Deleted

My new PC build (Hopefully) - Please Help

Ok so lets start by saying I have absolutely no idea what I am doing when it comes to building a computer, I have never tried this my self BUT have decided that it is probably the best way to get an appreciation for my computer and looking after it and getting to know step by step how to build/update it myself!

I am fairly technically minded and although I see this as a challenge I think it is one I can complete fairly well!

My main use for the new computer will be WoW, but I would also like it for occasionally working from home (AutoCAD/ Photoshop), I would like to be able to at a later date record game play during raids.

My main aim is to be able to play at Ultra setting (or close to) with a nice 50+ FPS and have a few background program's running (Mumble/ Skype/ internet etc).

I currently play on a fairly old laptop which gets me about 15fps in LFR, 20 to 25fps in 10m raids (on lowest settings + "good" view distance)

Below is a list of parts I am thinking of getting that I have worked out myself, please do feel free to have a look and offer alternatives (within the budget - approx £600) if you like.

GPU: Evga gtx 650ti Boost - £148.46

Motherboard: Asrock z77 - £74.99

Processor

I have read in many places about the Intel Vs Amd war and tbh I am none the wiser, what I do know is that intel seems to be the more prestige component that's why I have chosen to run with it....If you feel that is wrong and I could get a mush better bang for buck processor feel free to hook me up!

Option 1 -
    The cheaper option but obviously not as good: Intel core i3 3220 - £93.35

Option 2 - The better choice but more expensive: Intel core i5 3570k - £184.74

Do I need an i5 for what I want to achieve?

Memory: Crucial 8gb ddr3 1600mhz - £59.99

Hard drive: Now with this I do actually have a hard drive sitting about that I currently use as an external drive in a usb dongle thingie, its a hybrid and apparently as close to a SDD as you can get without being an SDD.

This is the said hard drive: Seagate Momentus 2.5" (500gb)

Will this do the trick and save me a bit of cash?

Thinks I still need but not to sure on are:

Case
    Power Supply
    Disk drive
    OS (windows 7 or 8?)
    Mouse
    Keyboard

At the moment without the bits I am unsure on I am at £377.29(i3 Option) > £468.68(i5 Option), I was trying to get in a budget of about £600 so with the extra bits (excluding mouse & keyboard) I will be over that with the i5 BUT I think its probably worth it now?

Any thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated, Thank you!

Deleted
    Go with I5 3570k. You basically must have it for todays games. You could save in these moneys on a cheaper Harddrive and motherboard etc. I would not recommend that graphics card. Nvidia's cheapest cards which are DECENT are GTX 660 ti and above. If you can't afford a nvidia card at that price range of 660 ti and above you should go with AMD because it's cheaper and more performance for the money.

I'd recommend buying a HD 7950/7970 but since you're not in this pricerange I recommend this one http://www.ebuyer.com/413364-sapphir...s-11199-19-20g costs the same as 650 TI basically but so much more performance.

About the harddrive that is perfectly fine and has no problems. You won't need more space anyways unless you fill your PC with useless movies. Also you could buy another harddrive later in the future.

Your choice of ram is good. I have 16gb but it's so useless. 8gb is much better cuz more than that is NEVER being used.

So let's make this easier here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/349029-intel-c...bx80637i53570k

http://www.ebuyer.com/413364-sapphir...s-11199-19-20g

http://www.ebuyer.com/342352-crucial...d1609ds1s00ceu

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Mome.../dp/B005EEZ0H0

Your choice of motherboard I can't help with since it depends on if you want to go SLI(double cards) in the future or overclock etc.

You should not even consider going 650 ti boost instead of the one I linked. It has SO much better performance the 7870 GHZ. Also it has an aftermarket cooler which makes it much more quiet so your house won't explode of noise.

If you're often at LAN parties and on the move with your PC maybe this is a smart case? http://www.ebuyer.com/409055-cooler-...-sgc-2100-kwn1 I like the handle on it. If not you can go with the one I'm currently using and it does everything fine also cheaper. http://www.ebuyer.com/351501-corsair...-cc-9011014-ww
    Last edited by mmoc7666622322; 2013-04-27 at 10:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im sorry, but you cant afford anywhere near a 3570k with that budget. Ill try and see what I can come up with.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    thank you for the responses so far.....

