Deleted

Could this work? (putting a GTX 460 in an old OEM computer)

I have a friend with a very old computer from I guess 2006-2007. (when he bought it) for like 600 euros he had it including monitor and all.

Nowadays it's really slow of course and can't handle LoL. (well barely on minimum settings)

I was wondering, I have a old GTX 460 lying around here, and maybe that will fit in?

Thing is I don't even know if it has a PCIx16 slot and/or if the power supply is sufficient.

But let's say the slot is there and the PSU is 300Watts.

Would it be enough? I know it has to have +12 on the Vrail but I am afraid we can't figure out if it has.

The PSU should be labeled what it is, the wattage and the amps down the +12V.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNewbie View Post
    The PSU should be labeled what it is, the wattage and the amps down the +12V.
    Alright. I am going to him in about 3 hours.

Hopefully it can work. I am guesing it's 300 watts though, that would be fair for an OEM pc.

10+ Year Old Account
    "300w" is kind of a tossup. Because that is what a lot of OEMs use, and a lot of those are.. well.. not 300w. However, I'm running a 460 on a "300w" that I purchased, but its a decent one. So.. again.. Kind of a tossup. Make sure you bring a PCI-E power adapter, because it likely doesnt have one
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    "300w" is kind of a tossup. Because that is what a lot of OEMs use, and a lot of those are.. well.. not 300w. However, I'm running a 460 on a "300w" that I purchased, but its a decent one. So.. again.. Kind of a tossup. Make sure you bring a PCI-E power adapter, because it likely doesnt have one
    Indeed, hopefully it has a slot for the adapter.

From http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...undup),13.html:
    On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 to 500 Watt power supply unit.
    That's not to say that 300W is not enough, but it has to be a high quality power supply, and the ones that come in prebuilt PCs normally are not high quality.

Also, there's no such thing as "+12 on the Vrail". What you're referring to is the 12V rail, which is the rail that powers a lot of what's inside the computer, including the video card. The 460 requires at least 24Amps on the 12V rail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    From http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...undup),13.html:

That's not to say that 300W is not enough, but it has to be a high quality power supply, and the ones that come in prebuilt PCs normally are not high quality.

Also, there's no such thing as "+12 on the Vrail". What you're referring to is the 12V rail, which is the rail that powers a lot of what's inside the computer, including the video card. The 460 requires at least 24Amps on the 12V rail.
    I know about the rail but I really thought it was called +12 on the vrail. My bad...

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 07:58 PM ----------

Oh well too bad, the PSU had merely 240V and 16 amps.
    No way that could handle it.