Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I hope the some of the crew made it out okay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/us-cargo-plane...062752227.html

It was a Civilian craft, not Military.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 08:51 PM ----------

Wait until you are in one when they take off like that, there is a reason they issue brown uniforms out there.

hell no, i hate plane take offs as it is!

stupid question here, since they have to take off like that to avoid being shot at, how do they land? im guessing they cant land like that, so do they just do it normall and hope for the best?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    hell no, i hate plane take offs as it is!

stupid question here, since they have to take off like that to avoid being shot at, how do they land? im guessing they cant land like that, so do they just do it normall and hope for the best?
    They usually land at night time, low and fast.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    terrible that people lost their lives, but that is quite an amazing spectacle

Deleted
    That's sad .

10+ Year Old Account
    A civilian cargo plane crash at Bagram Air Field north of Kabul in Afghanistan has killed seven people.

Pretty nuts, word is that it was carrying 5 MRAPS when the cargo shifted, causing it to be back heavy. Unusual to see it so close up when they crash.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bagra...urfaces-2013-4
    As an Aerial Porter, I just want to know who loaded that aircraft. It is our job to ensure that heavy cargo (or well, any cargo) does not shift in flight. Civilian contractors? Or an aerial port and loadmaster who didn't do their job? Civilian aircraft, yes, but the military uses their own to load civilian aircraft all the time.

Always always ALWAYS make sure the CB is in the proper range and the restraints are tight and secure and adequate for the load!

ALWAYS.

Or people die.

Sorry, get a little miffed about people not doing my job correctly . . .
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    While it is sad for those people involveld, it is the most awesome recording of a real world event that I have ever seen. 9/11 comes close, but the cameras were too far away for the most part.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    As an Aerial Porter, I just want to know who loaded that aircraft. It is our job to ensure that heavy cargo (or well, any cargo) shifts in flight. Civilian contractors? Or an aerial port and loadmaster who didn't do their job? Civilian aircraft, yes, but the military uses their own to load civilian aircraft all the time.

Always always ALWAYS make sure the CB is in the proper range and the restraints are tight and secure and adequate for the load!

ALWAYS.

Or people die.

The loadmaster was killed in the crash, so I guess we will never find the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    To expand on this:

Weight shifts to the rear, this causes the pitch to be steeper than intended. This limits the flow of air over the top of the wing (Bernoulli's Principle) and thus the airplane stalls and loses lift, then it loses airspeed, and then we saw what happens next: he didn't have enough altitude to regain airspeed and proper pitch.
    Yep, a stall is unrecoverable without altitude.

If this occurred at 30,000 feet, they'd be able to recover, but there'd be no reason to even enter a stall. Stalls are only common near the ground because those are periods when the aircraft is entering nose-high attitudes.
    Putin khuliyo

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The loadmaster was killed in the crash, so I guess we will never find the answer.
    he probably had one of those flashes right before the crash of where he said to himself "man i really should have double-checked those straps"

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    Did you see how hard that plane collided with the ground? Unless you were unconscious so your body was relaxed, I highly doubt that would be survivable. That was pretty much a stone drop right into the ground, except that stone is a giant plane.
    The g-load on passengers in an airline crash at takeoff and landing speeds (obviously not when the plane is going balls to the walls) usually isn't enough to be instantly fatal. Most deaths aren't due to the impact itself but are due to subsequent injury from debris and fire. So by eliminating the fire, your chances of having survivors in such a crash are increased. This has all been studied to death already, experiments have been done with fuel coagulating agents to see if that reduces the fire from impact but they were unsuccessful, but that was years ago, so I'm just saying I'm surprised they still haven't come up with something.

spent some time at bagram.. the base itself is basically surrounded completely by really tall mountains. and planes taking off and landing here typically do what's called "combat landings/takeoffs" where they'll shoot straight down in a spiral then level off at the last possible second to deter enemy rockets from landing. Bagram gets banged up every single day with mortars and rockets.. pilots probably were trying to get the hell out of dodge when some poor Air Force guy didn't chain the cargo down right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    he probably had one of those flashes right before the crash of where he said to himself "man i really should have double-checked those straps"
    Well there's a lot of possibilities. My guess, since we'll never know, is that they didn't use the right number of chains to contend with the G-forces. It's also possible that a chain was old and broke, breaking the rest of the chains in the process by making the load unbearable.

Either way, it is both the aerial port and the loadmaster's job to ensure that the chains are adequate, secure and set up properly.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I´m surprised that there was no noise when the airplane blew up, I thought the explosion would at least shatter the windows of the car since he was pretty close to the airplane.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    I´m surprised that there was no noise when the airplane blew up, I thought the explosion would at least shatter the windows of the car since he was pretty close to the airplane.
    You could hear the low rumble froms the crash. And the plane didn't explode. It pretty much annihillated on impact, so while all the fuel caught on fire rapidly, it just expanded into all directions more or less freely. The fire also spreads way too slowly(1), as the fuel only ignites after it spills out or the tank walls surrounding it rupture, which is dependant of the planes relatively slow(1) crashing velocity.This means there's no build up in pressure, no blastwaves and no loud bangs. Giant ball of fire isn't all that it takes to make an explosion.

(1) Slowly in terms of chemical explosions

10+ Year Old Account
    The date on camera seems a little bit off... anyway RIP.

As an Aerial Porter, I just want to know who loaded that aircraft. It is our job to ensure that heavy cargo (or well, any cargo) does not shift in flight. Civilian contractors? Or an aerial port and loadmaster who didn't do their job? Civilian aircraft, yes, but the military uses their own to load civilian aircraft all the time.

ALWAYS.

Or people die.

couldn't it also be possible the load was secured properly, but it was a part failure? microscopic metal fatigue? strap breakage? etc?

Sometimes you can do everything right, and everything can still go wrong.

or human error like you say

Is it standard issue in russia to have a camera mounted in every car?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    couldn't it also be possible the load was secured properly, but it was a part failure? microscopic metal fatigue? strap breakage? etc?

Sometimes you can do everything right, and everything can still go wrong.

or human error like you say
    Well I suppose metal fatigue is a possibility and that could be hard to catch, but most likely it is human error. I had to take Flight Safety in college and in that course I found that accidents, especially one like this, that are *not* preventable are exceedingly rare.

Without more information though, I can't rule it out.

But always check the chains and devices, make sure they aren't worn out, make sure they're symmetrical and make sure you have more than the appropriate restraint. And always make sure the cargo will not move.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Is it standard issue in russia to have a camera mounted in every car?
    Bagram is in Afghanistan and I'd assume these are Americans.
    Putin khuliyo

Well I suppose metal fatigue is a possibility and that could be hard to catch, but most likely it is human error. I had to take Flight Safety in college and in that course I found that accidents, especially one like this, that are *not* preventable are exceedingly rare.

Without more information though, I can't rule it out.

But always check the chains and devices, make sure they aren't worn out, make sure they're symmetrical and make sure you have more than the appropriate restraint. And always make sure the cargo will not move.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 06:12 PM ----------

Bagram is in Afghanistan and I'd assume these are Americans.
    Probably an Afghan :\