Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I understand people's hatred for no backwards capability or no used games (i agree) but why the fervor over always on internet? I mean the only time my internet is off if when the power is out...
    2 things.

1. What is the compelling reason for having it? If someone adds a feature with a potential downside (i.e. can't play potentially), there needs to be a compelling reason for it. And for always on DRM, there is no compelling reason.

2. It's not just your internet connection, it's Microsofts internet connection and their servers. They do XBL maintenance. XBL goes down sometimes. Their internet connection craps out every once in a while. This makes you not only at the mercy of your internet, but Microsofts internet and their servers. You won't be able to wait out the XBL maintenance or unexpected downtime by playing single player games with it.

Basically, the downsides for consumers dramatically outweigh any possible benefits (i.e. there aren't really any benefits). And no, phones aren't always on (as Adam Orth seemed to think), they still have a ton of functionality when they don't have service.

I understand people's hatred for no backwards capability or no used games (i agree) but why the fervor over always on internet? I mean the only time my internet is off if when the power is out...
    As a person who still uses cable net I wouldn't ever consider an always-on console. No way in hell am I gonna have a cable going through my entire apartment just to boot up a console. Admittedly I'm one of the only damn people who still uses cable net, but even besides that there are a bunch of other reasons. Consoles have always been a nice sanctuary if the internet goes down, well fuck that, here comes Microsoft!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I'm gonna be laughing so hard when the new xbox blows the PS4 out of the water. Seriously....the playstation became a joke once the 360 was released.
    Wut...the XB360 was released before the PS3 anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Always on" adds, at the least, two additional potential points of failure (on their end or yours) that could prevent you from using the product.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally I wish they'd just get rid of internet access for consoles completely. It would finally force game developers to release games fully developed and tested.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i could be infracted i guess for slamming a company but ill say that the reason i dont like always online is because the internet in my area is complete garbage. comcasts' service where i live is terrible and unfortunately they own a monopoly within a 100 mile radius and no one else provides service here.

i would say that on a weekly basis the internet goes out for several hours. every other month ill get a service outage for a couple days. two months ago the internet went out on friday at roughly 6pm and wasnt restored until like 8 or 9 pm sunday night.

this already interrupts any gaming session i was in because i do most of my gaming on my pc but when it does its always nice for me to go boot up any of my consoles and play a game.

call it what you will. i just dont see any major compelling reason to add it. blizzard said the reason d3 was made with always online was because it would help them keep down on bots, hackers and shit. well all it caused me was a few deaths due to their servers instability and i seen there were people botting a few weeks after it was released.

edit : id also like to note that im an xbox fan. ive always preferred the xbox to the playstation but i can safely say that if they really require that every game be played on an always online xbox i wont even remotely consider buying one
    Last edited by dokilar; 2013-04-25 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Users View Post
    Who the fuck cares if they put in Kinect? There's people out there that play it, but that doesn't mean you have to. They had voice control in ME3 and Kinect controls for a couple other games and I've never used it. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have use it.

No used games is a dealbreaker though. When it comes down to it the always online thing won't be that big a deal. Their main market is the U.S. and who the hell doesn't have their Xbox online here?
    Because it's unnecessary. Just an assumption, if everyone has it there is more reason to make every game involve it in some way, and we all know how amazing Steel Battalion turned out.

Always on: Plenty of people don't, and they shouldn't need to. When I was deployed to Afghanistan, I bought a new 360 so I could wind down after long days doing patrols and stuff. I was lucky enough to have "internet", but it wasn't near enough to run updates efficiently or do downloads. It also went down a ton. My internet here at home has not gone out since I got it 2 years ago, and I still wouldn't support an always online console. If XBL goes down for whatever reason, well, can't play your shiny paperweight. You can't take your console on vacation where you won't have reliable internet (hotel connections, mountain cabin, etc). There is no plus as a consumer to have a console that is always connected. Having the OPTION to go online is perfectly fine, but to require it is asinine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Because it's unnecessary. Just an assumption, if everyone has it there is more reason to make every game involve it in some way, and we all know how amazing Steel Battalion turned out.

