10+ Year Old Account

LFR Jalak's staff vs LFR Gao-Rei with Gem

I have both and I have been using Jalak's staff since it is an obvious dps boost but would the extra agi be better? I am also way over the Hit cap and just under the 15% expertise cap and Gao-Rei would deal with that.

My question, other than which staff to use, is are my stats more important than the base damage when it comes to tanking?

I'm actually trying it with dual wield the fists from Empress in HOF. I like the crit rate of dual wielding, thus more Elusive Brew procs. As far as that, if you're using the LFR sha-touched staff and it's not upgraded, you may be able to pull a bit more from using the one from Horridon. I haven't done the numbers, but it's close to being a toss-up just from base stats. It depends really on your other gear too, remember that. Remember to factor in your haste and crit for uptime on Shuffle and Elusive Brew procs before deciding which route you're going to take.

Deleted
    The jalak staff really sucks if you're way over hit-cap. It basically means you can only get 40% of it reforged and the rest is wasted, while the other stat is mastery (which you probably don't really want) and you can't reforge out of that anymore, while you could on the gao-rei. Brewmasters don't really scale that awesome with weapon damage, nor is it your most important thing to do when tanking. Jalak staff would mean losing out on a bunch of agility, a bunch of secondaries, and get 300 or so stamina in return so I'd say stick to gao-rei for now. Once you can use all the hit on the staff things may change.

Edit: assuming you can not use any of the hit from jalak, and you use a crit/stam gem because of that to match the socket bonus, it boils down to: Gao-rei gives 310 more agility, 734 expertise, while jalak gives 333 more mastery, 227 more crit and 435 stamina. That is after reforging. I don't really think it's close given agility and expertise are probably more what you are looking for than stamina and mastery.
    Last edited by mmocfb5d9aca2a; 2013-04-21 at 04:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a lot. I figured that the stats were more important than the damage. I just had a friend bugging me about why i wasn't using the 502 staff to do more damage while tanking.