Thread: How to laundry?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Most of those kinds of places have change machines. Stick a ten in it, get a bunch of quarters. Ezpz.

If they don't for some reason, just take a hundred to the bank and ask for ten rolls of quarters. Stick 'em away somewhere in your house. Restock when you get low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    As far as I read, you can't do it in the dish washer.
    I've never read that, if you decide to try it please keep us updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    For about a month on my ranch the power went out so I had to wash my clothes by hand in the winter. Now, I'm going to assume you didn't have to conserve water like I did ... First separate your clothes and fill your bathtub with the correct temperature. Drop your detergent in while it's filling and get it all nice and mixed in. From that point it's mostly dunking, rinsing, and scrubbing. The water will get dirty so you'll probably have to refill so you're not washing your clothes in dirty water. To minimize do it in small loads as often as possible.

Gently wring, and find somewhere to hang them. Don't wring too hard or you'll damage some of the fibers of the clothing.

Handwashing in cold water actually keeps clothes from having their fibers worn out faster, so it's not a bad moneysaving measure as long as you don't use too much water. Hot water isn't required get clothes "clean" because we have detergent now, and hot water actually makes stains (like blood) stick harder (and again, wears out the fibers).
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-04-28 at 05:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really see any way of avoiding the whole "back in my day" feel to this, but...

...back in my day (lol) the laundromat was a 25 minute bus ride and you had to make sure your shit was dry before 7pm, cuz that was the last ride home. Tough when you worked 6 days a week and had to use your free day off doing your laundry. We would have killed for a 2 minute, one block trip.

Then one day I became a grown up and just bought a washer.

/endoldmannonsense
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Wow just wow, did you not learn anything from your parents?

Deleted
    Step one.

Get a kit bag, fill it with used socks... i mean clothes. And hoist around your back.

Step two.

Travel to the bank, and ask for them to give you a rack of coins (I'm not sure of you Americans and you're dimes and all that) So far, so good right?

Step three.

The most crucial step, you now must travel to the laundromat and traverse the cliff of youramoronfornotlearninghowtocleanyourclothes.

It's fucking simple, you must have some sense of entitlement and whingeing to come here and cry...

(I had to wash my clothes by hand the past 4 months, i just got a washing machine and dryer... fucking godsend)

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2013-04-28 at 04:10 PM.

Deleted
    IDK but, cant you make a washing machine hook up?? It isnt verry hard to do, all you need is a drain for the water.

Deleted
    Get lots of change to reduce visits to bank.
    Buy lots of clothes to reduce amount of times you have to visit laundry.
    Buy large value packs of detergent when they are on sale and store them some place hidden.

It is possible to get your own washing machine and/or dryer, but those require space, which is something most people that just moved out don't have a lot of.

Forget about handwashing or using the drycleaner, nobody does that shit, unless it's really sensitive clothes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand this communal washing stuff.
    Just get one of these.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got around on foot in my hometown, and our complex had a laundry room on-site, with no hookup options for each apartment. I also used almost exclusively my debit card. You just have to deal with it, and get some quarters and hang on to them. There really isn't any other option.

Deleted
    you never washed your clothes manually before?
    generally i find manual washing better...

forgot most western places dont have bar of soaps meant for washing clothes and only detergent but its not like you are going through mud and muck.

with only detergent its less optimal but soak, rinse, wring, drain, repeat until clean
    Last edited by mmocf391b05d2d; 2013-04-28 at 09:11 AM.

Like people have said, go to the bank - you're not going to have so much laundry that you're going to need more than $10 worth of quarters to wash it & dry it, just make a habit of going once a week to the bank & grab a roll. I know speaking from personal experience, I tend to use cash for smaller purchases (drinks mostly) so by the end of a week I'll usually have a ton of change in my pockets - just save the proper coins up (being a Scotsman we don't have quarters and we tend to have washing machines in our own homes, even flats).
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Like people have said, go to the bank - you're not going to have so much laundry that you're going to need more than $10 worth of quarters to wash it & dry it, just make a habit of going once a week to the bank & grab a roll. I know speaking from personal experience, I tend to use cash for smaller purchases (drinks mostly) so by the end of a week I'll usually have a ton of change in my pockets - just save the proper coins up (being a Scotsman we don't have quarters and we tend to have washing machines in our own homes, even flats).
    Most major stores like Walmart, Meijer, and grocery stores will have a service desk, and they will happily exchange your bills for quarters if you are out of change past banking hours.

Quote Originally Posted by kcsaenz View Post
    You could try a hand cranked washing machine.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundry-Al...ashing+machine
    OOoooOOoo that's more like it. I might have to invest in one of these.

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 03:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    I don't understand this communal washing stuff.
    Just get one of these.
    I don't have laundry hookups. You bet the next place I move will though. It'll be the first thing I ask. Crackhead neighbors? Bullet holes in the door? That's cool, long as it has washer and dryer hookups.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Wtf, Laudry is the simplest shit ever. I put shit in hamper, and later that day i come home, and it's magically washed, folded, and put away. So do what i did, get a wife!

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    IDK but, cant you make a washing machine hook up?? It isnt verry hard to do, all you need is a drain for the water.
    Well if you want just a washing machine, you need a hot and cold main. But don't you usually need a different power box on a stronger circuit breaker?

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Wtf, Laudry is the simplest shit ever. I put shit in hamper, and later that day i come home, and it's magically washed, folded, and put away. So do what i did, get a wife!
    Workin' on that! ^.~
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Sounds awful. Here in Sweden, every apartment complex has it's own laundry room for everyone in that apartment complex to use. Even the most poor parts have it.
    Most likely it's a large complex of apartments with a central building that houses many washing machines. Sort of like a communal pool.

Deleted
    Don't be that dick who robs shops off their change, go to the bank dude

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Came to learn how to do money laundry and ended up dissapointed

Deleted
    It's really inconvenient for any harder fabrics (jeans etc), and even washing your underwear will at first give you bloody knuckles. Trick in washing by hand is using your knuckles as washingboard (you could consider buying one of those though).