Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Storywise: it failed. The storyc ould had been so much better in so many ways, instead we get a ending that almost turns in to a meme.

Tirion is just a unstoppable force and there is really no challenge that sets us heroes back. Basicly we just foil the lich kings plans time after time. This makes for a very lackluster story.

Also "the lich king planed for us to come to him all along" and the "scourge always needs a lich king" was really dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoboRanger View Post
    Only good story from wrath was Ulduar. ICC just made more compound BS than it wrapped up. The entire xpac was missing Azjol Nerub story lines. Overall it was just a train wreck that could of been handled better.
    Mostly this. There was a big hole missing in the middle of that xpac. As far as the raiding tiers, I know they all tied together, if you read all the quest through all the zones, you got the story, they just didn't feel connected.

As far as gameplay, Wrath was my favorite, because I really like playing my alts, and I had enough time to log in on any of them and have fun. If I shelved one for a few months, I could pick that alt back up and be back up to speed in a couple weeks.

While I found the expansion very exciting, I think there were many big negatives to the WotLK story.

Arthas in WotLK turned into a comic book villain and ICC lacked any sort of actual scary atmosphere. Azjol-Nerub was practically left out. Argent Tournament is a massive pet peeves of mine because the location where they moved it makes no actual sense. The list could go on.

I think MoP has been far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilananazz View Post
    ...and the "scourge always needs a lich king" was really dumb.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about how much I hated that line. The elation of finally beating the LK mixed with the confusion on why we would just let someone else be the LK. The whole mess doesn't make any sense. The dude is putting on Ner'zhul's helm and is merging with him...what's the difference between that and Arthas? The whole "always has to be a Lich King" was a really dumb idea. Maybe after we defeat Bolvar following The Scourge Invastion 2.0 and Naxx 3.0, Uther will realize he was wrong and decide it's "OK" for there not to be a Lich King.

---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 12:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    While the expansion was very exciting to me, I think there were many big negatives to the WotLK story.

Arthas in WotLK turned into a comic book villain and ICC lacked any sort of actual scary atmosphere. Azjol-Nerub was practically left out. Argent Tournament is a massive pet peeves of mine because the location where they moved it makes no actual sense. The list could go on.

I think MoP has been far superior.
    Agent Tournament was another example of where lore had to be pushed aside for the sake of gameplay. I can understand why they did it, but even then it still didn't sit well because you had to ignore lore.

Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    What does Paragon killing H Lich King have to do with it?

The story elements of WotLK were indeed best (Wrathgate, ICC, even Algalon and Ulduar). But the storytelling of MoP is better, imo.
    I agree. They've greatly improved their manner of telling the story within the game, in MoP.

The subject matter in Wrath however was superior. Arthas aside, think of the overall threat of the Scourge... you begin to imagine what you (or your character) would do if someone they cared for became Scourged, or if they themselves were turned. You're touching on the subject of death and undeath, potentially eternal life... but a life lived in servitude, and likely with the loss of your memories, personality, as you become a zombified husk. Also, the stories of the heroes fighting against such a fate, and the masters of deathly powers... the paladins, the healers, the warriors, and the commonfolk caught up in it all.

Powerful stuff. In Pandaria, there are moments where the conflict becomes this real, impactful or this interesting, sure, but the overall tone is much lighter.

I can't believe people in here saying MoP lore is amazing...

Some people just like MoP lore more.

I'm not sure what's different between what other people think is good versus what you think is good in terms of worth.

It's all opinion anyway.

Powerful stuff. In Pandaria, there are moments where the conflict becomes this real, impactful or this interesting, sure, but the overall tone is much lighter.
    It is? Basically the entire Pandaria storyline is how we've utterly fucked up the continent by coming. And then there's war in Dalaran, slaughtering in the Krasarang Wilds, and the Mogu and all of their evil. And then Garrosh is executing Darkspear Trolls.

How anybody can objectively say MoP is a light expansion in terms of story kind of baffles me. You can dislike the story, but I didn't think you could call most of what happens in MoP "light."

Quote Originally Posted by Not Helping View Post
    Because it is for them, and me. Just because it might not be for you doesn't mean it can't for others.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Evilananazz View Post
    Storywise: it failed. The storyc ould had been so much better in so many ways, instead we get a ending that almost turns in to a meme.

Tirion is just a unstoppable force and there is really no challenge that sets us heroes back. Basicly we just foil the lich kings plans time after time. This makes for a very lackluster story.

Also "the lich king planed for us to come to him all along" and the "scourge always needs a lich king" was really dumb.
    ...asside from that time we unknowingly helped Drakuru take down Drak'theron keep in the name of the Lich King...

...and when the Lich King killed us in Howling Fjord, then suggested we continue on as he has a plan for us...

...and that time where he got sick of Drakuru and had us kill him.

...and that time when we watched him torture Bolvar Fordgragon in ICC via Yogg-Saron's vision.

