Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Depression + MMOs

When I was in high school I became DEEPLY sad and depressed. I ended up playing Ultima Online and then later Dark Age of Camelot. They sort of took over my life, it's really all I did...I know it wasn't healthy but it was a fantastic substitute for real life. I think I drowned myself out in them for about 4 years. I played WoW for a bit after that and then stopped playing MMOs for a number of years...the depression came back and got a lot worse..totally screwed my life up and have that longing to immerse myself back into a game...but now I am finding that the current formula that WoW and other MMOs is not immersive enough to keep me entertained for feel like i am a "part of it"...what happened to MMOs?! That spark that the older formulas had just isn't there anymore. The sense of community is gone, the adventure is good...now they feel more like a chore with a bit of fun here and there and if you reach max level everything is just kind of handed to you as long as you spend time going through the chore list.

Try Tera you will be pleased. It even free.

Do you have to pay for anything? Does it take a high end system to run?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    When I was in high school I became DEEPLY sad and depressed. I ended up playing Ultima Online and then later Dark Age of Camelot. They sort of took over my life, it's really all I did...I know it wasn't healthy but it was a fantastic substitute for real life. I think I drowned myself out in them for about 4 years. I played WoW for a bit after that and then stopped playing MMOs for a number of years...the depression came back and got a lot worse..totally screwed my life up and have that longing to immerse myself back into a game...but now I am finding that the current formula that WoW and other MMOs is not immersive enough to keep me entertained for feel like i am a "part of it"...what happened to MMOs?! That spark that the older formulas had just isn't there anymore. The sense of community is gone, the adventure is good...now they feel more like a chore with a bit of fun here and there and if you reach max level everything is just kind of handed to you as long as you spend time going through the chore list.
    Maybe MMOs have run their course for you. I know I have a hard time staying as interested in them as I once was. Maybe you should try immersing yourself in something else? Like you could pick up a martial art, or take up rock climbing or something. There are lots of different ways to immerse yourself in a world beyond the daily doldrums of existence, and not all of them are computer game related.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Do you have to pay for anything? Does it take a high end system to run?
    It's f2p, and I feel that you can get a lot out of it without paying for a single thing. It takes a decent system, too.

https://tera-support.enmasse.com/app...m-requirements will give more specific details about system requirements.

However, I'll agree with Reeve. You build up a tolerance of sorts to MMORPG's. To be honest, you'll never feel the exact same as you used to about them (Oh jeez, this sounds like a drug...).

Have you tried Darkfall UW? A lot of old UO and DAOC players play this now. It has quite a bit of grind but there is no hand-holding and you can progress how you want.

If people are going to be online all the time... they should start just working online... and make money from home!

I thought about downloading Tera but oh my it's so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    I thought about downloading Tera but oh my it's so much.
    Really it took me like an hour on my terrible college internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Helping View Post
    Really it took me like an hour on my terrible college internet.
    an hour to download a 35 gig game? That doesn't sound terrible...

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have depression MMOs are about as far from the answer as you can get. Hell, in my case WoW was the main cause of my depression. (Via the years of isolation it caused.)
    It really won't get better until you seek help. Until then you're just trying to suppress it and you can't keep it out of mind forever.

Depression + MMOs = Bad Things.

The makers vision and passion gave way to deadlines and profit margins, newer MMOs lack any spark to begin with because all they want is a slice of the money pie.

... as a secondary note if you are depressed consider getting real help instead of looking for another crutch.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

MMOs are the last thing you want to go near when you are depressed. You isolate yourself and think, "Why bother with real life, when I'm perfectly happy with playing WoW all day?"
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    MMOs are the last thing you want to go near when you are depressed. You isolate yourself and think, "Why bother with real life, when I'm perfectly happy with playing WoW all day?"
    Not true. In some extreme cases maybe, but I would be confident to say that WoW has saved my life in keeping my mind occupied so I didn't do anything rash or up the count of my attempted suicides.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    Not true. In some extreme cases maybe, but I would be confident to say that WoW has saved my life in keeping my mind occupied so I didn't do anything rash or up the count of my attempted suicides.
    Depression is a serious disorder, and just playing games to overcome will only drag it out. I myself drowned in WoW for a good period of time, and now I regret it deeply. What you need is therapy. Trust me, it works wonders. Don't waste the best years of your life by sitting in front of a monitor.

Rather than play a game I suggest you get some help for your depression so that you can play a game because you find it fun instead of a substitute for real life.

Deleted
    I don't know if you are a troll....telling us that you are depressive and then again baiting to the good ol' times?

but let's assume, you mean it....
    are you other guys insane, to give him other games he can play?

@ OP if you have a depression, go and find help. going 2nd round on videogames won't change much.

Lightbulb Digital Crack

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post

However, I'll agree with Reeve. You build up a tolerance of sorts to MMORPG's. To be honest, you'll never feel the exact same as you used to about them (Oh jeez, this sounds like a drug...).
    To your brain in many ways it is. It can release brain chemicals such as dopamine in much the same way a drug does and create a dependency. My nephew used to call it 'digital crack' when he used to watch me play WOW and other MMOs. Now I don't believe that MMOs cause the addiction they are just the 'drug of choice' of the addict who plays them. For me they were my 'drug of choice' but any drug (alcohol included) will do the same thing.

Are you sure you have depression and not social anxiety disorder? Depression like symptons can manifest as a coping mechanism to avoid the trigger of the anxiety. MMO's are often a way to interact with others in a "safe" environment that frees people with social anxiety from the stress of dealing with people face to face.