Deleted

Frost or arcane?

Hello dear fellow mages!

I just rolled from DK to mage because our raid combo (10 man) had way to many melees, and im pretty new to mage class and im having problems choose between these 3 specs, Fire,frost and arcane.

Now i am fire specced and i got 34% crit chance buffed, and im hardly doing 80k-90k dps with it.

My itemlevel is 509 at the moment and i think i could push way more dps with arcane or frost.

What are you'r thoughts on this? Should i keep doing fire spec or should i spec arcane / frost

Armory link?

Frost DPS is pretty solid atm. I'm usually topping meters every fight as frost in my 10 man raid (515 itemlevel) and I would say it's fairly simple to play once you know how to do it properly.
    I have not played arcane since 5.1, so can't say anything about that.

Deleted
    My mages name is Hinkey
    Server talnivarr EU

Cant post links because i just made account in this site.

Deleted
    Depends on your gear and stats, but you probably should go frost.

Anyone that has been gearing for frost should give arcane a shot next lockout. I've been playing a haste arcane build all week without any real knowledge on what the optimal reforge or rotation is and have had good results.. I have my 4 set T15 which might explain it, but my reforge was simply hit>haste>all. Arcane blast to 4 stacks, missles, blast and missles until mana is gone, barrage, evocate, repeat while snapshotting NT with trinkets and such. I used frost armor for single target fights and mage armor for fights where I multidotted. Next week I will actually try reforging to mastery sometimes and just see what results I get.

You can check my gear and logs here: wow-heroes.com/character/us/Sen'jin/grackin/

You should probably play frost until you have 4p T15, though.

I think that the meta from the legendary quest pushes arcane over frost in terms of single target, so if you have that go arcane, if not go frost

with 509 ilvl you should be able to do 120 or more as fire. id say go with wahtever spec ur most comfortable playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrod View Post
    Anyone that has been gearing for frost should give arcane a shot next lockout. I've been playing a haste arcane build all week without any real knowledge on what the optimal reforge or rotation is and have had good results.. I have my 4 set T15 which might explain it, but my reforge was simply hit>haste>all. Arcane blast to 4 stacks, missles, blast and missles until mana is gone, barrage, evocate, repeat while snapshotting NT with trinkets and such. I used frost armor for single target fights and mage armor for fights where I multidotted. Next week I will actually try reforging to mastery sometimes and just see what results I get.

You can check my gear and logs here: wow-heroes.com/character/us/Sen'jin/grackin/

You should probably play frost until you have 4p T15, though.
    If you are raiding, then fire should be your spec. Look at raidbots for everage or check WOL, arcane is at the bottom of every fight. If you arent raiding or dont care then i guess play whichever you would like. Most people playing frost would be suprised to see how much dps they gain switching to fire, fire scales 10 times better than frost.

Quote Originally Posted by isadorr View Post
    If you are raiding, then fire should be your spec. Look at raidbots for everage or check WOL, arcane is at the bottom of every fight. If you arent raiding or dont care then i guess play whichever you would like. Most people playing frost would be suprised to see how much dps they gain switching to fire, fire scales 10 times better than frost.
    Raidbots tells you how other people are playing specs relative to each other and within spec/class, it does not tell you how well each class "should" perform. If one one is playing arcane then its numbers don't mean anything. This is the case atm. Also if you select top 100 fire looks better than it actually is due to RNG effects.

Besides all of that Arcane seems to do very well on Raidbots (Even being less than 1% of all parses).
    H Jinrokh:
    Fire -169k dps
    Arcane - 167k dps

H Horridon:
    Fire - 210
    Arcane - 240

H Council:
    Fire - 180
    Arcane - 205

H Tortos:
    Fire - 160
    Arcane - 167

Overall:
    Fire - 167
    Arcane - 175
    Last edited by Proakryt; 2013-04-19 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by isadorr View Post
    Arcane mage are 0.7% of mage atm, and raidbot isnt a bible.

I switched to fire having 36% crit, and it still was too RNG and frost is still performing better, or at least if a lot more predictable and not RNG.
    I think you'd be surprised if you tested Frost like it should be played. And Arcane too, check Shangalar's thread and go through is log, arcane seems ignored but is preforming really well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Arcane mage are 0.7% of mage atm, and raidbot isnt a bible.

I switched to fire having 36% crit, and it still was too RNG and frost is still performing better, or at least if a lot more predictable and not RNG.
    I think you'd be surprised if you tested Frost like it should be played. And Arcane too, check Shangalar's thread and go through is log, arcane seems ignored but is preforming really well too.
    That is the exact same experience I had. The reliability of fire just isn't good enough in a 10 man setting where your raid could have downed the boss if you didn't have crap RNG. I played frost with good numbers until trying arcane this week and can honestly say frost or arcane are both viable options if you want good solid dps on every single pull.