Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is gear more important than skill?

Let me start by saying I don't PVP much, but it seems to me that PVP should be based strictly on skill and not gear, back in my day FPS DM we only used the weapon was given to us, it seems unfair to have other players wait to get the gear to even play at half your top geared players, its frustrating and does not make any sense to me, this is why I don't do PVP.
    Just think about it, you log on a few month from now you don't need to get the top gear, once you are in RBG everyone has same ilvl and you just use tactics and skills to win.

Because in an MMO gear progression is an essential part of gameplay. I'm not too crazy about it either, but believe me if it wasn't there the game would be a lot more boring.

Deleted
    Because if you have zero gear you dont do damage!

They could normalize it, much like they do with Challenge Dungeons. They gear you get has no stats, but you can get a full set of the cool looking gear. Maybe keep the set bonuses and such, but normalize everything else. Let's let these pro's with more free time than the rest of us prove how much better they are. Normalize all gear, and pvp in WoW might actually start to be looked at positively by the rest of the gaming community. Right now it's a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear will always matter in an MMO however blizzard is actively reducing the gear dependency by adding passive Resilience, adding a ceiling, etc...
    I wouldn't be surprised if in a few patches the only differences in gear will be your gemming, enchanting and reforging.

Frankly I disagree that it's more important than skill. Important? sure. More important? Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by jaber2 View Post
    Let me start by saying I don't PVP much, but it seems to me that PVP should be based strictly on skill and not gear, back in my day FPS DM we only used the weapon was given to us, it seems unfair to have other players wait to get the gear to even play at half your top geared players, its frustrating and does not make any sense to me, this is why I don't do PVP.
    Just think about it, you log on a few month from now you don't need to get the top gear, once you are in RBG everyone has same ilvl and you just use tactics and skills to win.
    I don't work much, but when I work I want to earn as much money as those people that work much

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Frankly I disagree that it's more important than skill. Important? sure. More important? Absolutely not.
    Depends. You can't get glad with greens and insane level play, but you COULD get glad with an OP comp, amazing broken pve trinkets and semi-average skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    I wonder how you'd feel if gear was completely eliminated? as long as PVP is relying on gear it would not be a fair fight

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 10:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Utakatagaming View Post
    Because if you have zero gear you dont do damage!
    I have ilvl 508 PVE gear and top PVP killing blows when I do RBG, do you think its fair?

Deleted

Thumbs down

......it Mathers when you want 2pick one of two equal skilled players (at the same rating or what ever you messure "skill" is) to bring along to your pvp Group?
    Who you take? the one who lacks in gear or the one who have better gear and by that will do more damage/healing?

Stupid question...

15+ Year Old Account
    I have ilvl 508 PVE gear and top PVP killing blows when I do RBG, do you think its fair?
    you may try to do that as enh, in 483 ilvl pvp gear im dying in 5 sec, in pve 507 ilvl gear im dying in 3 gg

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kosajk View Post
    you may try to do that as enh, in 483 ilvl pvp gear im dying in 5 sec, in pve 507 ilvl gear im dying in 3 gg
    Did I say I'm shadow priest? I might have killed you in less than 3 sec

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Depends. You can't get glad with greens and insane level play, but you COULD get glad with an OP comp, amazing broken pve trinkets and semi-average skill.
    Using extremes always makes for a compelling argument.

Now for a realistic scenario. A great player in honor gear doesn't automatically lose to a mediocre player in conquest gear.

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 02:12 PM ----------

I wonder how you'd feel if gear was completely eliminated? as long as PVP is relying on gear it would not be a fair fight[COLOR="red"]
    I don't think that should happen. I do think PvP gearing should be much more narrow and restrictive though. I'd like to see everyone given a full honor set at 90 to start PvP with and work up to a conquest set over the season, thus majorly decreasing the gear gap between new and long time players while still keeping the RPG gearing progression intact. I think starting from quest blues and working all the way to conquest is too much of a disparity.

Let me start by saying I don't PVE much, but it seems to me that PVE should be based strictly on skill and not gear, back in my day Legend of Zelda we only used the weapon was given to us, it seems unfair to have other players wait to get the gear to even play at half your top Heroic geared players, its frustrating and does not make any sense to me, this is why I don't do PVE.
    Just think about it, you log on a few month from now you don't need to get the top Heroic gear, once you are in Raid everyone has same ilvl and you just use tactics and skills to win.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Etoo View Post
    They could normalize it, much like they do with Challenge Dungeons. They gear you get has no stats, but you can get a full set of the cool looking gear. Maybe keep the set bonuses and such, but normalize everything else. Let's let these pro's with more free time than the rest of us prove how much better they are. Normalize all gear, and pvp in WoW might actually start to be looked at positively by the rest of the gaming community. Right now it's a joke.
    I agree. Challenge Dungeons were genius because they allow for some serious competition (it's not about who got the best drops or who has farmed the most points) while still preserving the essence of RPG progression with the most powerful equipment coming from elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    your not going to be able to kill anything in PVP with out good gear. No matter how good your skill is at pvp if you can counter every move or use every add on the gear will always be more important because it gives off stats like resilience and all that jazz

Deleted
    Did I say I'm shadow priest? I might have killed you in less than 3 sec
    Killing someone in 3 seconds (3 global cooldowns) as a shadow priest. Ye... not happening

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, as someone that's recently came back to the game and only has crafted gear and a few honour pieces, it's ridiculous. Doing some arena with my friend and it doesn't matter how well I play, get facerolled. One example was I was against a Mage and a BM Hunter, my partner went to the Hunter to cc him and the Mage came towards me, he opened with pet freeze and deeped to which I Bestialed out of and popped Master's Call as he froze me again. Can't get frozen so gives me some time to damage him and for my partner to come, loljk, Frost Orb proccing FoF and I get facerolled by 60k Ice Lances and 80K FFB and die in seconds. Sure you can say I should've used cd's or something but I was dead so quick from an unexpected situation (no freeze) that it overwhelmed me. The gear progression is too steep imo and it's hard on players that haven't played for a while. Obviously the people that have played will have better gear, but the difference seems to be completely ridiculous.

I agree with this topic, mainly because of season 12. Without your t1 weapon you couldn't get into any RBG groups. Later that season you needed it 2/2 upgraded! I believe that there should be better then average gear in pvp, but it not affect how a player is looked at because of their item level. Give gear an significant amount of stats to make it more appealing to pvp rather then jumping in with raid or heroic dungeon gear, but don't make gameplay too dependent on gear as much as it should be able skill. Player versus player is supposed to be "Skill" based. Not who has the bigger stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Defibbs View Post
    I agree with this topic, mainly because of season 12. Without your t1 weapon you couldn't get into any RBG groups. Later that season you needed it 2/2 upgraded! I believe that there should be better then average gear in pvp, but it not affect how a player is looked at because of their item level. Give gear an significant amount of stats to make it more appealing to pvp rather then jumping in with raid or heroic dungeon gear, but don't make gameplay too dependent on gear as much as it should be able skill. Player versus player is supposed to be "Skill" based. Not who has the bigger stick.
    No. Big no. I despise the notion of fotm rerollers. Gear progression should be there to discourage rerolling to whatever is currently the best spec.

You want to play the new trend? You will have to suffer while gearing up to those that stick with their characters and their shitiness.

And trust me having the wrong spec in a RBG is much worse than having bad gear. I've seen countless of RBG leaders to deny my spec in favour of a questionable gear lock or dk or boomkin, to completely dominate them in the next game. Class > Gear regarding RBGS.