Combustion-Ignite Nightmare

Hi everyone,
    I'm still pretty new to Fire Spec, changing from Arcane (my only toon, only playing Arcane for the eight months I've been playing WoW).
    I have pretty decent gear, and am looking to get rid of my four pieces with Mastery in them, to help further.
    I'm on US-Sargeras Server, Worgen Mage VAELKDER
    My question is this (and yes, I've read EVERY post in these forums, trying to discover the answer):
    How is it that I cannot get IGNITE to get over 30K?
    I've worked and worked my rotations, researching everything available regarding the Fire Spec for Mage, and yet it seems that I cannot for the life of me get an Ignite of more than 30K, when everyone else has been getting upwards of 150K and more for their Combustions.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    us. battle. net/ wow/ en/ character/ sargeras/ Vaelkder/ advanced

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would generally just point you to the fire mage guide, combustion section, but as you have said that you have read every thread I'm not sure what to tell you. Your gearing looks right after a quick look. The only suggestion I can give you is to inturupt your pyro chain if you get a crit (two if you feel like taking a small risk) and cast combustion but this has been said in a bunch of other threads so you have likely seen the suggestion.

Just practice I guess /shrug

Oh also raid logs might give us a better idea of what you might be missing if you can provide them.
    Last edited by Me222; 2013-04-30 at 02:54 AM.

heres my strat.
    IMPORTANT: b4 i start my pyro chain i make sure i have atleast one of these trinket proc/crit banner/meta ECT.
    Mke sure combustion is set to /stop casting /cast cobustion if i see combustion helper get to 80ksih i hit combust. never hit combustion inside of AT.

Wth AT:get hotstreak buff then hold on to the pyro and keep casting FB till you get HU. After you get HU (should be in the middle of a FB cast) hit your AT/POM/eng gloves macro and cast pyro to give you a FB/pyro combo. This SHOULD give you an extra hotstreak cast your 2nd pyro, then your POM pyro, hit AT macro again, cast your HS pyro and if you need to POM pyro, then hit combust. IMPORTANT if your first pyro crits dont use your POM pyro just cast your 3/4 hotstreak pyros.

without AT: get hotstreak hold onto pyro till you get heating up once you get heating up use POM/eng gloves then cast FB/pyro combo then cast next hotstreak then cast POM pryo.

This is normal RNG for me 44% buff crit. somtimes i get better RNG and can get 5 hotstreak pryos in a row.

Hope this help with combustion

Somthing that is not in the guide that also help me is: if you have heating up and hotstreak buff cast FB then hit pyro for a FB/pyro combo. also when IB is on CD i sit on my pyros to try and get heating up by casting FB if im lucky and get heating up i cast my FB/pyro combo and 85+% of the time i will get another hotstreak.

sry for the bad grammer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by biermanjason View Post
    Somthing that is not in the guide that also help me is: if you have heating up and hotstreak buff cast FB then hit pyro for a FB/pyro combo. also when IB is on CD i sit on my pyros to try and get heating up by casting FB if im lucky and get heating up i cast my FB/pyro combo and 85+% of the time i will get another hotstreak.
    To make it more clear, what he meant is that you'll want to hold onto your Hot Streak until you get a Heating Up then do a FB into Pyro combo (or Scorch if you're moving). For me, there's a few exception rules when I will cast Pyroblast! without Heating Up proc:

-at the end of a trinket proc to get full benefit of the extra intellect and reapply a boosted Pyro dot (work wonderfully with Wushoolay's)
    -Pyro dot is about to run out (preferably when IB up so you can force a HS proc a few seconds later then hold onto it again til HU)
    -multi-Pyro-dotting (preferably with IB up with the same reason above, work well on targets where you can't reach with IB spread like Council or Tortos)
    -Hot Streak duration is about to run out (preferably with IB up again)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to have the concept down . It comes down to RNG for the most part. With AT you can have strings of up to 6 Crits which obviously is going to lead to a strong Combustion.

Essentially you never want to use Combustion unless you can pull off 2 or more crits in a row, either through the FB>Pyro>FB>Pyro>Pyro combo or the FB>Pyro>Pyro combo with poor luck. The exception to this rule is the rare scenario where you will end up losing a Combustion by not using it within a certain breakpoint within a fight; or more commonly when the boss will die within 20 seconds (at which point forcing Combustion is acceptable because you are essentially getting free damage out of a scenario where you don't have the time to build the Combustion into a more effective one).

Outside of forcing a HU+HS combo in order to start building Combustion it does not seem to be worthwhile to use IB outside of procing the initial HS.

Also to my understanding Mage DoTs don't snapshot so I don't believe that the DoT would gain much benefit from the trinket proc (though the increased damage from the Pyro itself may be worthwhile).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasted View Post
    Also to my understanding Mage DoTs don't snapshot so I don't believe that the DoT would gain much benefit from the trinket proc (though the increased damage from the Pyro itself may be worthwhile).
    Mage DoTs do take snapshot including Pyro dot and NT/LB dot (not the explosion since it counts as a separate spell).
    Last edited by mmocdae4424a1e; 2013-04-30 at 07:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This explains it better than anything above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klp_A7vbyy8

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and suggestions. I'll be working hard to become comfortable with all of this and hope that my RNG will pick up, so that I can become competitive as a Fire Mage.

And I was always upset that I couldn't get my ignite above 60k. But I switched back to frost anyway. Don't like Fire -.- this randomness sucks.

I made a thread just like this about a week ago. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Since then, I managed to kick my 4 pc on and it's been night and day. I went from not ranking to several top 100 last night (including 17th on one). Overall, it seems like there is a significant gear component to it: the more crit and haste, the better.

But it's possible your situation might not be completely gear. Make sure you're using the heating up+hot streak-> fireball+pyro rotation bit, which you can find in Vykina's guide. You should also watch his opener video and practice it until you get used to doing it.

Other stuff: make sure your raid is using sane strategies on various bosses. Make sure you're not moving too much and scorching too much as a consequence. Make sure when you DO scorch, you're doing the heating up+hot streak thing, only with scorch instead of fireball. Make sure you're using combustion at the best times you can for that fight, and as a note, make sure you're not holding out for a "good enough" combustion and losing time. Make sure you're pre-potting and then potting during the fight as well.

If that stuff doesn't sort you out, it's possible you're just cursed.

As we all know RNG plays a big part of this but with gear you will have leas RNG (you hope). Last night on heroic Jin'rokh the Breaker 10man I stringed 4 combustions over 140K I was so happy....