Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Unicorns? Not really a monsters, but...

I'd like to see traditional Chimaera, Manticore (although the horde "Wyvern" is basically a Manticore with a more bestial face). A lot of mythological and D&D monsters are humanoid in appearance though, so there'd be too much overlap (e.g. Rakshasa are basically like the troll "SHIRVALA GIVE ME STRENGTH" guy, a Tiger-man) but I think they dropped the ball a bit with this expansion as I expected a lot more Japanese and Chinese-themed monsters (I forget most of the names right now, bear with me): Kappas (bipedal turtle-like demons, also fun fact the inspiration for the Koopa in Mario), the Jiang Shi/Kyonshi (jumping zombie/vampire), the floating disembodied head/vampire, Jorogumo (Demon that appears like a lady and turns into an evil spider demon, would have been a fun outdoor boss/rare, and they have the Nerubian/Mantid model that could work as a base for the spider form as in a lot of media she appears like a Drider/Lolth creature), Jubokko (evil vampire tree), Bake-kujira (undead whale skeleton), Gashadokuro (giant skeleton that is the spirit of the unburied dead, could be like a rare with those big giant skeleton models)... the list goes on. I expected more myths and folklore (the haunted well, for instance).

I like some of the references but I think they went overboard, e.g. we didn't need all of the stupid poop-flinging "gonna ook you in the dooker you grooker" veiled profanity-using Hozen, but maybe a few with a reference to Sun Wukong/Son Goku (Monkey King) would have been fine. I expected more of a reference to Three Kingdoms/Journey to the West/Water Margin as well that they didn't deliver.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-04-20 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivrax View Post
    Wyverns. Similar to dragons, but no front paws (wings in their place), animal-like intelligence and poisoned tail.

A real scaly one, not this furry flying lion-scorpion.
    I agree on that. As Arothand said, those are actually Manticores. Real wyverns would look more akin to dragons, and they should introduce some in wow while changing the wyvern names to manticores.

Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    I agree on that. As Arothand said, those are actually Manticores. Real wyverns would look more akin to dragons, and they should introduce some in wow while changing the wyvern names to manticores.
    The main difference between a Wyvern and a true dragon as I remember from D&D was:

1) Wyverns don't have front claws, they're bipedal; their wings end in small claws but they don't use them to attack (they bite and use tail)
    2) Wyvern has the poison tail (it's NOT a scorpion tail, it just has a hooked claw at the end and they have a poison gland)
    3) Wyverns don't have breath weapon
    4) Wyverns are animals and not intelligent, unlike dragons

Also, apart from the ICC ones which are basically blood-elves, wow doesn't have any vampires. You know, that kind that can't stay in the sun and actively sucks blood. I'm pretty sure the san'layn out in bright daylight.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    The main difference between a Wyvern and a true dragon as I remember from D&D was:

1) Wyverns don't have front claws, they're bipedal; their wings end in small claws but they don't use them to attack (they bite and use tail)
    2) Wyvern has the poison tail (it's NOT a scorpion tail, it just has a hooked claw at the end and they have a poison gland)
    I did say they look more akin to dragons. Nothing more. Still totally different than the wow wyverns, blizz really mixed them up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    nathrezim are pretty vampire-like too

Quote Originally Posted by Dezarus View Post
    nathrezim are pretty vampire-like too
    They are more demon-like than they are vampire-like. Apart from fangs, everything else screams demon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post

Ehmm, REAL Wyvern Lore existed Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before D&D was even in the though..so no idea why ppl think D&D are the most awesome source for Fantasy stuff..when real lore on stuff existed way before D&D..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vriska View Post
    Corehound in azuremyst

Druid swim form?

Lol. closest thing are those pretty stags, milling around pandaria.

Agreed, the Isle of Giants, could been a bit more interesting. If only those water dragon sauroks had a poison spit.

Evil puppets, seen in the Queen Azshara fight.

Crawling hand pet

---------------------------------------------------------
    Welp Guess my turn to name a few movie creatures.

Graboids.-Tremors

Mogwai- Gremlins

Critters- old cheesy 80's movie, with the same name.

Chestbursters - Alien
    Cruise around Northrend, there are zombies and mooses everywhere.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet: Unicorns, unless I am forgetting something there are NO unicorns in WoW. Also we suffer from a distinct lack of pixies, we've got faerie dragons but no faeries? No Incubi either, which is really weird since there are succubi.
    Zhevra

Quel'dorei Steed

it's as close as you'll get to unicorns.

I agree though, we need more faeries !
    Last edited by mmoc29a7c2362f; 2013-04-20 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDragon91 View Post
    Ehmm, REAL Wyvern Lore existed Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before D&D was even in the though..so no idea why ppl think D&D are the most awesome source for Fantasy stuff..when real lore on stuff existed way before D&D..
    Do tell, I think most of us would be rather pleased to hear about it. People refer to D&D because it was the first (i think) fantasy-based game. Or amongst the first anyway.

Deleted
    They are more demon-like than they are vampire-like. Apart from fangs, everything else screams demon.
    Vampires, as far as I'm concerned do not fit really well in warcraft, except of course for the wow version of vampire (like nathrezim and Blood-Queen Lana'thel). But maybe it's because vampires are getting overused theses days and I don't want to see more of them. That being said, Nathrezims do look more like demons than vampire.

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 12:39 PM ----------

Do tell, I think most of us would be rather pleased to hear about it. People refer to D&D because it was the first (i think) fantasy-based game. Or amongst the first anyway.
    Wyvern lore exist since at least 1066 AC, just google it. Most of the things you'll find in D&D or even tolkien comes from already existing mythology and other stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc29a7c2362f; 2013-04-20 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knumskul View Post
    Both can be found in cata. Uldum specifically.

We're missing Edward cullens. The sparkly kind
    the darkfallen of the scourge are the vampires of WoW. they don't sparkle, but the way they dress up makes up for that
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    -Hippos (I'd like them as the ogre racial mount plox)
    -Whales (not shark whales of orca, actual whales) and Sperm Whales
    -(Giant) Octopi
    -Mummies (undead ones, not Ethereals)

Also, Proto-drakes are the closest we got to actual wyverns, even though they're only winged T-Rexes.. :/

Damn, Blizz actually covered lots of mythos and fauna in this game..

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    The birdmen of skettis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeksis
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Not really a new monster but I'd like to see Ooze lore expanded upon. In Vanilla it was mentioned very briefly that Viscidus (AQ40) was the most powerful ooze ever known and that the oozes may be connected to the Old Gods, as well as himself possibly being a demigod.

To my knowledge Blizzard never really explored Oozes again.

Deleted
    we dnt want vampires in wow cos then it will attract all the bloody twilight fans into wow,

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
    The birdmen of skettis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeksis
    the arrakoa are based off the skeksis from the dark crystal.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the arrakoa are based off the skeksis from the dark crystal.
    I thought it was the aarakocra from DnD... then even have similar names