Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    I get that a lot of people posting here are college kids, but if a game isn't worth your money, how can it possibly be worth your time?
    I am not sure why you are asking this question to me. I am neither a "college kid" nor I pirate the games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I am not sure why you are asking this question to me. I am neither a "college kid" nor I pirate the games.
    Because you proposed a situation where one wouldn't spend their money on a game, but still spend their time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    Because you proposed a situation where one wouldn't spend their money on a game, but still spend their time on it.
    I didn't proposed any situation, it's the reality. Most people who pirate the game won't buy it anyway, do you disagree with that? I am not really sure what's the reason. Maybe they do not value anything that is not physical...

Deleted
    I didn't proposed any situation, it's the reality. Most people who pirate the game won't buy it anyway, do you disagree with that? I am not really sure what's the reason. Maybe they do not value anything that is not physical...
    I guess the irony is that currency isn't physical either. (Yes, you have banknotes and coins, but those are more akin to DVD's, the value doesn't come from the physical material.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lavafoxx View Post
    I feel that the people who claim this are either confused or flat out lying.
    lol any evidence to support this at all.. or just a random outburst?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    lol any evidence to support this at all.. or just a random outburst?
    Starts his sentence with "I feel". That should tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    Good games sell well, they get pirated, then they sell more. Bad games often sell as well, they get pirated, then don't sell anymore simply because the quality is not worth a penny. When you buy a Ferrari, you know the level of quality you will receive, when you buy an X publisher game, it's a gamble. Studios should focus more on releasing polished games, less on counting potential lost sales they would never have made in the first place.
    $60 game, at most, being compared to a $125,000 car.... Really? Video game quality is subjective. Everyone is a different flavor of geek, and the bigger the title the more people and, obviously, more people who dislike it. Similar to cooking, matching everyone's palette in the same dish is impossible.

It's a two way street. If you want to be respected, you should return the courtesy. When all you do is try to rip people off launching half finished products and/or services, you get what you deserve.
    Nobody deserves to have their shit stolen, and even less to be out-voiced by the same thieves when you ask for help. Robin Hood excuses are laughable. Rich people don't deserve to be protected any more or less than the poor. You bought a game that sucked? Join the ranks of people that try things and don't like them.

Piracy thrived feeding on the greed of industry tycoons. They are the ones that caused it and it is only a problem for subpar games.
    Lol. What a ridiculous statement. Capitalism is fine if you're the one making money, as I'm sure you don't demand your employer pay you the same salary forever without accounting for CoL increases and profitable quarters. If someone else makes money off you, though, it's a problem.

Hypocrite.

The war against piracy hus turned into a money grabbing fest trying to prevent people from even owning what they pay for, preventing second hand sales. I'd like to see X company CEO being told he can't sell his 300k $ car, cos he doesn't own it really, he just paid for a license to drive it lol.
    I don't think you grasp the concept of purchasing. What do you even mean here? Cloud music and gaming?

I'm glad Europe is a bit more rational with the outlook on what piracy really is, with several governments seriously considering laws that allow people to return games within a certain period of time, should they not live up to it's marketing foo. In couple of countries it's already possible, and I am really hoping that tendency will spread to more.

Pirating is stealing, no doubt about it, so is marketing something in a way that doesn't reflect the real quality of the final product/level of service.
    I like the idea of holding companies accountable for the quality of their product and I hope it takes off in Europe. Would be nice in America.

False advertising and good marketing have blurred lines. Neither case warrants theft, though.
    Last edited by Prag; 2013-05-04 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    I don't think you grasp the concept of purchasing. What do you even mean here? Cloud music and gaming?
    It does not require massive mental power to understand that sentence. He means when you pay for a game, you own that copy and it's now your property and you should be able to legally re-sell it just like you legally re-sell a car. He's totally right. Software companies became too greedy and not allowing users to re-sell their copy is proof of it. I just can't grasp the difference between a game(copy be it digital or hard-copy) and another physical product. From companies perspective "it's still product, company still invest for it so pirating it is stealing" BUT when it comes to end-user perspective its treated differently than ordinary physical products. What a hypocricy. Companies can write their own EULA in legal boundaries but that does not mean they are not greedy bastards. I hate modern licences/EULAs and when that shitty EULAs combo with modern governments who gives no shit to customers but favors companies all the time(this is the situation on my country), consumer gets fucked in the ass but you wanna hear what I hate even more? Ignorant customers who think if companies do not force such licences they wont be earning money.

