Poll: Do you support drones at every major American event?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Drones flying around American soil.

Boston Police Ed Davis Wants Drones For Next Marathon.
    If this happens then every major event will have drones flying.
    Sounds expensive and when do you draw the line?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3169613.html

Do you support drones flying around every major event in America?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not?

Its not like you have anything to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Boston Police Ed Davis Wants Drones For Next Marathon.
    If this happens then every major event will have drones flying.
    Sounds expensive and when do you draw the line?

Do you support drones flying around every major event in America?
    What would a drone accomplish that a security camera wont?

Only reason not to have them would be the cost of having them...

Edit: I assume it is the non-combat ones.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they're for security and arn't armed, I don't have an issue. Non-combat drones -do- exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Why not?

Bit by bit, like frogs in a water slowly warming up to a boiling point.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Cheaper than police helicopters. Not sure how effective they are in an urban setting but I don't have any moral objection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not?

That doesn't mean that every bit of my privacy deserves scrutiny by the government. I shouldn't live in fear that I might say or do the wrong thing. We're trading our freedom for security, bit by bit, until we have nothing left but a perfect police state.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Yep.

It's not just 1984, here we come, it's "Oh God, yes, please, I need an Orwellian Big Brother police state watching every thing I do! PLEASE! DO IT NOW!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That doesn't mean that every bit of my privacy deserves scrutiny by the government. I shouldn't live in fear that I might say or do the wrong thing. We're trading our freedom for security, bit by bit, until we have nothing left but a perfect police state.
    You sound like you have something to hide.

Deleted
    As tragic as the Boston marathon was, I think it would be excessive to pour so much money into drones. If nothing else, I think it would make people feel less settled and more on edge seeing, or at least knowing, that the military has aircraft flying about for their protection, when there never used to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there's just little point in setting them up, when security cameras could do the job just as well (with the added benefit of not needing a person to fly each one).

I know I have plenty to hide. Maybe nothing illegal but it's still my life and no one else should have right to track it for any reason.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I think it's better to deal with the problem at hand than to refuse to do so for fear of a fictional problem that MIGHT occur.

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanaSlave View Post
    As tragic as the Boston marathon was, I think it would be excessive to pour so much money into drones. If nothing else, I think it would make people feel less settled and more on edge seeing, or at least knowing, that the military has aircraft flying about for their protection, when there never used to be.
    Why would they be military drones?

Deleted
    Someone please tell me the difference between a drone and a police helicopter?

10+ Year Old Account
    im not doing anything illegal, so i dont have anything to hide. but my question is, how likely is it that a drone would have foiled their plan? people stood right there and watched these guys.. and nobody realized what they were doing until it was too late. whats worse.. we had all sorts of cameras from press coverage, there isnt anything else a drone coulda done.

do we need drones at events? not really, because they cant do anything to prevent, they can only attempt to discourage. and when somebody is that determined to bring others harm, a silly drone flying around isnt gonna stop them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Why is this even important?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    While I do agree that the 'Nothing to hide' argument is a piece of crap, I don't quite agree that this will lead to any kind of slippery slope. Granted, with what happened during the Boston bombing I'm not sure a drone would've been able to pick up the two leaving the backpacks since so many other people were carrying them (Unless they plan on banning Backpacks in the future, which I could see as a possibility)

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Someone please tell me the difference between a drone and a police helicopter?
    besides a drone being cheaper, less expensive to operate, and having a much greater loiter time?