Poll: Do you own/how many guns?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    And you're absolutely correct.

Believe me, I'm not a nasty person. It's the people that we're surrounded by, it's gotten so bad in this area - sorta west of London. England is in such a state at the moment, I'm considering moving abroad. I've not felt safe here for years.

where abouts west of london? im just west of london and its nice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynards View Post
    Dont have , dont need. fucking rebuplicans....
    I'm going to point out something that you probably don't want to read:

My voter registration card states that I am a republican. What it doesn't state are some of my non-republican views, like pro-choice.

See, here's the thing: Democrats/Liberals own guns, too. Some of them are pro-life. Some of them hate taxes and big government. Just like some Republicans are pro-choice, anti-gun, and like big government.

Being a member of a political party does not mean that you believe in everything that party expouses. Saying "fucking rebuplicans" just shows that you can't think for yourself -- your political party is doing all the thinking for you. Good luck with that.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    And you're absolutely correct.

Believe me, I'm not a nasty person. It's the people that we're surrounded by, it's gotten so bad in this area - sorta west of London. England is in such a state at the moment, I'm considering moving abroad. I've not felt safe here for years.
    It is not England that is shit, it is the large cities, move away from London that place is a shithole.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RyokuchaMidori View Post
    I don't own a gun but in the meantime I live in france, would really like to see how it works.
    Unless you want to hunt, you have to jump through so many hoops, it's not even worth it.

A few:

Pistols:
    Ruger MkIII (.22)
    S&W M&P9 (9mm)
    S&W M&P9 Shield (9mm, CCW)
    S&W M&P45 (.45 ACP)
    Walther P22 (.22, CCW)

Long Guns:
    Marlin .336 (30-30)
    Old Remington Shotgun (12g, pump, pistol grip)
    Old Mossberg Shotgun (410g, pump)
    Old Double Barrel Shotgun (410g)

Add in the GF's

Ruger snubnose (.357/.38)
    S&W M&P15-22LR (.22, "assault weapon" and it's pink)

Oh and I have suppressors for the .22s and the 9mms.

Edit: Almost forgot the "knuckle biter" Single shot derringer, no markings, no safety, no trigger guard, fires a 410g..."knuckle biter."
    Last edited by Tasttey; 2013-04-23 at 06:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    where abouts west of london? im just west of london and its nice here.
    High Wycombe.

It's notorious for crime. We harbored terrorists here too for a while.

I'd love to move - but no money. It's a shitty situation and It's been boiling my piss for the last four years.

Deleted
    High Wycombe.

It's notorious for crime. We harbored terrorists here too for a while.

I'd love to move - but no money. It's a shitty situation and It's been boiling my piss for the last four years.

oh pretty close to me, i thought high wycombe was quite nice, but ive only been there a few times. theres a really nice milkshake shop in the shopping centre there. i didn't think the crime was that high there though, gonna have to look it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    But pressurized cylinders are potentially dangerous items! No reason to have that around the house. I live in the US where house fires are handled by the local fire department. I clearly have no use for a fire extinguisher.
    Can you put a fire out with a gun?

Jesus, are conservatives false equivalence factories? Every day its a new bad analogy how "X should be banned because it's dangerous and somehow the same exact thing as a gun"
    Putin khuliyo

oh, i also have a pellet gun that's 1200fps. it's louder than the .22 if you shoot it without a pellet in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Well home invasions are rare in Europe, if someone breaks in it is to steal your stuff not to murder you and rape your dog. Often they flee at the first sign that they have been spotted.[COLOR="red"]
    It happens more and more in France. Old people in isolated houses homejacked, tortured, killed, and so on. The elucidation rate is very low. Very few traces left. This sometimes almost sounds like what the gladio network did during the cold war in Italia. During the past 3 years I counted at least 40 of these. Nothing compared to Mexico's criminal rate, sure, but still. And media silence on this is astounding, except on rare cases like 4 years ago with the "gang of barbarians" case.

Strange enough, when shit like this happens in an isolated french village, the local armorer is assaulted by people buying every shotgun and ammo they can. I guess people prefer to have a gun at house than call the "local" gendarmerie located 30 kilometers away and only opened from 8 am to 6 pm... Except on sunday when it's not opened at all.

Aren't these people funny?

On a side note:
    Yeah, nowadays they are moving towards the 6.8mm round which the Brits advocated back in the 1950's......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EM-2_rifle

Bloody yanks.....mutter, mutter, grumble.....
    M855A1 says hi.
    ...Well, actually, LSAT (wich still fire a 5.56 caseless or telescoped round) also says hi.

