Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need help falling asleep

So I've been awake for 30 hours now and at the 24 hour mark I did something really stupid. I started surfing on my phone and after an hour I'm not tired anymore. I have to be awake in 12 hours so I'm starting to get some real anxiety, which stops my ability to sleep even further... Right now I'm fully awake.

Anyone have any tips? :s

Deleted
    Get off the internet and get to bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat a lot of sugar. When you crash, you'll be tired.

Deleted
    First generation antihistamines if you can get your hands on that? o.o
    Valeriana?
    Melatonin?
    Zolpidem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Antihistamines. Nyquil works.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Well I don't really have any of those stuff I think... it's in the middle of the night so can't really leave my house to buy stuff. :S

Rub one out seems to be pretty effective.

Deleted
    Release some endorphins.. Just sayin'

smoke a bowl. Or hunt down some melatonin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Benadryl?? You don't have benadryl at your house!?

Deleted
    Maybe listen to some chill music while laying in bed ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Benadryl?? You don't have benadryl at your house!?
    Sorry, super ignorant to that kinda stuff. :s

I'm gonna try to stay awake for a while longer... hopefully I become tired again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    Maybe listen to some chill music while laying in bed ?
    Ye I was thinking something like this. Gonna try find some of those super long videos.

This might sound weird, and like it'll never work, but hear me out:

If you don't have any meds that can help induce sleep this is what works for me:

First u gotta convince urself that if you don't get tired, you're simply just not going to go to sleep and you have to be ok with that. You have to mean it, and understand that this is a real possibility, if it happens chances are you'll get tired later in the day, but know you'll make it through. Now go about doing something else, something you enjoy that really takes your mind off sleeping. I find reading something I'm really interested in works the best. I tell myself I might end up sitting here all night reading or doing whatever else I choose to do, but you really need to get into what you're doing, you're not doing this to procrastinate till you sleep, your possibly doing this all night and that's the mentality you need to have. And that may very well happen. Chance are tho, it will not, and your eyes will start feeling heavy. That doesn't mean go to bed right away. Keep reading or doing w/e until you just can't anymore. Eventually, you'll be longing for your bed so much the second you hit, you'll be out like a light. It also helps to sit on a stool or uncomfortable chair while you do this. By the time you start feeling tired, your back will be aching from discomfort, and you'll find yourself just longing to lay down. Wait till you just can't stand it anymore, lay down, and pass out.

The real key is accepting that you might not sleep. Don't tell yourself you WILL sleep, you can't fool yourself, if you really felt this way you'd probably already be asleep. Tell yourself you very well MIGHT NOT sleep at all, and be ok with that. Just think of how many times you've wished you could stay awake longer and get more stuff done. Remember those nights at sleepovers as a kid where you tried so hard not to fall asleep and treasure the fact that you can now utilize and enjoy this free time, and almost paradoxically you'll likely soon start feeling those eyes gettin heavy.

I discovered this in college, and I think it all comes down to anxiety and it's ability to keep you awake. Whenever I had difficult exams, I never had a problem staying up and studying all night for them. I was in engineering school and I was almost always very nervous for my exams and the anxiety would keep me up without a problem. But sometimes I'd have an exam that I just felt like I couldn't study for anymore and all I wanted was a good night's sleep to help function optimally the next day. But in that case, I'd never be able to; once I had told myself I needed to fall alseep and that wasn't happening, I became anxious about the exam again, because now I'm worried I won't sleep and I won't perform on the exam because I'll be tired. So I'd say fuck it, if I'm going to be up all night anyways, I might as well be studying, so I'd pickup my book and get to it. Before I knew it, my eyes would be heavy, and I'd wake up the next morning in my book. The key was, I accepted that I was going to be up all night, so the stress about falling asleep, and the repurcussions of not, went away, because I was now dealing with them in a different way. But note, that on rare occasions I did end up staying up all night when I didn't want to. You have to accept that. It's part of the process. But in my experience it ends up being a small percentage as weird as that sounds.

O and of course like the other posters said: rub one out.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2013-04-24 at 12:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take a few Tylenol PMs. Masturbate furiously. Furiously.

You'll thank me later.

Put on Apollo 13. I've seriously tried to watch that movies 20 times, never make it past the 30 minute mark. To this day, i still have yet to finish it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There have been a few times I couldn't get to sleep after long periods of staying up. Sometimes I found Bob Marley Mellow Mood helped me get right to sleep (contains valerian root and chamomile) which helps with sleep. I'm sure you can find other things that contain it but specifically if you wanted to buy something to help you sleep it might work for you.

Alcohol?
    Drink a few beers, everyone has beer or wine or w/e.
    Makes you fall in sleep so much easier, though the sleep itself will be less efficient and ofcourse alcohol is bad!
    You really need to sleep? Smoke some weed, combined with alcohol that stuff will knock you down =)
    Dunno if weed is legalized at your place though.
    And ofcourse the melatonin! That i think is not bad for you, melatonin is heavily used in USA, not so much in the EU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Put on Apollo 13. I've seriously tried to watch that movies 20 times, never make it past the 30 minute mark. To this day, i still have yet to finish it.
    Haha, I don't have a TV in my room though (don't judge).

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Take a few Tylenol PMs. Masturbate furiously. Furiously.

You'll thank me later.
    Everyone is suggesting fapping but to be frank I'm really not in the mood, I have already done it twice today.

Quote Originally Posted by Micfeind View Post
    Is that just a normal radio station?

Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    snip
    Yeah but the thing is, I have already been awake for so long so staying up even longer feels bad, I feel like I'm killing myself (even if I know people have stayed up for way more).

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 12:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    Alcohol?
    Drink a few beers, everyone has beer or wine or w/e.
    Makes you fall in sleep so much easier, though the sleep itself will be less efficient and ofcourse alcohol is bad!
    You really need to sleep? Smoke some weed, combined with alcohol that stuff will knock you down =)
    Dunno if weed is legalized at your place though.
    And ofcourse the melatonin! That i think is not bad for you, melatonin is heavily used in USA, not so much in the EU.
    Can't really go out to buy stuff lol. I will try alcohol if I'm still awake in 2 hours probably...