Poll: Do you get along with your parents/family?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Do you get along with your parents/relatives?

Some people have the fortune being a part of a friendly family, others however, are not so fortunate. Either way, it just once more facet of life that is often beyond our control. Which category do you fall in?

Interesting to see the poll results. (if I can get it to work, that is)

10+ Year Old Account
    All of them except for my dad's brother, who has turned to mooching around his house.

They are all great people.

15+ Year Old Account
    with allmost all of them but it was a hard road to get there, my parents kind of ignored me between 6 and 18 years of age, but the second i moved out they tried to stay in touch, now i allmost see them once a month
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Me, my mom, and a few uncles are polar opposites, they're conservative Christians, and I'm all for change, and an agnostic. Despite our political and religious differences, we still get along if we abstain from those subjects.
    Last edited by muto; 2013-04-24 at 10:00 PM.

My father and both my brothers I think we get along somewhat. I am not terribly close to my brothers but we do see each other as family and respect each other.

My mother on the other hand is difficult to say the least. Where before I might have gone so far as hate but now having a life of my own things have gotten better mainly from my side of things. She will still say to my face that I'm a loser, failure, lazy, etc but now that I only see her a few times a year I can usually tolerate it.

The relatives on my mother's side I have ZERO contact with. Mainly because of my mother not wanting anything to do with them. My father's side I see them once a year. I know almost nothing about them except my relation and their name. There is small talk but frankly I have lived this long without them I would just assume continue the status quo. Forgot to mention one of the big barriers between my father and the rest of his relatives is that they are all religious going folk specifically Mormon. My father and my family are not religious.

We only get along because we're all quite tolerant of eachother. Me and my parents are so different that its amazing we've not killed eachother yet. I cant wait for the day when i can get a job and enough money to move far, far away from everybody.

I dont even want to say goodbye or tell my family where im going. Maybe leave a note saying im cool and will we out traveling or whatever. But just leave everybody and everything and move away would be awesome
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Deleted
    I get along with my cousins and my brother. Not so much with my parents. I can be without them. My mother was cuddling with others, hugging them, kissing them - but never me. I was just a kid at the time, completely unable to handle it. Felt rather abandoned because she did it to others but not me. None of my parents ever did anything for me. Not even comforting me if I was crying, just ignoring me. Wanted to be loved by them but was met with hate, disappointment and flat out malice at times. My father was worse.

My brother is my best friend 100%
    I love my parents but they raised me to be too independent so I'm pretty comfortable without them.

I'd say get along well. Only person in my family that could be a step up from that would maybe be my brother.

Deleted
    I've closed all lines of communication towards my parents, but not my family, so yes and no.

Deleted
    It's hard to say, I generally get along with my parents but I argue and fight a lot with mom too. It's just impossible to talk with her about anything serious. When we disagree, and we do it often (as she is racist and has very biased views and can't respect other opinions than hers and she justifies everything she does wrong, lies and even when she made a promise and breaks it), she usually just claims she's right because I also did something bad when I was 15 and then just goes "nananana im not listening nanana" or starts yelling. So yea, not an easy person to get along with.

I get along with dad great though, we still have long discussions about everything.. but he sometimes throws weird tantrums too when hes ego is hurt. It's just best to avoid him till it blows over then.

As for other relatives "we" dont talk to our cousins because my parents had a fight with them 10 years ago and everyone else is dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a very good relationship with most of my relatives, even though it can be a bit like My Big Fat Greek Wedding at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I get along somewhat with most of my relatives, but not like I talk with a lot of them at all. Only one I really get along with is one of my younger cousins cuz he's a gamer too. Finally, I hate my mother, period.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My father is my best friend.. so yeah we get along. Nearly every relative (I know of) I get along with. I have one cousin who is polar opposite of me politically, and such so no we don't get along, and I wouldn't shed a single tear if my brother is murdered while he's in prison, but other than that, yeah I get along really well with my family.

Deleted
    Excellent, especially with my mother. She is the greatest human being I met, plus I'm 90% like her when it comes to temper and open-mindedness. She took care of me and sacrificed her entire life for me and my future since my birth. She works the entire day both at her job and at home, she always gave when I never asked, she let me decide what I want to believe and what choices should I do in life, and for that I'll try my best to not let her down.

As for dad, I'm not like him at all. But he is a hard working man since he was my age, always worked over schedule and on Sundays intentionally, and fought in the anti-communist revolution so I can be raised in a better society, that has still failed him and took a gigantic dump on his sacrifice.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-04-25 at 12:10 AM.

I get along well with them, even though I don't feel close to them.

We are polar opposites, but I don't think I hate them.

My mum and dad I do get along with and they treat me well now. But their treatment of me in the past cannot be forgotten and I mostly keep them at some distance. They know I dislike them but I still love them for ensuring I have a bed to sleep, food to eat and (minimal) support.

My mum's side of the family I love so much, my aunt is like a second mother and my cousin loves to coddle me when I need support.

My dad's side of the family I mostly remain neutral with, only a few I love and I do not see them very often as opposed to my mum's because most of them live in New Zealand.

Deleted
    If you have a small family and I get along well with half and don't get along with the other half, what do I vote?

I get along great with my mother even if we disagree sometimes on important things. My father left me when I was 13, so I'd say that I don't get along with him by that aspect. I don't have many other relatives, have an aunt with which I get along well and godfathers with which I get along so and so. That's it.