I doubt we'll ever see a 6.xx caliber in a standard issued rifle for the standard infantryman. What remaining money does the US have to waste on dead ends projects anyway? (except F35, hu hu hu)

On topic: i used to have a .22 which I sold as I didn't had a safe to keep it secured, I aslo had my hands on several unallowed things I hopefully never personnaly kept at my house. IE typical WW1&2 "material" and some Balkan or ex-ussr "souvenirs". The only weapon of interrest I currently keep at home is my fellow F1 dagger, the standard issued bayonet used with Famas rifle. Not very good as a knife, but it can do the job if needed. I hope it won't.
    Last edited by mmocf4b615a1a4; 2013-04-23 at 07:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    62% own none? So if someone breaks into your house you just let them have their way with you? Hope the people with none dont have families or anyone else to protect.
    First, it's fair to point out that a huge portion of forum users are from Europe and many live in locations where guns are illegal or heavily restricted.

Second, there are a lot of serious considerations when it comes to using a firearm for home defense. In my home, we have at least six and none of them are intended to be used for this purpose.

Most obviously, to make use of a firearm realistically for home defense requires that one leave the gun loaded (or with ammo in close proximity) in a readily available location. If it's unloaded, in a gun safe, in a room you aren't frequently in, the odds of being able to access it and load it quickly are small. This is why people often keep them in the bedroom, for nighttime home invasions. Personally I am not comfortable leaving a loaded gun just sitting in a drawer or cabinet somewhere on the off chance we have an intruder and I am lucky enough to be in a position to safely retrieve it. We have guests (including occasional minors) and maintenance people in our home regularly. It is an invitation for an accidental shooting or a theft.

But also people need to realise that brandishing a firearm under threat is also a risky endeavour. At worst, you can have the gun taken from, arming a previously unarmed intruder. You also have to consider that if both of you have guns, no one is likely going to profit from that situation. You want to get into a firefight and hope you're the one that comes out on top? Remember, they are the criminal who obviously has bad judgment, and you can't really count on them to have the common sense to realise that "hm, this might not work out well for me since we both have guns." You might be better off letting them help themselves to your replaceable material goods in hopes they leave you alone.

Third, you have to consider that in a lot of locations, shooting someone even under threat of life is not often a open-and-shut case. Even if totally legal, you can have your life turned upsidedown until the police come to the conclusion you were acting in self defense. It could mean paperwork, court appearances, firearms confiscated and home searched, loss of job, or even jail time. At best it's an inconvenient headache, and worst it could ruin you. Almost always, use of lethal force is a big grey area.

Nevermind the emotional impact of killing or injuring another person. You might be okay with that now when the thread is just your mental image of some evil strange man, but you might feel differently when you realised you just ended the life of some young kid down the street because he made a stupid decision.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to keep a gun for self defense. Some people might be okay with those risks and that's totally fine. It's a something every gun owner has to evaluate, but it's definitely something people should evaluate and not just jump to "I have a gun, my home is safe!" without contemplating the scenario on a realistic level. Personally, I'm not comfortable with the responsibility you take on when you make that decision. At most, I might consider a shotgun since typically the sound of racking it alone can cause fear and potentially scare the person off.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexa View Post
    It happens more and more in France. Old people in isolated houses homejacked, tortured, killed, and so on. The elucidation rate is very low. Very few traces left. This sometimes almost sounds like what the gladio network did during the cold war in Italia. During the past 3 years I counted at least 40 of these. Nothing compared to Mexico's criminal rate, sure, but still. And media silence on this is astounding, except on rare cases like 4 years ago with the "gang of barbarians" case.

Strange enough, when shit like this happens in an isolated french village, the local armorer is assaulted by people buying every shotgun and ammo they can. I guess people prefer to have a gun at house than call the "local" gendarmerie located 30 kilometers away and only opened from 8 am to 6 pm.

Aren't these people funny?

On a side note:

M855A1 says hi.
    ...Well, actually, LSAT (wich still fire a 5.56 caseless or telescoped round) also says hi.