It does not require massive mental power to understand that sentence. He means when you pay for a game, you own that copy and it's now your property and you should be able to legally re-sell it just like you legally re-sell a car. He's totally right. Software companies became too greedy and not allowing users to re-sell their copy is proof of it. I just can't grasp the difference between a game(copy be it digital or hard-copy) and another physical product. From companies perspective "it's still product, company still invest for it so pirating it is stealing" BUT when it comes to end-user perspective its treated differently than ordinary physical products. What a hypocricy. Companies can write their own EULA in legal boundaries but that does not mean they are not greedy bastards. I hate modern licences/EULAs and when that shitty EULAs combo with modern governments who gives no shit to customers but favors companies all the time(this is the situation on my country), consumer gets fucked in the ass but you wanna hear what I hate even more? Ignorant customers who think if companies do not force such licences they wont be earning money.
    Don't be an asshole about it, especially since your point is off-base. Companies don't want you to re-sell products because you are then redistributing a product with their name on it that they can't QC.

The XBox squashing used game distribution is bullshit and I don't support it, so I won't be buying their product. I won't be stealing one either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ichime View Post
    Starts his sentence with "I feel". That should tell you pretty much everything you need to know.
    i wasnt actually asking him.

Don't be an asshole about it, especially since your point is off-base.
    How is my point off-base?

Companies don't want you to re-sell products because you are then redistributing a product with their name on it that they can't QC.
    Yes they don't and that's what I am talking about. You can sell your car but you can't do the same for your game. Why? and what's the difference? Please tell me what's "morally" or "legally" wrong about selling your game compared to selling your car.

The XBox squashing used game distribution is bullshit and I don't support it, so I won't be buying their product. I won't be stealing one either.
    At which part of my post I suggested pirating? I just said I am neutral.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2013-05-04 at 11:07 PM.

This is pretty brilliant. Can give them abit off attention aswell.

Made me smile atleast
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

How is my point off-base?

Yes they don't and that's what I am talking about. You can sell your car but you can't do the same for your game. Why? and what's the difference? Please tell me what's "morally" or "legally" wrong about selling your game compared to selling your car.

At which part of my post I suggested pirating? I just said I am neutral.
    You're right, your point isn't off base, it's just non-existent. Why are you talking about re-selling your used game? You've always been able to do it with hard copies. Digital copies, I don't know. I wouldn't personally want to buy a used digital copy. I have no idea what the guy selling it did to it, what was added or removed and what the end result will be. Same reason I never got into bootlegged movies - you didn't know if the $5 was going to net you a 5 minute clip or 2 hours of the back of some guys head.

I assumed you were discussing pirating because the last 19 pages have been about piracy.

The example of selling a car versus a digital copy of a game is pretty retarded no matter what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Oh how witty of you. Like you could do anything in D2.
    that joke wrote itself, i didn't need to be witty.

You're right, your point isn't off base, it's just non-existent. Why are you talking about re-selling your used game? You've always been able to do it with hard copies. Digital copies, I don't know. I wouldn't personally want to buy a used digital copy. I have no idea what the guy selling it did to it, what was added or removed and what the end result will be. Same reason I never got into bootlegged movies - you didn't know if the $5 was going to net you a 5 minute clip or 2 hours of the back of some guys head.

I assumed you were discussing pirating because the last 19 pages have been about piracy.

The example of selling a car versus a digital copy of a game is pretty retarded no matter what your point is.
    You say it's off-base or non-existent without explanation and then call my analogy retarded again without explanation. Do you expect me to take you seriously?

I really don't have too much respect for this. Piracy is bad and all, but when you are trying to promote against it when your game is a blatant rip off of Game Dev Story, we have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post
    I really don't have too much respect for this. Piracy is bad and all, but when you are trying to promote against it when your game is a blatant rip off of Game Dev Story, we have problems.
    Please show me a PC version of Game Dev Story that isn't in Japanese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    Please show me a PC version of Game Dev Story that isn't in Japanese.
    Does that mean that just traducing a game is original?

You say it's off-base or non-existent without explanation and then call my analogy retarded again without explanation. Do you expect me to take you seriously?
    I explained exactly why your point was neither relevant to the topic of the thread (Thread: Indie game developer strikes back at pirates) nor accurate. Do you really need another explanation as to why comparing the resale of a physical product (car) to the resale of digital software isn't really an appropriate analogy? Besides, I already told you I disagree with the push away from things like Gamestop and EB Games. I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Does that mean that just traducing a game is original?
    Nothing is original anymore.