Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    As I've said before it's regarding resources. I hightly doubt that they'd be used to actually theorize balance, what they actually would do is code the balance in...
    Except you don't know how their teams are organized, nor is how you think they should be organized necessarily best, either from a utilization standpoint or with respect to (what's best for) the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Except you don't know how their teams are organized, nor is how you think they should be organized necessarily best, either from a utilization standpoint or with respect to (what's best for) the game.
    Says who? For all you know I'm a leadership God who can assign people in teams better than anyone at a-net... You know as little about me as I know little about "how their teams are organized".

Add to this that we actually do know how their teams are organised since they themselves have released this info to us (recently) in for instance the blog post. (with me today are the ppl responsible for creating new coding regarding jumping over "waves", yada yada yada). Do you really think a programmer/coder like that wouldn't be able to find "something" to do when coding balance into the game?

Do you really need to understand the "organigram" of the company to know that is possible?

Says who? For all you know I'm a leadership God who can assign people in teams better than anyone at a-net... You know as little about me as I know little about "how their teams are organized".

Add to this that we actually do know how their teams are organised since they themselves have released this info to us (recently) in for instance the blog post. (with me today are the ppl responsible for creating new coding regarding jumping over "waves", yada yada yada). Do you really think a programmer/coder like that wouldn't be able to find "something" to do when coding balance into the game?

Do you really need to understand the "organigram" of the company to know that is possible?
    Right, and I didn't say you absolutely would be of no help, I said it wouldn't necessarily help. Reading is tough I guess.

And sure, they've given some details about it, but the snippets they've shown don't tell you the skills available at the company, nor the skills needed for every time (only some of the skills of those who were responsible for some piece).

Again, they likely have items (features or content) that are binned as either key or secondary, allocated to teams as they fit, prioritized as they see fit, and developed as such. Whether their priority matches yours, or other subsets of the community, is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

a new dungeon. meh. first in 6 months and isn't even a Fractal. "yay"

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

10+ Year Old Account
    As I've said before it's regarding resources. I hightly doubt that they'd be used to actually theorize balance, what they actually would do is code the balance in...
    what resources? the things you say make it hard to have a discussion with you because you present your point of view as if it is a forgone conclusion and yet the devs themselves have given you the actual facts that contradict your assertions. smh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    But some discussion is that it will replace hotjoin, is that correct? Because that would be strange if something.
    i think they just mean that some of the hot-join servers will become the CA servers, but there should still be some hot-join available. remember that there were over 200+ servers and they can always add more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I dont know about their kind of spectator mode, it's not clear to me. You won't be able to spectate ranked games live, cause they are afraid of cheating or? I dont know, what else would be worth spectating? O_o someone please explain this a bit more if you know more than me O_o
    not ranked games, but hot-join and CA ones with Spectator enabled you will be able to see. i think they just need to add a 5-10 minute delay like they did in GW1 to limit cheating.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Deleted
    Why do some people seem to believe that ArenaNet only have 10 people working over there? There are different teams, doing different things, the guys working on Adventure Box is not consuming anything from SPvP or the PvE guys.

ArenaNet got over 300 employs there.

Honestly.

I share a similar opinion to Meledelion but with a few differences.
    I think the point is Management of Resources.
    Granted we don't know how blissful or chaotic they are in there but it's all about the strategy. And even more A-net HAS shown us that they are very capable of learning (even slowly) with their own mistakes.
    IF you think that the current state of the sPvP is good you should probably stop reading here. This has NOTHING to do with the upcoming features too much. (see what I did there? XD).

Anyways.
    Having 3 people work on balance, and 3 on something else. (For the sake of example both are working on PvP).
    There is NO WAY guarantee that things would progress better IF we
    1 - Move them around.
    2 - Put more people on it.
    And that's just a given, and I'm pointing it out so you don't use it as an argument anymore.

BUT. Reason dictates:

If something is not sitting much right (since launch pretty much) it's pretty logical to change a bit.
    Change what?
    If you read above, you see there is no guarantee right? Sure but does it hurt to try? No I don't want the SAB guy on the PvP team but to come up with that argument is just a "place holder (for the lack of a better word) BECAUSE there is ABSOLUTE POSSIBILITY of Finding BETTER people to take over it. Or Lead. Or Whatever The strat may be.
    Don't want to replace or add more people? Sure I'm absolutely fine with that.

So how about a change of philosophy? A lil more agressive changes (When you read aggressive I don't mean a complete overhaul of system mind you, I mean maybe a bit more frequent. You Either go slow and steady or Fast on One blow ( sure there are more tatics to follow but slow and never is awful)? Cause Making the Fall Trait add up to Another Trait so it's viable to take ISN'T going to help anywhere. (There was a post where a dev comments on that change). And when I say lil, I would like to say alot more because right now it's pratically turtle in NEEDED changes.

Here is a saying in brazil. I'm not sure if it's everywhere. "You don't change a winning team". Meaning if the team is doing good why change it? Sab is awesome, keep it up.
    Class Balance, Build Availability, Weapon/Utility Balance (Skills). Are KNOWN PROBLEMS right now. The devs say so over and over again. (I'm focusing on PvP here because it matters more (for me at least) simply because no matter how bad in PvE everything works XD if you know how to play.)

Each patch brought us very weird changes for all of those...Things that needed change weren't changed.

I had more points but I'm an awful poster, I started this post like 1hour ago. XD I write in snack bites and end up forgetting alot XD.

All In All

I hope the patch shuts me up with more than the Thread Title. Im excited for the features that will come ( Ill be training my PvE guild XD in a controled enviroment. Should be fun)

Now I have to go cook some chicken Hearts !

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Right, and I didn't say you absolutely would be of no help, I said it wouldn't necessarily help. Reading is tough I guess.

And sure, they've given some details about it, but the snippets they've shown don't tell you the skills available at the company, nor the skills needed for every time (only some of the skills of those who were responsible for some piece).

Again, they likely have items (features or content) that are binned as either key or secondary, allocated to teams as they fit, prioritized as they see fit, and developed as such. Whether their priority matches yours, or other subsets of the community, is irrelevant.
    I understand Rhandric and agree that my priority might not be/probably isn't the same as a-net.
    The "issue" I have is that I think their priorities are set up wrong and should be gone towards already promised things, I accept not everyone agrees but this is my view of the world. If I (as a bartender) tell you i'll grab your order after this one and then go in the back to iron table cloths. I assume (and completely understand) that you'd be pissed off about this.

The main problem is that people seem to think it's absolutely impossible for a "jumping puzzle coder" to code any other part of the game... (This is clearly not true and that's why I find the "different teams!" point complete and utter BS)

@odeezee
    Resources as in people. Programmers/testers/designers/... There is no reason to believe "a coder" can only code for pvp, bosses, wvw, networks and so on. I'm assuming (and hoping) that the programmers at a-net are well-rounded individuals who are formiliar with every bit and have an expertise here or there. The thing is that being an "expert" wvw coder doesn't mean that you all of a sudden can't help code for PvP...

Also, I'm mainly looking at the post where it was said that "on average 4-5ppl worked on the SAB, but at "crunch time" we had 8people working on it" where do you think those 3guys came from? OTHER PROJECTS that had lower priority! is it so far fetched that PvP likely is one of those teams that had to give someone up (temporarily)?

and now Zilong was faster...

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    a new dungeon. meh. first in 6 months and isn't even a Fractal. "yay"
    Actually they did have the Halloween and wintersday dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, you are approaching this like it's a Pizza Hut and everyone working at said Pizza Hut can probably make a pizza.

This "jumping puzzle coder" you are talking about, Josh Foreman, creates environments. He uses development tools that help him create environments. In fact, he mentioned recently one specific tool he has that lets him determine how difficult a jump is. He could maybe/possibly create a PvP map, but most likely not since he has no clue about PvP and wouldn't know what makes sense in a PvP map.

I was chatting up a dev in game recently that was telling me all he does is create development tools. These are extremely task specific tools that the devs need to learn how to use for their particular area of specialty.

Just because I know how to use Excel doesn't mean I know how to run any of the millions of software programs out there.
    Valar morghulis

Only one question: Will I be able to duel people?

Me and my friends have been waiting for this feature for so long.

No ofcourse not, but you're mistaken. Josh isn't the coder, he's the designer. A woman did most of the coding if I recall correctly (started with a K or an A I think) he says something about her regarding jumps etc...

The things is not everyone knows how to make a pizza but having someone to slice it/box it/drive it to someone easies the work load of the guy who is making pizza, cuts it, packs, it and then delivers it. To me those people would fill the role of "henchmen" to say it disrespectfully. (foot-folk is a common term).

Or to go with excell, even if you don't know it, If I give you to job to enter these records into a spreadsheet, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post

When it goes live on the 30th, only the top 50 QP peeps will be able to create a custom arena. Anyone can join in a CA by way of memberlist or password set by the creator.

It's kind of a live beta test. Mostly for the Spectator Mode aspect to make sure it can't be exploited I imagine.

You can duel now if you can find an empty room in the hot join servers.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post

Not in the way World of Warcraft duel works, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    @odeezee
    Resources as in people. Programmers/testers/designers/... There is no reason to believe "a coder" can only code for pvp, bosses, wvw, networks and so on. I'm assuming (and hoping) that the programmers at a-net are well-rounded individuals who are formiliar with every bit and have an expertise here or there. The thing is that being an "expert" wvw coder doesn't mean that you all of a sudden can't help code for PvP...

Also, I'm mainly looking at the post where it was said that "on average 4-5ppl worked on the SAB, but at "crunch time" we had 8people working on it" where do you think those 3guys came from? OTHER PROJECTS that had lower priority! is it so far fetched that PvP likely is one of those teams that had to give someone up (temporarily)?

and now Zilong was faster...
    haha, ok wait, let me get this straight. out of 300+ employees a total of 8 for the last 1.5 months to make SAB means that "resources" were taken away from tPvP and thus increasing the release time of changes/fixes/etc for tPvP? i am impressed, truly i am at your leap in logic. SAB is a side project and one which other devs participated in as it was a cool idea and some of them did it during their FREE time. we do not know how many coders are required for balance, we do not know what tools they have that allow the devs to bypass even needing a coder for balance changes, we do not know if the coder for SAB is even assigned to the team that codes for tPvP all we know is that the dev that made SAB said they did not take resources from other departments to complete it, so why are you still questioning it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    BUT. Reason dictates:

If something is not sitting much right (since launch pretty much) it's pretty logical to change a bit.
    Change what?
    If you read above, you see there is no guarantee right? Sure but does it hurt to try? No I don't want the SAB guy on the PvP team but to come up with that argument is just a "place holder (for the lack of a better word) BECAUSE there is ABSOLUTE POSSIBILITY of Finding BETTER people to take over it. Or Lead. Or Whatever The strat may be.
    Don't want to replace or add more people? Sure I'm absolutely fine with that.

So how about a change of philosophy? A lil more agressive changes (When you read aggressive I don't mean a complete overhaul of system mind you, I mean maybe a bit more frequent. You Either go slow and steady or Fast on One blow ( sure there are more tatics to follow but slow and never is awful)? Cause Making the Fall Trait add up to Another Trait so it's viable to take ISN'T going to help anywhere. (There was a post where a dev comments on that change). And when I say lil, I would like to say alot more because right now it's pratically turtle in NEEDED changes.

Here is a saying in brazil. I'm not sure if it's everywhere. "You don't change a winning team". Meaning if the team is doing good why change it? Sab is awesome, keep it up.
    Class Balance, Build Availability, Weapon/Utility Balance (Skills). Are KNOWN PROBLEMS right now. The devs say so over and over again. (I'm focusing on PvP here because it matters more (for me at least) simply because no matter how bad in PvE everything works XD if you know how to play.)

Each patch brought us very weird changes for all of those...Things that needed change weren't changed.

I had more points but I'm an awful poster, I started this post like 1hour ago. XD I write in snack bites and end up forgetting alot XD.
    sorry but you wrote a lot of irrelevant sentences here infused with a lot of conjecture. this does not support the argument that devs should focus more on tPvP than they already have been because aside from them telling us they are, how are we to know otherwise? all it says is that you are just unhappy with the speed at which changes are being made to your liking.

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    sorry but you wrote a lot of irrelevant sentences here infused with a lot of conjecture. this does not support the argument that devs should focus more on tPvP than they already have been because aside from them telling us they are, how are we to know otherwise? all it says is that you are just unhappy with the speed at which changes are being made to your liking.
    Alright. So I'm curious.

1 - You are telling me that they shouldn't focus more on tPvP (Which I have never even mentioned) or pvp in general?
    2 - You are reading that I'm asking for MORE? I was almost sure I was actually asking for less.
    3 - That the community is happy with the current state of the game in pvp?
    4 - What build do you use on your, what I assume is a norn Necro?
    5 - Are you happy with the pvp scene right now?

I'd love one of the custom quest/dungeon systems a few other MMOs had, at some point. I swear I'd make a dungeon so trap filled that it was basically a jumping puzzle with traps instead of long, long falls. Maybe a few long, long falls too. Also constant molestation by swarms of small, flying enemies.

Until such a time as that highly unlikely update puts such a system in my hands, I'm actually quite fond of what we're seeing here regardless. I can't wait? Well, I can wait, waiting isn't really all that hard, but I am eager to jump into the new stuff, and see what people do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Alright. So I'm curious.

1 - You are telling me that they shouldn't focus more on tPvP (Which I have never even mentioned) or pvp in general?
    2 - You are reading that I'm asking for MORE? I was almost sure I was actually asking for less.
    3 - That the community is happy with the current state of the game in pvp?
    4 - What build do you use on your, what I assume is a norn Necro?
    5 - Are you happy with the pvp scene right now?
    what do any of your questions have to do with what they are doing as far as tPvP progress from a dev standpoint? you are giving the devs advice and very simplistic advice at that, yet you do not even know how much progress the devs have made. all you are basically saying is that you wish things were better and that we could see more progress as actual players in the game. that is all. until we know what strategy they employ as devs, what progress they are actually making developing tools to make their tPvP vision a reality, etc, all this talk is rather fantasy.

Worst
    Patch
    Ever

:-(

And your reasoning for that is?