I doubt we'll ever see a 6.xx caliber in a standard issued rifle for the standard infantryman. What remaining money does the US have to waste on dead ends projects anyway? (except F35, hu hu hu)

On topic: i used to have a .22 which I sold as I didn't had a safe to keep it secured, I aslo had my hands on several unallowed things I hopefully never personnaly kept at my house. IE typical WW1&2 "material" and some Balkan or ex-ussr "souvenirs". The only weapon of interrest I currently keep at home is my fellow F1 dagger, the standard issued bayonet used with Famas rifle. Not very good as a knife, but it can do the job if needed. I hope not.
    I know for a fact they are moving towards 6.8 rounds, it combines the best qualities of the 5.56 and the 7.62 with non of the downsides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    . At most, I might consider a shotgun since typically the sound of racking it alone can cause fear and potentially scare the person off.
    For the most part, the sound of racking a shotgun isn't much different than racking the action of any rifle or pistol through the many sound barriers of a home.

On the other side of the "scare them off" coin (that's a myth by the way) in the off chance you're facing an armed intruder, he/they now know you're awake and armed, they are now on alert with their weapon ready instead of looking through your valuables.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I know for a fact they are moving towards 6.8 rounds, it combines the best qualities of the 5.56 and the 7.62 with non of the downsides.
    I would like to see a move to 6.8 by our military as well, it's just all around better.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    6.8? Hmmm, we'll have to do something about that. I'm gonna lol when we bully you into using .300 blackout or something instead.
    .300 BO was designed mainly for use with a suppressor, I don't think it will see any widespread use.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2013-04-23 at 07:17 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    For the most part, the sound of racking a shotgun isn't much different than racking the action of any rifle or pistol through the many sound barriers of a home.

On the other side of the "scare them off" coin (that's a myth by the way) in the off chance you're facing an armed intruder, he/they now know you're awake and armed, they are now on alert with their weapon ready instead of looking through your valuables.
    I think he meant racking the shotgun while you surprise the intruder, the sound alone would make most people shit their knickers. If I heard that being racked behind my back I know for a fact I would put my hands up.

Best gun for home defense in case anyone was wondering what a good investment would look like

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Raidenx;20917182]Best gun for home defense in case anyone was wondering what a good investment would look like

No grenade launcher or flamethrower, I rate it 6/10 for home defence.

Deleted
    Isn't M855A1 renowned for having the same terminal ballistic effects as a 7.62 at more than 600 yards?

Anyway, if the GI's or the tommies get a new round to shoot, good for them I guess. A lot of their fellow european colleagues would like to have this opportunity.

Deleted
    Non because I live in the UK.

However if I was in NA I would have a fair few, I'm mixed about gun control but I do think that the main problem is not so much the guns but who has access to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    Non because I live in the UK.

However if I was in NA I would have a fair few, I'm mixed about gun control but I do think that the main problem is not so much the guns but who has access to them.

You know you want to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU

Me and my wife own several.

22LR Semi Auto Rifle
    9mm Handgun that stays to my side at all times
    9mm Carbine Rifle
    7.62x39 Semi Auto Rifles (x2)
    5.45x39 Semi Auto Rifle
    7.62x54r WWII Bolt Action Rifle
    12 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun

My long guns usually stay locked up, in case they suddenly decide to grow legs, load themselves, chamber themselves and go off for no reason. I mostly use them for target shooting, don't really hunt much, although I do realise that *legal* hunting is necessary to the balance of many aspects of nature, especially when overpopulation comes into play and effects other species. As well as people needing food if necessary.

I keep my shotgun loaded but not chambered for home defense, hopefully the sound of chambering it will scare a criminal off. My pistol stays loaded and is carried on my side every day. I don't look forward to, or want to take a life, but my doors and windows are locked for a reason. If you desire to enter my home without permission bad enough that you force your way through those, you are taking a risk on your own safety. I may have a slight regret at defending myself afterward, but at the time, it would be better than to be victimized in the same way. My wife has access to her 9mm carbine when she needs it, as the 12 gauge is too much for her to handle in a situation that would require her to defend herself, since it has a very hard recoil.

If someone threatens or puts me, my family, friends, or loved ones in danger, or I find myself in a situation of a "mass shooting", I would rather help my odds by having my sidearm than lessen them by having none. I train with my weapons often, in a variety of situations and feel confident in any case where I may be forced to use them.

Not everyone who owns a firearm is a "crazy murdering psychopath" as a lot of anti firearm people love to say. Someone mentioned a bat is good enough for home defense, but if the person breaking into your home has a firearm, as most break ins and robberies have here in the US, I'd much rather have an equalizer in that situation.