Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Debate Thread: Marriage Equality

Here is a thread for people to post their side of the debate and why and be given a chance to respectfully respond and debate other's reasons for or against.

If debate threads are not allowed, I will not repost this. I only posted this because I've seen other topics talk about gay marriage (Britain legalizing it, ect) and I do not see how this could be any "worse"/susceptible to an idiot who spews hate (which could happen in any discussion set in the real world or fantastical).

If someone does go against the rules and tries to turn this into a flame war instead of the polite and respectful place this is suppose to be, I only hope that the individual is punished rather than the entire topic.

There is no rational debate to be had. The only available stances are "I think everyone should be equal" and "I'm not keen on gay people, so I'll make up reasons".

Deleted
    Marriage was around before the bible, they don't have to get married in a church.

That is all there is to say, the christians always make me laugh how they pick and choose which parts of the bible laws they follow and which they ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as we're planning on keeping marriage around, everyone should have the same opportunities regardless of race or sex. or species. or if rocks are involved

What debate?

Edit: However, it would amuse if someone felt like posting an argument against marriage equality.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are so many threads about this. Why make another one.

I don't think African Americans should be allowed to get married, people shouldn't have equal rites.

That's how ridiculous this all sounds, in 200 years this struggle for homosexuals gaining marriage equality will be in history books and people will be laughing at how disgusting some (typically religious) people were. Don't be on the wrong side of history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I think this thread proves that in WotLK, not only has being bad and lazy become acceptable, but a defendable position and point of pride for some people.

Can't have a debate for the most part on this site. Most issues here are very one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Edit: However, it would amuse if someone felt like posting an argument against marriage equality.
    US Civil War Joe: Black people should be equal!
    Others: What next?! Black people voting?
    US Civil War Joe: Yea so?
    Others: Women voting?!
    US Civil War Joe: Whoa whoa hold on their guys let's not get all crazy with this freedom stuff.

There's no limitation on freedom. Either you have or you don't. Fighting against the freedoms of others means you're bad and you should feel bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

You shouldnt get benefits for making a choice. That applies to the choice of getting married. I personally still believe people arent born with any sexual preference, way too young to be thinking about where you wanna put your stuff, thats another discussion though

Tighten up the legal issues in civil unions to make them automatic like straight married couples and were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    You shouldnt get benefits for making a choice. That applies to the choice of getting married. I personally still believe people arent born with any sexual preference, way too young to be thinking about where you wanna put your stuff, thats another discussion though

Tighten up the legal issues in civil unions to make them automatic like straight married couples and were fine.
    I suppose you were a fan of 'separate but equal' as well? Yes/no?

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    US Civil War Joe: Black people should be equal!
    Others: What next?! Black people voting?
    US Civil War Joe: Yea so?
    Others: Women voting?!
    US Civil War Joe: Whoa whoa hold on their guys let's not get all crazy with this freedom stuff.

There's no limitation on freedom. Either you have or you don't. Fighting against the freedoms of others means you're bad and you should feel bad.
    Did a moderator edit out the name Lincoln?

Let people marry whomever and whatever the hell they want. I really don't understand why others try to control this.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Let people marry whomever and whatever the hell they want. I really don't understand why others try to control this.
    FREEDOM!!!!! for people to impose their morals upon you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Because a really old and out ofdate book says so.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    You shouldnt get benefits for making a choice. That applies to the choice of getting married.
    Fine. Let's take away VA benefits from soldiers. They made a choice.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Violet Apples? why would you take their apples?

I wonder if Gamers as a set are more liberal than the average?

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread looks like it's going in a worse direction than the others.

... Because there is zero to debate.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-04-18 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I suppose you were a fan of 'separate but equal' as well? Yes/no?
    Gay people will never be equal in the eye of those who will never let them be equal, legally married or not. Equal in a legal sense is what i was shootin for. The additional hurdles with "attorney or power" and caregiver stuff shouldnt be an additional fee after the fact.

Different situation, they werent denied something promised when signing up (grandfather clause).
    Last edited by chadwix; 2013-04-18 at 04:45 AM.