It seems that there is just SOOOO many options out there, for some one fairly new to this it can become a little overwhelming!

I am hoping to decide what I want by mid to late May and then buy the parts end of May.... I think I would like room for expansion at a later date when I have spare cash again.

Again don't know to much about sli/ crossfire (I think that's what its called) except for its adding a 2nd graphics card so that could be an option further down the line!

Again thank you

Deleted
    AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ 14MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - 104.89
    MSI 990XA-GD55 AMD 990X+ - 85.44
    Liteon Ihas124 24x Dvd±rw - 13.90
    Antec 520W High Current Gamer PSU - 50.66
    Cooler Master K-series K280 - Usb3.0 Atx Case - 40.91
    Sapphire HD 7870 GHZ OC Edition 2GB GDDR5 - 174.99
    Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz HyperX Blu Memory Kit - 47.99
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - 69.99

Total = 588.77

from what I've heard Intel is simply better, but to my understanding the extra you pay isnt worth compared to what you pay for an AMD one... If money is not a problem Intel is the way. Otherwise I recomend AMD since it is what I use and it has never let me down.

Save some money and use that HDD you already have... 500Gb is enough.
    Go with the antec power supply for good clean power, Cooler Master cases are usualy pretty good and look decent, 8GB of ddr3 ram, windows 7 home premium... and a HD7870 2GB Ghz Edition... there is no gpu that can beat this one at this price range... maybe only a joker card on sale.
    The budget is a little tight for a keyboard and mouse but maybe you can shave a bit here and there and save some money for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fx-6300 will not perform as well as the 3220 in WoW, intel just works much better. By the time OP is ready to buy the parts haswell will be out by then, by the start of June. Waiting for that might a good idea. 1333 MHz ram ? :/ 7870 XT is a tiny more, no reason to get the GHz instead.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by diay View Post
    from what I've heard Intel is simply better, but to my understanding the extra you pay isnt worth compared to what you pay for an AMD one... If money is not a problem Intel is the way. Otherwise I recomend AMD since it is what I use and it has never let me down.
    Intel offers more power per core so it really depends on what you want to do with the PC. When just doing things that only use 2-4 cores (like most gamesand programs) Intel will be the better deal. On the other hand when doing a lot of things that use more cores like converting videos, music and so on AMD would be better in the lower price segment.

I'd say go for the Intel CPU and a Nvidia GPU because AutoCAD can be a beast and with a Nvidia GPU you can use the build in hardware acceleration. You could do the same with an AMD GPU but Autodesk only supports the professional AMD GPUs but all Nvidia GPUs. Photoshop offers OpenGL support which runs with both GPUs equally good.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what he would be looking at if he wanted to go for the 3570k, which is way over budget and no keyboard/mouse.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£50.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.67 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£185.39 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.95 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£36.18 @ Aria PC)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £696.85
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-27 12:34 BST+0100)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Fx-6300 will not perform as well as the 3220 in WoW, intel just works much better. By the time OP is ready to buy the parts haswell will be out by then, by the start of June. Waiting for that might a good idea. 1333 MHz ram ? :/ 7870 XT is a tiny more, no reason to get the GHz instead.
    I'm no expert, I only know about what I read on the Internetz! And yes Intel is better than AMD on MMO's and other CPU intensive games... but overall the 6300 is just as good if not better... also buying a dual core know is kind of risky as more and more games are comming out that can use more than 2 cores. If the op can fit it in his budget and still get decent components the I5 is the better option (wait for haswall tho) if not the 6300 is the 2nd best and the AMD3+ socket can go through steamroller as well. I've red somewhere that 1333 vs 1600 is something minimal... that you cant een notice in real world operations, that is the reason I went with the cheaperst 8Gb kit I found. And yes 7870 XT that was the one I was thinking about, just couldnt remember the name, Its very close to the performance of a 7950, If you find one get it.