Always on: Plenty of people don't, and they shouldn't need to. When I was deployed to Afghanistan, I bought a new 360 so I could wind down after long days doing patrols and stuff. I was lucky enough to have "internet", but it wasn't near enough to run updates efficiently or do downloads. It also went down a ton. My internet here at home has not gone out since I got it 2 years ago, and I still wouldn't support an always online console. If XBL goes down for whatever reason, well, can't play your shiny paperweight. You can't take your console on vacation where you won't have reliable internet (hotel connections, mountain cabin, etc). There is no plus as a consumer to have a console that is always connected. Having the OPTION to go online is perfectly fine, but to require it is asinine.
    Really hope it does come with improved kinect, its awesome. Better tracking and more people? Now needs more intergration.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    Really hope it does come with improved kinect, its awesome. Better tracking and more people? Now needs more intergration.
    yeah thats what we want more kinect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Users View Post
    Who the fuck cares if they put in Kinect? There's people out there that play it, but that doesn't mean you have to. They had voice control in ME3 and Kinect controls for a couple other games and I've never used it. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have use it.

No used games is a dealbreaker though. When it comes down to it the always online thing won't be that big a deal. Their main market is the U.S. and who the hell doesn't have their Xbox online here?
    If kinect is built in then I will be one unhappy mofo because that's 100 more $ that I don't wanna pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Internet is unpredictable, why should the player be punished by not being able to play a single player game with no Internet. That is what people are anxious about.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    The Internet is unpredictable, why should the player be punished by not being able to play a single player game with no Internet. That is what people are anxious about.
    That is one big reason for me. I live in a boonies and can only get 4g fixed internet. It is very touch and go sometimes too. I don't want to have to depend on how well my net is working just to play a damn console game.

Then i-net caps come to mind as well, although a smaller concern, but still a concern.

Then the idea of going away. I know many people who enjoy bringing their consoles to the cottage. No luck there for them, its just a paperweight at that point.

I hope to god MS isn't actually stupid enough to go through with always online, but if they are they can plan on losing a very large chunk of customers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    That is one big reason for me. I live in a boonies and can only get 4g fixed internet. It is very touch and go sometimes too. I don't want to have to depend on how well my net is working just to play a damn console game.

Then i-net caps come to mind as well, although a smaller concern, but still a concern.

Then the idea of going away. I know many people who enjoy bringing their consoles to the cottage. No luck there for them, its just a paperweight at that point.

I hope to god MS isn't actually stupid enough to go through with always online, but if they are they can plan on losing a very large chunk of customers.
    mmo team behind wildstar carbine studios had internet problems the other day.. if they can be effected for 24 hours anyone can.

Where has it been confirmed that it's always-online? Would be better for everyone to wait for the official announcement instead of stressing about this now.
    What if this is all just some misunderstanding and it's just always-on. I don't see a problem with always-on, plenty of products are that already anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Where has it been confirmed that it's always-online? Would be better for everyone to wait for the official announcement instead of stressing about this now.
    What if this is all just some misunderstanding and it's just always-on. I don't see a problem with always-on, plenty of products are that already anyway.
    well wouldnt it have been better to deny it with the whole adam orth controversy.. this is why the rumours only got stronger recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    It basically has been confirmed with the whole Adam Orth thing, so it wouldn't be at all surprising.

I'm not going to buy the new x-box, but the biggest problem I have with it is that these companies are essentially setting up a conspiracy monopoly - if they all offer sub-par services, (always on) regardless of what consumers want - you don't have the option to take your money elsewhere. PC developers are doing it, Xbox is doing it - if Playstation follows suit (which imo is probably not in their interest to gain customers, but they might do it anyway) then you have no choice in the matter as a consumer. That pisses me off, personally.

Why are people still going on about always online? The console will just need a brief security check to confirm a game is valid for use and then it can be played offline. It's basically the same as entering a serial key or passcode. Obviously, however, a large number of the console's uses/features will require online usage.

Internet always on is a horrible idea. They compared it to "power going out".

My internet goes out more then my power. My internet goes out at least 1 time a day and I have comcast. Secondly there is no reason to have it on 24/7, why not have it on when you need it? It makes no sense.

Wouldn't it be nice if these consoles finally supported mice and keyboards?

Cross platform COD baby!

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if these consoles finally supported mice and keyboards?

Cross platform COD baby!
    Both the Xbox 360 and Ps3 could use Mice and keyboards but only for some games if I remember right.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD