CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing
    Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155
    Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
    Storage - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Case Cooler Master - HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower
    Power Supply - Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

First time attempting to build a PC. My knowledge is limited on PC building. Just wondering if anything is missing or incompatible. Also wondering if there is anything that I should change and replace. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Deleted
    Want-help-with-your-build-Read-me!

Try filling out as many of these questions as possible. There is definitely changes that can be made to improve the system price/performance.

Quote Originally Posted by devanlambert27 View Post
    CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
    CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing
    Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155
    Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
    Storage - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Case Cooler Master - HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower
    Power Supply - Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

First time attempting to build a PC. My knowledge is limited on PC building. Just wondering if anything is missing or incompatible. Also wondering if there is anything that I should change and replace. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
    I would change the cooler to the Hyper 212 Evo+
    Get rid of those ripjaws on the ram and stick with ones without a heat spreader or at least low profile. Heat Spreaders do next to nothing for RAM other than look cool, but those fins will get in the way when installing your cooler.
    Probably be ok with that SSD, but take a look at the Samsung 840 series, they are the most recommended around here.
    HAF cases I have heard a lot of bad things about. Being thin and flimsy.
    That PSU is WAY WAY SUPER Overkill. Go for a 550w.

Thanks for the feedback! What would you recommend for the RAM?

10+ Year Old Account
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Thanks for the feedback! What would you recommend for the RAM?
    Little bit easier to help if you gave us a budget (and some of the other questions in the link I provided you)

A few explanatory questions:

What is your main usage? gaming? If so, what games? It can help determine not only the graphics card but also the size of the SSD.
    Do you have a budget? If so, what is it?
    Power supply seems overkill. Do you plan on adding a 2nd card down the road?

So far, nothing really wrong with the choices overall, vertex 4's are fine. They are good SSD's. Zalman is a well reviewed cooler, add that it seems to have a $10 mail in rebate as well making it a pretty decent bang for the buck.

In terms of RAM, 8gb's is really all you need. If budget allows, 16gb is great, not really needed atm, but might be a year or 2 down the road. And IMO, having 2x8 sticks is better than 2x4 and then replacing them with 2x8 a year or 2 down the line. However, RAM seems to be rising in price recently, so make the best decision for your budget.

I would suggest a better video card, min I would go with would be the 660ti, but for max performance gaming, I'd suggest a gtx 670 or 680.

As mentioned, power supply seems overkill, even if you are planning or thinking about SLIing a couple of cards, 650w is probably more than enough. Outside that, make sure you are at min 80+ bronze, and (can't stress this part enough) MODULAR. Modular means you only need to connect the wires to the power supply that you are using instead of having that old school nest of wires at the bottom of the case going unused and useless. When I built my comp this year for the 1st time, I didn't know this. And thankfully, when I got mine it was, and OMG, freaking amazing.

In terms of the SSD, as long as it's a good quality SSD, it really comes down to size. Samsungs, vertex 4's, the Intel Cherryville's, and a few others are fine. The main recommendation about size I can give you is think about what you are using it for. If mainly gaming, what games? How many games? I currently have SWTOR, GW2, Assassins Creed 3, and Windows 8. Thankfully I got a 256gb drive because otherwise with the recent expansion for SWTOR, I'd pretty much be out of room. This way I'm set for more SW expansions, GW2 expansions, DLC's, patches and service packs, and can still install a few more games as well.

Hope this helps

Budget: about $1500, I don't really want to go much higher.
    Games: I play are mainly MMO's, wow, path of exile, gw2.
    I live in Canada
    I play MMO's, so gaming mouse and headset are used, along with a monitor, possibly 2 if my budget permits, but not really a priority.
    Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=619...acture=Corsair This is what I would get for ram. It's low profile and it's corsair not much else to say.

Budget: about $1500, I don't really want to go much higher.
    Games: I play are mainly MMO's, wow, path of exile, gw2.
    I live in Canada
    I play MMO's, so gaming mouse and headset are used, along with a monitor, possibly 2 if my budget permits, but not really a priority.
    Thanks for all the feedback so far!
    do you have the stuff you mentioned? Do you have an mmo mouse? headset? monitor? windows?

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.05 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($117.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.13 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.06 @ DirectCanada)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($169.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($169.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $1420.76
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-18 03:52 EDT-0400)

Can make a few adjustments to make it cheaper if you need a mouse and headset as well.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-04-18 at 07:52 AM. Reason: PSU change, for some reason I missed that the first time.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd change the PSU on notarget's list. I just built a rig for my brother with the same PSU and case, and had to get an extension cable for the 4+4pin CPU cable. It's freaking tiny for some stupid reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I'd change the PSU on notarget's list. I just built a rig for my brother with the same PSU and case, and had to get an extension cable for the 4+4pin CPU cable. It's freaking tiny for some stupid reason.
    Fixed, I had some bad filtering first time around. (build edited)

"do you have the stuff you mentioned? Do you have an mmo mouse? headset? monitor? windows?"

I have a headset and a mouse, the mouse however, is on the verge of giving out. I also need a keyboard as I am using a laptop. But I don't consider the mouse and headset to be within my budget, I can get those after the fact.

Deleted
    "do you have the stuff you mentioned? Do you have an mmo mouse? headset? monitor? windows?"

I have a headset and a mouse, the mouse however, is on the verge of giving out. I also need a keyboard as I am using a laptop. But I don't consider the mouse and headset to be within my budget, I can get those after the fact.
    Then you should be good to go with my suggested build and I fit in two monitors.

Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4
    Mouse: Logitech G400 || Mionix NAOS 5000 || Corsair Vengeance M95

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core - $219
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing - $30
    Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 - $135
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 - $65
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD - $163
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $60
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB - $390
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower - $130
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V - $68
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer - $18
    OP: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) - $95

How does this look? I put this together and am curious if i should wait for the next gen intel processor that is said to be out in a few months time. I'm also wondering if everything else is in order. Any feedback or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I think the next series of GeForce cards is coming out soon, too..
    I have also heard speak of a new GeForce card coming out, thanks for the feedback! I can wait until June, if it's worth the wait! I will definitely read up on the arguments!

Another question, if i have no intention to over-clock, would it be better if I buy a CPU that is not unlocked? Also, would the fan that comes with the CPU be good enough to cool the CPU in it's factory settings?

Deleted
    I have also heard speak of a new GeForce card coming out, thanks for the feedback! I can wait until June, if it's worth the wait! I will definitely read up on the arguments!

Another question, if i have no intention to over-clock, would it be better if I buy a CPU that is not unlocked? Also, would the fan that comes with the CPU be good enough to cool the CPU in it's factory settings?
    Really no reason to not buy the "K" CPU, at least now you'll have the option if you decide later on. You can use auto overclock to easily get ~4.2-4.3GHz. No overclocking or very light overclocking is fine with the stock heatsink. Personally I'd spend the extra $20 though as it's cooler and quieter and more of a hassle adding later on.