Poll: Why do you think ABC, NBC, CBS avoided Gosnell Trial?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why pro lifers are using this atrocious story as a slam dunk against pro choice people. It seems to me that its an argument for legalization of abortion, since outlawing it would increase these types of events tenfold.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I do not really like news people following trials that much unless it is politically, most of them try to get justice, sounds like a witch hunt for me, vengeance.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
    Some wackjobs need more attention than others because of its sensitivity. This guy needs to be convicted and the more media coverage there is the higher chances of this guy going to prison for life or even death penalty.
    On the contrary, all whackjobs deserve much less attention imo. Also, Casey Anthony proves your theory wrong.

There are so many horror stories of quack doctors, this one just happened to run an abortion clinic. I don't think this example should be an argument against abortion in general, when abortion was illegal there were chop shops like this all over the place. Abortion is a terrible thing, irresponsible politicians have turned this into a wedge issue, activists would do far more good if they put their energies towards reducing the need for abortions instead of this hopeless crusade to outlaw it.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Oh---and I wanted to help out Deadvolcanoes too:
    Wait just a minute...HuffPo is covering this story too??? Are we sure this isn't actually a liberal propaganda story?

It really is an odd statement to make. The OP mentions "let the conservative bashing begin..." He didn't have to make it so easy.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    Because they don't have time to dwell on every sick whackjob
    And yet they have the time to focus on cupcakes, Obama's draft picks, 24/7 ad nauseum coverage of hurricanes 48 hours BEFORE landfall, ect... To pretend that the major networks simply "don't have time" to take a few minutes every 2 or 3 days to update on this case is wrong. They have chosen to ignore it - for whatever reason - despite the fact that it has all the elements that they normally would obsess over for weeks on end. It's pretty plain that they are deliberately sitting on the story the same way they deliberate sat on Clinton's sexcapades, and the way they just ignore all of Obama's many speech gaffes and administration scandals.

They are biased strongly to the left, and if a story doesn't PERSONALLY interest them then they ignore it because they think that no one else could possibly be interested in it if they aren't. The poll questions are sort of redundant, actually, because the reason they don't think the story is interesting is because it strikes against their biases and political views - so really all the poll options are just variations of each other. So I picked 'all the above' because that's closest.

The "abortion mill" in the US is a serious problem, and a story like this that kicks over the rotten log so everyone can see all the horrifying mess underneath is one of those things the radical political left (IE most journalists) are REALLY interested in minimizing. After all, if the nation makes a collective gasp of horror at this story, and demands that ALL abortion clinics undergo some serious monitoring and restrictions then it will ruin the mantra they have been repeating for decades that 100% instant on-demand abortion for anyone who wants it is a universal good. Things that don't jive with that world view are "not interesting" to them. Can't damage the cause now, can we?
    Last edited by The Riddler; 2013-04-25 at 08:12 PM.

OT but the amount of pop up efforts made by that site and advertising shows how bad things are for newspapers. This could also be why they are trying to make this a story or make the lack of story and its coverage a story. All they need is some kid screaming LOOK AT ME!!
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    And yet they have the time to focus on cupcakes, Obama's draft picks, 24/7 ad nauseum coverage of hurricanes 48 hours BEFORE landfall, ect... To pretend that the major networks simply "don't have time" to take a few minutes every 2 or 3 days to update on this case is wrong. They have chosen to ignore it - for whatever reason - despite the fact that it has all the elements that they normally would obsess over for weeks on end. It's pretty plain that they are deliberately sitting on the story the same way they deliberate sat on Clinton's sexcapades, and the way they just ignore all of Obama's many speech gaffes and administration scandals.

They are biased strongly to the left, and if a story doesn't PERSONALLY interest them then they ignore it because they think that no one else could possibly be interested in it if they aren't. The poll questions are sort of redundant, actually, because the reason they don't think the story is interesting is because it strikes against their biases and political views - so really all the poll options are just variations of each other. So I picked 'all the above' because that's closest.

The "abortion mill" in the US is a serious problem, and a story like this that kicks over the rotten log so everyone can see all the horrifying mess underneath is one of those things the radical political left (IE most journalists) are REALLY interested in minimizing. After all, if the nation makes a collective gasp of horror at this story, and demands that ALL abortion clinics undergo some serious monitoring and restrictions then it will ruin the mantra they have been repeating for decades that 100% instant on-demand abortion for anyone who wants it is a universal good. Things that don't jive with that world view are "not interesting" to them. Can't damage the cause now, can we?
    I guess you've missed the fact that we've already linked all 3 places the OP was crying about showing them covering it. And then I decided to throw in HuffPo and Daily Kos doing the same.

