Poll: Which is the best work week?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I made a thread about this a while back. Personally, I like the idea of a 10 day week, with 2 days off, 3 days of work, 2 more days off, then 3 more days of work. With how productive society is now, it's absurd we should still be working 8 AM to 5 PM 5 days per week.

If we still want to have a similar work time/rest time ratio to what we have now, you could instead do 2 days off, 3 on, 1 off, 4 on.

Either way, you end up with a consistent 30 3 week month where the dates always fall on the same day of the week every month, with 5 extra leftover days at the end of the year that can be a holiday. That also helps holiday planning, because the holidays always fall on the same day of the week every year.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I currently work 3 x 12 (security position) and it blows. I wouldn't mind switching it for 4 x 10 honestly. 4 extra hours plus I don't really need that extra day off.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Deleted
    The work week requirements depend on which jobs you do. Ideally you should be able to work from home as much as possible (3 days a week at least), communicate with your coworkers via instant messaging or Skype. For that a fixed working schedule for only 4 hours a day is needed, 2-3 days a week (where you can reach your colleagues). How you spend the rest of your hours is up to you.

Of course there are jobs where this isn't possible, but wherever it is possible working conditions like these need to be applied to allow a wide variety of lifestyles, reduce carbon emissions and traffic. It's also easier to get children with flexible working conditions. This is how I work at least and it rocks.

Almost nobody in my department works 5x8 unless they are management level. All of us analyst work a 9x9 schedule. Where I do 9hrs M-F, then M-R...and have a 3 day weekend every other week. I like it a lot better than a 5x8...especially since my vacation days aren't hours, they are full days...so it works in my favor =)

Outside of people that work low end hourly paid jobs I don't know anybody that does a 5x8 work week. I haven't worked that type of schedule myself in 15 years, none of my friends do and the only ones really close to it are still paid hourly.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of work week do you work?
    20.5 hours, 1x6 1x6.5 1x8.

What kind of work week do you want to work? Why?
    None at this current job, because I hate it. But with a proper job, 6x5 I guess. I feel that 8x5 is just too much, it feels like you're barely home and then you have to go back to work. Call me lazy or w/e but I don't want to live to work.

Are there any models of manhour distribution that I overlooked?
    9x5 maybe? My friend used to work 9-6, 45 hour week.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I work around 75 hours on average according to my time tracking software. I'm a web developer, work at home most of the time when I'm not on a business trip. I work every day of the week, though I do try and take Sunday off, I usually work that evening. I enjoy my work. There's been many weeks when I do more than 100 hours in a week.

I have worked a 5x8 (8:30 - 5). I enjoyed it, I usually worked ~50 hours per week there actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    any more than 8 hours at a time is exhausting for me.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

5x10+1x4 most of the time

Flexitime, because sometimes I just don't want to get up at 6am damnit. I am also someone who likes results not mindless hours at desk systems. If you can achieve your workload all in one day, more power to you. Why? because this idea you get up and are 100% every day for 8-10 hours is inhuman.

I think we should work around 5 day weeks. That is 3 days of work and a 2 day weekend. There is something to be said for mid week blues. I think it would be great for morale and overall well being. Hey, you might even overcome the 16%? deficit in hours worked through increased productivity alone. This way January the first is always a monday since 365 is perfectly divisible by 5, and feb the 29th? you don't get a day, you are leap day and you always occur in the middle of a weekend Our free day is off damn you.

I looked before and there is not any serious study as to whether this might be beneficial.

8:30-5:30 Monday to Friday with a half hour for lunch which is a bit of a joke because I still handle the phones during lunch.

It's not so much I want to change hours but how those hours are spent. I wish my boss would hire more people so I didn't end up running around with my head cut off. I've had jobs that start at 11 and end at 4:30 and quite enjoyed since it meant more play time during the day. I do wish we had a bit more time off as Canada is a tad behind other countries in mandatory holidays. Victoria Day in 3 weeks for instance will be only our 3rd Stat Holiday this year and 7 I believe overall. It would also be nice to be able to take days off when your in a lousy mood.

Deleted
    40 hours weekly, flexible time schedule distributed weekly (I get my timetable every sunday), summer season only (with overtime ends up at 5x10.x~11, proven 4 years in a row)

I would take a 4x10 all the way but it would probably end up at 4x12, damn spaniards... I would probably go nuts by the fourth day of the week.

Instead of reducing workdays, I'd reduce worktime, a 5x6 sounds reasonable, it frees up your mornings/evenings and, personally, by the 7th hour I tend to be a little worn out and I am less productive. That's why my boss splits my worktime quite evenly, 5 hours of work, 1-2 hours resting, 3 hours work(yeah well, add in a couple more). Win, win?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've worked 4x10 and 5x8 equally in the past 5 years, and I prefer 4x10. Granted, I had every Friday off for a three day weekend so that made it even more amazing.

Other. I do a 21 - 28 on 10 off shift. 12-14 H / Day. OT after 8 and at 50$ an hour base it's pretty nice. Crazy benefits and bonus packages as well.

Most industries simply don't need a 40 hour work week at all at this point.

However, the CEO's etc of the world would never willingly decide to pay folks the same amount of money for fewer hours worked, so good luck ever getting society to alter it's thinking on this matter.

My official office hours are 10AM-6PM Mon-Fri so I can take the kids to school/to their grandparents and have time in the morning.

I have a flex schedule however. I am only required to see 20 hours worth of clients per week, the rest of my time can be spent wherever as long as the paperwork is done, I am available by phone during my office hours, and I do the required coordination.

So the actual time working doesn't always turn into that.

I prefer the schedule I have. I can't be late as far as the office is concerned. The only people I have to answer to is each individual client.

As far as a regular schedule, when I had one, I liked working 7-330 x5. It's nice to get out and have nearly the whole afternoon ahead of you.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm salary, I don't even remember what a 40 hour work week looks like.

I'd prefer a 4 day week though.
    Last edited by Gegan; 2013-04-30 at 08:03 PM.

Uncle Sam open = I work

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

5x 7.5

Monday - Friday

I would like a full 40hr work week just because that is more money. I get a set rate of vaction days so it does not matter how many hours I work.

There is the 32 hour work week.
    40hr Friday- Saturday- Sunday work week 8hr followed by two 16hr shifts (Used to work this one myself) or you can pick up another day in the week if you don't want to do Fridays
    7 on 7 off

4x10 is what I work and it is what I want to work. I love my weds thrs sun off.

Just wish the actual hours were different 0400-1400 ....yeeesh

10+ Year Old Account
    I use to work on a 3 x 12 work week and it was amazing until corporate caught on and wouldn't let me do it anymore.