Poll: Where do you stand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    did you actually just paste the exact same, word for word post on teamliquid?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=408437
    Yep, what's wrong with that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    This. Also, monarchism is part of a lot of European countries' history, and is a part of their identities. Though I certainly preferd the Swedish monarchies of the past, they had absolutely stunning clothing, instead of the boring business suits monarchies use today.

The Swedish king has his hats though. Doesn't seem like a boring business suit guy.

'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Canadian and moving away from the monarchy would simply be pointless.

It would be a expensive, annoying, divisive, and in the end, if it actually went through*, it would have absolutely no meaningful effect on anything, as the GG/Monarch's role in government is entirely ceremonial nowadays.

*not guaranteed. Such a change would require a Section 41 unanimity amendment to the constitution. That means that the Federal government and all 10 provincial governments (who by convention would need to hold referendums about it) would need to agree to it, not merely 2/3rds.
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-04-18 at 08:20 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Because it is an enormous industry, and the Royal Family have such great business ties, that they can almost go to any arabic nation, and demand a deal and it'll get done!

I'm very proud when I see our national events, such as the Olympics, Jubilee & even recently Margret Thatchers Funeral. The see our Armed Forces, The Queen and the People all out to show their respects and honours, just reminds me of how great this nation used to be, and it then makes a little sad to see how far we've fallen!

(Note: I'm not talking about colonial era, more modern history (1970+))

Quote Originally Posted by lostprophet12 View Post
    I would love to get rid of the monarchy. I'm always surprised whenever there is some event and they show parts of the UK having street parties for the royal wedding/jubilee etc I don't recognise that UK at all.
    Well, it wouldn't be called the "United Kingdom" then.

There would be a 300M GBP hole in the treasury that would need filling. Where do you propose getting that money from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we were the first monarchy in the world - so not having it any more.. Idk, it just feels sort of weird?
    I've seen the queen a few times, but only in passing; when she's out doing stuff, and I'm on my bike riding past. Im indifferent really..
    I like juice

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    but it wouldn't be london without pigeons
    Truth be told, one of my favorite areas in London is Trafalgar Square, right on the steps of the National Gallery. I had probably the best breakfast ever in that spot when I visited a few years back. Bacon Butty and a coffee from a chippy across from the hotel I was at, at like 9am after hopping on an open top bus an hour earlier...getting off at Trafalgar and eating that delicious son of a bitch on the steps of the Gallery while the sun came up.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The United Republic doesn't have the same ring, does it?

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    Well, we were the first monarchy in the world - so not having it any more.. Idk, it just feels sort of weird?
    Huh? There have been kings since antiquity. Probably before that. Certainly Rome had kings.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    God save t' Queen, nuff said.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

There would be a 300M GBP hole in the treasury that would need filling. Where do you propose getting that money from?
    I never said it would be called the UK if we abolished the monarchy, but thanks for pointing that out to me.

I don't have any suggestions as to where we would get that money from, I don't care either. I believe we should be a republic, I think having a monarchy in this day and age is frankly embarrassing. The financial aspect never enters it for me.

I would love to get rid of the monarchy. I'm always surprised whenever there is some event and they show parts of the UK having street parties for the royal wedding/jubilee etc I don't recognise that UK at all.
    So you want to get rid of a billion dollar tourist attraction, and get rid of some of the best business dealers we have, for what?

I really wish some people would do some research about what the Royal Family does before making comments. Honestly, if it came to another Civil War with the Crown vs Parliament, I'd be with the Crown, and i'd take down as many of the opposition as possible!

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 09:23 PM ----------

I never said it would be called the UK if we abolished the monarchy, but thanks for pointing that out to me.

I don't have any suggestions as to where we would get that money from, I don't care either. I believe we should be a republic, I think having a monarchy in this day and age is frankly embarrassing. The financial aspect never enters it for me.
    A Monarchy that has no political influence, and has no legal grounds to enforce or abolish laws, and has had all rights to rule the nation as previous monarchs did, but brings in billions, allows for easier trading in the Far & Middle East (They LOVE our Monarchy) ...

And you want to see it abolished why exactly?

Deleted
    Love the Queen.

Makes me proud to be British. We're the envy of countries round the world and our monarchy has a very rich history. Why abolish it? What gains would we see?

Not to mention the amount of income it brings in for the country.

Thank the Queen we're not America.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    So you want to get rid of a billion dollar tourist attraction, and get rid of some of the best business dealers we have, for what?

I really wish some people would do some research about what the Royal Family does before making comments. Honestly, if it came to another Civil War with the Crown vs Parliament, I'd be with the Crown, and i'd take down as many of the opposition as possible!
    I don't care one bit about the financial aspects of this argument. It's a political position that I firmly believe in. If you think keeping a family because of tourism fine, that's your opinion, don't expect me to agree because of a few hundred million pound. Being a republic means more than that.

As a Canadian, I can't really see what point there would be in moving away from the monarchy. As others have said, they're essentially figureheads. It's a combination of tradition and national pride. For me, anyways.

I don't care one bit about the financial aspects of this argument. It's a political position that I firmly believe in. If you think keeping a family because of tourism fine, that's your opinion, don't expect me to agree because of a few hundred million pound. Being a republic means more than that.
    I think the issue is that your only real argument so far have been "Being a republic is the way to go" and "I don't care about the money."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The Swedish king has his hats though. Doesn't seem like a boring business suit guy.

If only that was real.

Well, I'm not really being fair, Carl XVI Gustaf does have some kickass setups at times.

"A republic is a form of government in which the country is considered a "public matter" (Latin: res publica), not the private concern or property of the rulers"

Which part of that is being hindered by having the royal family hanging around earning money for the country and being generally good people?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    if there is nothing wrong why oppose it?

there have been plenty of countries that have dethroned kings/queens if they are unhappy.

So, you're going to totally ignore the billions the Royal Family bring in, that pays for the NHS, Benefits, Roads, Water, Electricity? Where would you bring that money from then? You can't choose to ignore the financial implications of removing the Monarchy, because without those billions, we'd be even closer to the bottom of the financial pole ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I don't think it really matters as long as things work fine.

For example, Czech Republic has a strong republican tradition but is in a political shithole right now, while Canada, being "ruled" by a queen, is one of the best places on Earth.
    also this, everyone loved my motherland's monarch...but after their death along with closest succesor we had shithead next of kins as king etc...and now the country is a republic albiet still being ruled by cunt of politician

The last time we had a Republic in England it was the bloodiest consecutive two and a half decades in British history (the Civil Wars, 1642-48 and the following military dictatorship under Cromwell from 1649-62) and it kicked off the trouble in Ireland that we are still trying to patch over. So yeah...