Watches that automatically change time zones

^Title, anyone know any watches that would do this, and where can I get them? I've seen one, from seiko, that was like, $2000, yea that's a tad out of my price range.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.ashford.com/watches/mens/.../cat450048.cid

But I have to wonder "why?". They wont be very reliable since they need to connect to GPS to change time and your cell phone already does this off the cell network.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Agrias-Oaks View Post
    ^Title, anyone know any watches that would do this, and where can I get them? I've seen one, from seiko, that was like, $2000, yea that's a tad out of my price range.
    They're expensive because they need a built-in GPS or some means of telling location.

My cell phone and bike computer does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    http://www.ashford.com/watches/mens/.../cat450048.cid

But I have to wonder "why?". They wont be very reliable since they need to connect to GPS to change time and your cell phone already does this off the cell network.
    I just figured it would be more convenient not having to change time zones myself everytime the ship I'm attached to crosses time zones. Ty for link.

I feel like watches are pretty much out-dated at this point of you have a phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just figured it would be more convenient not having to change time zones myself everytime the ship I'm attached to crosses time zones. Ty for link.
    Fair enough, but as was stated previously, one that actually changes based on where you are will be expensive due to the miniature GPS receiver. The less expensive options simply use GMT or display multipul time zones concurrently.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I feel like watches are pretty much out-dated at this point of you have a phone.
    I don't think my phone is actually going to work where I'm going to be :<

I don't think my phone is actually going to work where I'm going to be :<
    Many phones have a GPS receiver, which triangulates from orbiting geo-sync satellites and is independent of cell tower coverage.

Just depends if the phone's manufacturer has a method of basing time off of GPS and not the conventional way via tower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love wearing my watch. Just looks so damn good. What I'd love though is a watch that could do both functions (phone and timepiece).

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Many phones have a GPS receiver, which triangulates from orbiting geo-sync satellites and is independent of cell tower coverage.

Just depends if the phone's manufacturer has a method of basing time off of GPS and not the conventional way via tower.
    but the time on the phone actually updates from the internet, I don't think it calculates the time based on gps alone on phones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id rather not deal with the onerous hassle of pulling my phone out of my pocket and hit the power button to see the time, when I could just take a quick convenient peek of my wrist

10+ Year Old Account
    Even with the Seiko you mentioned, the updating process requires some intervention anyway to keep accurate time, so it's not truly "automatic". From all the user reviews I've seen, GPS coverage can get spotty anyway depending on your position or conditions. Since you're going to be at sea, RC watches might as well be useless because you're guaranteed to be out of coverage zones.

Why not consider a dual-zone/world time/GMT watch instead? It's likely a better solution for a fraction of the price. Note the G-Shock at the top of this list, for example.

If you're after more specific suggestions or ideas, you might want to head over to watchuseek (watch nerd heaven).
    Last edited by Sayl; 2013-04-25 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Even with the Seiko you mentioned, the updating process requires some intervention anyway to keep accurate time, so it's not truly "automatic". From all the user reviews I've seen, GPS coverage can get spotty anyway depending on your position or conditions. Since you're going to be at sea, RC watches might as well be useless because you're guaranteed to be out of coverage zones.

Why not consider a dual-zone/world time/GMT watch instead? It's likely a better solution for a fraction of the price. Note the G-Shock at the top of this list, for example.

If you're after more specific suggestions or ideas, you might want to head over to watchuseek (watch nerd heaven).
    Looks like I'll have to settle for something with world time. I can't do dual-zone because I'll need more than 2, and GMT won't help me here because the navy decides to go full retard and do time based on where ever the ship is sitting at.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's a "watch?"
    Putin khuliyo