But as far as a consistant good pvper for melee I would go warrior or DK right now UH dk's are doing amazingly well, and when they're not one of the other specs is...Warriors have been good this xpac, altho compaired to dk's now not so well. As for caster...if you wanna do any RBG's I would suggest a boomkin, they're always needed in BG's but for arena esp 3v3 i'd say lock or mage. and for heals...IMO I always just love shammys with all their utility, altho druids aren't doing too bad right now if I understand correctly...hope this helped ya out or gave you some insight...good luck and have fun
    I can give anything a go, I've already got most classes covered. In PvE I tend to lean towards healing, so I could go heals, but I've not really found a healing class I REALLY enjoy since TBC - currently leveling a monk to try that.

I honestly didn't know rogues were a FotM right now lol, I just thought with their skill set and from what I've heard they're generally always pretty decent, while sometimes they get legendary daggers and get REALLY OP =p

I think for simplicities sake I'd like to stick to either a 'pure' dps or a healer, I'd like to avoid the whole hybrid dps sometimes off healing thing if I can. I've never tried shammy healer, and have been tempted to get my shaman from 85-90, so could give that a go...

Still I guess it wou best to see what my potential arena partners want to roll with first. I'm still kinda leaning toward Rogue, but might be 'forced' into rolling a healer if nobody else fancies it =/

thanks for the help so far =)

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 12:05 PM ----------

Ok so new facts!

The guy who wants to roll Druid is happy to heal, so at the moment we're looking at Ret Paladin, Warrior, Resto Druid and me (still leaning rogue - as rogue/melee/healer teams seem ok?)

One question that has arisen is where we're going to do it, we're split between 2 different servers, and have the heirlooms for the new classes, me being on a highly populated server, the 3 of them on a dead one. I've never messed around with the newer cross realm stuff - can we do arena without moving? or is that still limited to being within the battlegroup?

If their server is dead, I'd imagine the queues might be quite long, but the standard of PvP might be a bit lower, allowing us to theoretically do better while we learn?

again sir, my opinion, rogue/x melee/ healer is a good option. I would look more for a UH dk or warrior more so than a ret. Since it seem as a ret, outside your cd's its like hitting someone with a wet noodle, or so I have seen in rets I have played. I will admit im no high ranking like 2200 player or anything usually average around 1500-1600 but im happy with it. But I see much more utility with an UHdk/rogue/heals. as far as the Cross realm stuff I do not have an answer for you, sorry . But the comp you have is viable, I wouldn't expect to make glad with it, but that's not what a lot of people look for, they just look to have fun.

Frost DK is a class/spec that was generally made so that bad players could feel good; in that it's an extremely easy class that does well, even when the rotation's screwed up. Frost Mages likewise, are a class/spec whose strength in essentially being the caster version of a pre-MoP Rogue who could take you out in a single stunlock.

Both are good bets.

I would honestly try multiple classes, specifically those that are "Flavor of the month" at the moment, and see which class best suits your playstyle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSGT View Post
    again sir, my opinion, rogue/x melee/ healer is a good option. I would look more for a UH dk or warrior more so than a ret. Since it seem as a ret, outside your cd's its like hitting someone with a wet noodle, or so I have seen in rets I have played. I will admit im no high ranking like 2200 player or anything usually average around 1500-1600 but im happy with it. But I see much more utility with an UHdk/rogue/heals. as far as the Cross realm stuff I do not have an answer for you, sorry . But the comp you have is viable, I wouldn't expect to make glad with it, but that's not what a lot of people look for, they just look to have fun.
    Another person has entered the fray. We'll now have Rogue (me) Warrior, Retadin, Resto Druid and a Warlock to choose from. We'll probably do a mix and match, but I figure most combinations will work to an extent. and While Rogue/Warrior/Druid might generally trump Rogue/Ret/Druid at least the Ret option can help heal the druid when the druid gets tunneled?

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Frost DK is a class/spec that was generally made so that bad players could feel good; in that it's an extremely easy class that does well, even when the rotation's screwed up. Frost Mages likewise, are a class/spec whose strength in essentially being the caster version of a pre-MoP Rogue who could take you out in a single stunlock.

Both are good bets.
    While not in PvP I've played a fair bit of mage, and fancied something different, so I've gone with the rogue option which now at 38 I'm enjoying lots already, though I do wish I'd saved up and got him a heirloom PvP trinket first, as I'm very susceptible to CC atm lol

Quote Originally Posted by Defibbs View Post
    I would honestly try multiple classes, specifically those that are "Flavor of the month" at the moment, and see which class best suits your playstyle.
    The problem is that I don't really have time to level and gear up multiple classes, But that said, If I don't get on with the rogue I'm leveling in PvP I'll have to rethink...

As always thanks for the advice thus far =)

You rogue, your buddy stay hunter..and have the druid heal. thug cleave is rly strong right now.

I wouldn't recommend Ret. It has nice utility and Off heals however, the skill cap is tremendously high. Last I checked Vanguard is still the only one over 2400 and there isn't much representation around 2k-2.2k. Ret gets trained fast and if you aren't ready to baby-sit and peel for him then it's more of a hinder. I think someone already brought up damage, Ret is basically 100% cd dependent they won't kill anything unless they pop all cds.

Rogue, druid, lock could be ok. Shaman heals are also pretty good as well. Warrior is so volatile with the buffs/nerfs I would be cautious.

Of course if this is just for fun (which is awesome btw) then take whatever you want. Ret can be amazing if you guys learn how to help it out which a lot of folks don't have the patience for.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pazzz View Post
    You rogue, your buddy stay hunter..and have the druid heal. thug cleave is rly strong right now.
    Unfortunately his hunter is horde and we're alliance and apparently he can't faction change (which he did look in to)

Quote Originally Posted by Crossxout View Post
    I wouldn't recommend Ret. It has nice utility and Off heals however, the skill cap is tremendously high. Last I checked Vanguard is still the only one over 2400 and there isn't much representation around 2k-2.2k. Ret gets trained fast and if you aren't ready to baby-sit and peel for him then it's more of a hinder. I think someone already brought up damage, Ret is basically 100% cd dependent they won't kill anything unless they pop all cds.

Rogue, druid, lock could be ok. Shaman heals are also pretty good as well. Warrior is so volatile with the buffs/nerfs I would be cautious.

Of course if this is just for fun (which is awesome btw) then take whatever you want. Ret can be amazing if you guys learn how to help it out which a lot of folks don't have the patience for.
    Its more for fun (to begin with at least) but the ideas on how to play with ret are appreciated, will be handy to know the ins and outs of the comp =D another RL friend of one of the Druid friend o'mine has also got involved and just rolled a shadow priest so we've one of those too (also means we have 5-6 people all wanting to play on 1 team - but thats fine as its just for fun to begin with, if a few of us want to get serious we'll talk about that at the time) Aparently the lock probably actually won't reach 90 let alone be reliable for PvP lol.

But yeh, I think we'll be lucky to see anything above 1800 anytime soon (in 3's at least) so not too fussed about how Ret does at the top tiers of arena gaming right now, hopefully at sub 1800 we'll make do, even if we just try to line up all our CD's on 1 person :3