...and that time where we helped him cleanse Stratholm to eventually get him to chase after Mal'Ganis.

Aside from those times, yeah, we did nothing but defeat the Lich King.

...asside from that time we unknowingly helped Drakuru take down Drak'theron keep in the name of the Lich King...

...and when the Lich King killed us in Howling Fjord, then suggested we continue on as he has a plan for us...

...and that time where he got sick of Drakuru and had us kill him.

...and that time when we watched him torture Bolvar Fordgragon in ICC via Yogg-Saron's vision.

...and that time where we helped him cleanse Stratholm to eventually get him to chase after Mal'Ganis.

Aside from those times, yeah, we did nothing but defeat the Lich King.
    1.) It was pretty clear toward the end of that chain what you were doing regarding Drakuru. This was like the only moment where I actually felt the story took a twist that wasn't 100% predictable.

2.) Fluff moment, nothing more. Team Rocket moment 1.

3.) He didn't have us kill Drakuru. He kills Drakuru because Drakuru wasn't strong enough to stop us. Team Rocket moment 2.

4.) Very small part of the Yogg-Saron fight that most people who were interested in the story already figured out via Alexstrasza talking after the Wrathgate.

5.) This kind of sort of already happened in another game. Spoiler alert.

Deleted
    Not so much storywise, but in terms of art, visuals and atmosphere. Whenever I sail in to Valgarde and hear that music it sends shivers down my spine.

I'm finding it hard to believe aswell. I've leveled a lot of times in Pandaria, but there's really nothing of interest there.

The mogu are basically vrykul 2.0, they have like the exact same lore. They both have a very powerfull leader that they need to awake (Lord Ymiron and Lei Shen), they both dominated the continent (trough the vrykul joined the Scourge and both dominated the thing), they both have some Curse of Flesh lorelol. The mogu don't even have their own model, and most of their architecture is just based off an ancient Chinese theme. The mantid are basically Qiraj 2.0, just with different models. As for the sha... they had potential to be interesting, but I couldn't bother with them the way they were written in MoP.

I'll have to agree that WotLK has the best lore, and I doubt that with the writing team we currently have that WotLK isn't going to be beaten any time soon. The Scourge was a major faction in WC3, and was even playable in custom matches. Because of WC3's extra buildup, and Vanilla's extra build up, WotLK became incredible when we finally fought Arthas and the Scourge in Northrend. Pandaria kinda came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    -snip-
    You really have a hard time accepting other people's opinions don't you Neily?

Deleted
    MoP is the first expansion that I consider best one while it's current.

I think MoP has done the best job at telling its story but I think WoTLK had the more interesting story I mean come on it was Arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    You really have a hard time accepting other people's opinions don't you Neily?
    Only if they can't even properly eleborate, because it makes them look like mindless drones just voting for whatever is new. .... Pebrocksy?

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Only if they can't even properly eleborate, because it makes them look like mindless drones just voting for whatever is new. .... Pebrocksy?
    People don't need to elaborate their opinions to people who are stuck in the past with clouded judgements. Neilistlysit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    People don't need to elaborate their opinions to people who are stuck in the past with clouded judgements. Neilistlysit.
    I've played all trough Wrath with all of its memory 100% stuck in my mind, same goes for TBC and Cata. I personally like WotLK's lore because of all the buildup in Warcraft 3 and The Frozen Throne, which I ironically still play to this day. Best games ever. And vanilla made me like them even more when I visited Lordaeron, especially the Eastern and Western Plaguelands.

When people say MoP has the best lore, they never seem to say why exactly. The mogu came out of nowhere, and have a rehashed story from the vrykul. But why do you like the mogu more than the vrykul then? Why do people like the mantid? All I ask is to explain the thing, or I'm looking at someone who is like ''ITS THE NEWEST SO ITS THE BEST!!!'', just to defend WoW in general.

And whats with the perv names your giving me, do I even know you?

Opinions, opinions...

While I was huge enthusiast of WotLK, and the moment Arthas was taken I felt that certain era in WoW kinda edned. I felt that MoP started something exciting. Being huge fan of Lich King I was pretty sure nothing will be compareable of awesomeness of expansion dedicated to him. But ever since I entered Jade Forest... I gotta admit that I think MoP is equally if not even better so far, when it comes to storytelling, and detail in creating new lore.

It's much eaiser to grown found of things we already knew from Warcraft , therefore keep in mind that developrs had to work really hard to create something as detailed from basicly blank slate. Becuase what be knew before about Pandaria and things connected to it? We knew almost nothing, and from that Nothing we have very well prepared content, full of details, full of improved storytelling, and whole new branch of heroes, enemies, allies, factions, ...

So having all this in mind, I think I gotta side with MoP, with which I already grown sentimental with.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

I can't believe there are people that don't think it is amazing. Those people obviously haven't done any part of the Wrathion quest chain or don't know what good lore is.