Don't let that get in the way of your echo chamber though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    Perhaps you should pay more attention to the thread before posting and note that, despite your claims of bias and what something as simple as going to another site instead of relying exclusively on political pundits for your news would demonstrate, yes the story has been actively reporting on.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Other -> American TV news is garbage in all forms.

Also, the "abortion" answer on the poll is completely meaningless. The case isn't about abortion, it's about murder and malpractice.

Whenever I turn into a major newscast it usually has a story about the Boston bombing. When I turn on the local news is either about the bombings or local flooding. I would say there just happens to be bigger stories going on at the moment. Not everything is a conspiracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    They aren't ignoring it.

Now, the amount of attention compared to other events may be a bit unequal, but they, by definition, aren't ignoring the trial.

I'm guessing there are 2 factors:

1. There has already been reporting on it, but without anything much new there is no reason to keep having stories on it. 24 hours cable news needs to fill up time so they will cover it, but when you only devote an hour or so to news--and considering there is other big news lately--I'm guessing it gets bumped.

2. The details of the crimes are horrific enough that since they are on public airwaves they are afraid of offending their audiences too much.

Honestly, if i was going to complain about something not getting enough media coverage today it would be about the volunteer firefighters down in Texas who died buying time for people to be evacuated before the fertilizer plant explosion, not this case.

But alas, there wasn't a terrorist involved and the firefighters were putting other people's welfare above their own rather than committing some heinous crime so there's no big political debate, no ratings and such things don't interest the American public anymore.

*edit: I'm not saying it has gotten no coverage. I'd just rather see more as opposed to profiles of each and every person in boston who so much as stubbed a toe getting away from the bombing.
    Last edited by Tinfoy Lat; 2013-04-25 at 09:17 PM.

"NBC has reported on the Gosnell case online, but has yet to give any on-air news briefs or full reports, despite the gruesome details of this case that have emerged since the grand jury issued its report in 2011. Conservative commentator Peggy Noonan actually broke through NBC's blackout on the case on the March 31, 2013 episode of Meet the Press."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew...#ixzz2RVmsvSkn

10+ Year Old Account
    The what case?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    "NBC has reported on the Gosnell case online, but has yet to give any on-air news briefs or full reports, despite the gruesome details of this case that have emerged since the grand jury issued its report in 2011. Conservative commentator Peggy Noonan actually broke through NBC's blackout on the case on the March 31, 2013 episode of Meet the Press."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew...#ixzz2RVmsvSkn
    And this matters, why exactly? Since when is court drama even real news? The closing arguments are being held on Monday. Anything up until then warrants little more than offhand updates, as until the court has finalized the case there is no point in further speculating. The truth here is that you don't want news, as that has been produced, despite your claims, by a number of news sources.

Not every court case deserves an orgy of media attention fueled by the desire to boost numbers.

People often say the media is leftist, but it's really about ratings (though study after study after study shows it's not, but that's another topic).

These companies have shareholders, and what shareholders care about is ratings. The only people who are going to care about this trial are already watching fox news. Just because a topic that is important to you isn't being covered, doesn't show a media bias. It means it's not big enough to get ratings.

Abortion is controversial, sure, but it's a fairly small crowd that is very passionate one way or the other. So it's not going to get a bunch of ratings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ure-cover-abo/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ing-kermit-go/

And... let the conservative bashing begin...

I would challenge you to just stay on topic and try and answer the question rather than resort to tic for tac.
    It would seem they believe its a 'local story' and thus not worthy of national coverage, however, that falls apart because of Jodi Arias trial... The 'local story' deal is what the networks would have you believe, but, I strongly suspect, there is another reason.

---------- Post added 2013-04-25 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Obviously because it conflicts with their political agenda. Do we really need a have another drawn out thread to establish this fact? Ahem Fox News Trayvon Martin?

Edit: The poll makes less sense now after you changed it.
    Pretty sure that ALL the networks covered Trayvon Martin... yes, even Fox.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    It would seem they believe its a 'local story' and thus not worthy of national coverage, however, that falls apart because of Jodi Arias trial... The 'local story' deal is what the networks would have you believe, but, I strongly suspect, there is another reason.
    Because you, like all conspiracy theorists, are privy to a subset of information only the most intelligent can grasp.

Parsimony is a wonderful principle; and news media aren't that intelligent. They're kinda like plants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.