Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Like people said, when they're rushing for World First, they put everything and raid for those hours.

After the race is over and they've the content in farm, it takes them a couple of hours to clear everything (let's say 10 hours).

For the rest of the world, we normally raid 3 hours a day, for 5 days a week, which take us 15 hours each week.

Take your conclusions

PS: I am not counting the endless alt runs they do to equip their 3-4 alts to BiS asap.

Realm First Monk & Hellscream's Downfall

Thats insane but some dedication right there. From what I've been told by European friends the average working hours per week is ~30hrs/week and a lot of vacation hours, so I can see how they can dedicate so much time. I'd be interested to see how they progress on bosses. To me watching their wipes on Lei would be cool to see, just so see how they actually do this.

Quote Originally Posted by zuggie View Post
    At the end of the tier, everything is cleared within hours.
    Yeah, in the one video paragon did they cleared heroic ICC (without the LK) in 1.5h. My guild back then needed 2 days a 3h to get this far...
    I can see what you see not - vision milky then eyes rot. When you turn, they will be gone - whispering their hidden song...

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    How much do you spend on raids and in the game for that matter?
    In the game, probably 8-10 hours a week on good weeks. Most weeks a bit less.

Only a very mild interest in raiding to be honest although if my guild wants me there and I think I can help them then I'm there.

For the record, this is pretty much how I've played the game for years now. No burn-out in sight although, in fairness, in addition to the relaxed schedule I like to go and play other MMO's now and then for a month or two. SW:TOR last year and Rift the year before that.

The main point is I have a lot of other stuff in my life besides video gaming.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-04-23 at 04:24 PM.
    A bit of civility and respect for others opinions goes a long way toward getting any respect in return. Overly hostile, profane and insulting posts are a sign that people don't really have anything to say. Profanity is best served out in very small doses.

"Forum drama exists because people enjoy creating it." - ML/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Thing is that in the long run they might spend a whole lot less time than most people. They WILL get to the point where they can finish the instance in 1 raiding night of 5-6 hours rather soon. At that point they can raid 0-5hours/ week while most people will still be progressing and putting ~9 even more hours.

Guilds on my realm that are progressing/will still be progressing tend to raid 4x3.5hours/week... and they will do this to the end without finishing the tier.

Method had around 20 days of progression raiding. By the time they got Ra-Den down, they were able to clear the instance INCLUDING Ra-Den in 2 days. It's safe to say it's 1 day now.

Let's say 21x16 = 336 hours; + 19x6 = 114 = 450 hours put into this tier for Method.
    For our average Joe world 2500 guild, it's 4x3.5x22= 308 hours put into this tier.

The only difference is that average Joe will be pretty much locked in 4 days of the week for the next 4 and a half months, 3 and a half hours for 4 times a week.
    Method did 3 weeks of progression and now they can pretty much have 1 raid night for the next 4 and a half months.

It's more effort at the start and more time sank overall but they are DONE. They won't have progress to do, they will steamroll the place asap. They have the rest of the time to do wtf they want.
    world first guilds have at least 3-4 alt raids nowadays so the whole raid 1 day a week for months thing hasn't applied for a while

I used to spend 5 hours a night at least 4 days a week raiding. Sundays were optional for old content, but Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs were mandatory.

Back when I was a serious raider, TBC and Wrath, we raided Tuesday through Friday, 6-10, sometimes till midnight if we were progressing and no one had to leave.

One can obviously guess that between those 14-16 hours are like 5 half hour breaks.

That sound more reasonable because its not a non stop pull and go time. But still, sitting around waiting for strats and checking numbers and tweaking things for min maxing counts as "playing the game".
    That's not how it works either though. A break is a break, you can do whatever you want. Whenever we have a 10-15 min break during our progress raids, I usually go get some food and something to drink - clear my head etc.

Rogerbrown said in the Manaflask interview, that they typically did 2 big breaks during the day (for lunch & dinner) and then some 5 min breaks here and there. Sounds pretty reasonable for a WF chasing guild to me!

I just say this because I honestly think... the ammount of time "high end raiders" spend on the game... sounds unhealthy.
    During my semester breaks, I often play ~20 hours per day.
    But then again, I don't throw myself at the same encounter again and again...I can imagine that something like that can burn someone out really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Remember a lot of the guilds seriously competing for world first are sponsored, essencially its their job to put those crazy hours in for those weeks during the world first attempts
    Yeah, no. Taken from Paragon's blog:
    And sorry to let you down, but despite all the credible sources at mmo-champion forums it turns out that being in one of worlds top guilds doesn't mean getting paid to play. Sure sponsors offer some perks, but actually getting paid to play? Wrong Game.
    And to the hours they put in.
    Excluding Wednesdays it's rare to see like 5+ people at the same time online.Sadly we are so not going to be a level 25 guild when 4.3 comes out. We only hit the daily guild xp cap like one day a week - two if some play arenas some other day. So much about "top guilds playing a lot".
    I think I've read that when Paragon was still raiding in 25 mans in WOTLK and Cataclysm they raided for 4-6 six hours a week and that's what most people played during the week. Of course they have to pull crazy hours when competing for world first but rest of the time they do other stuff. I guess it's same for other top guilds.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    Right. If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Such a bad way to spend their lives.
    I raided 4 x 4 hour and i think i was way too much.
    Well if they raid like this for couple weeks once every 4 months, I don't think it's that bad tbh.

I don't see how anyone could fault world-first level raiders for the time they invest in the game. I equate it to any other pro-athlete playing any type of physical sport. I bet most Olympic competitors spend a similar amount of time training / preparing just before the games.

And that type of raiding schedule really is temporary. It will eventually calm down to a 2 night (or even 1 night) per week thing.

In the end, if they want to invest that amount of their time into racing for world first, that is their decision; we should not judge them based purely on that fact.
    Last edited by Conjor; 2013-04-23 at 04:40 PM.

do people in these guilds not work? how do they afford to live? they cant make that much money from sponsors surely?
    Signature pending

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    do people in these guilds not work? how do they afford to live? they cant make that much money from sponsors surely?
    They take ~2 weeks off for progression and from then on they do alt runs, etc in their free time.
    Jsz
    <The Requiem> US-Horde Mythic
    > twitch.tv stream <

I don't get it. Either not having a job, or having a job that allows you to take time off whenever you want is a requirement for this guild, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Taking 2 weeks off from work isn't that big of deal. What else are you gonna use our vacation / sick days for?

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I don't get it. Either not having a job, or having a job that allows you to take time off whenever you want is a requirement for this guild, apparently.
    Many of them are students, I guess. There's nothing wrong with being a student.

Well, this right here is one of the major things that separated the world class raids from the rest of us. Good god, even if we assume "only" 5days/week, that's still 70-80 hours/week. Compare to my 5 hours/week. Yeesh! No wonder they get so much more done.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    Taking 2 weeks off from work isn't that big of deal. What else are you gonna use our vacation / sick days for?

i dont know, actually go on holiday with friends/family. i would hate to waste my holiday each year on raiding :\ but i suppose thats why im not in a top guild.
    Signature pending