Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Some languages (as the post above you mentions) do use double negatives like this.

Anyway are people really so up tight about slang type talking?
    Probably because they think they're better than everyone else just because they're different. Been a pretty consistent thing over the last couple thousand years.
    Proud Conservative and lover of guns, freedom and the Constitution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    We don't need no education

Oh yes you do, you just used a double negative.

But I don't mind, gives the language a bit swung, innit mate?
    That was the point of the song..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    That was the point of the song..
    He was quoting "The IT crowd", a very popular British comedy series.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    FLAMMABLE versus INFLAMMABLE

Stupid english....

>_<

For as crappy as English is it is completely made up for with the following 2 expressions. OK and WTF.

Deleted
    Of course it's wrong, it's obviously wrong, but the bottom-line is it's slang. In Scotland for example, we have a phrase "wan ae they wans". Means basically "one of those ones", they change the 'those' to 'they', but everyone knows exactly what it means, no one except maybe a pathetic snobby posh person would call them out on it. Every language has them.

Or a more-broad range one, "let's see if we can't do anything about that", it makes just as much sense as to say "I ain't got no money", but everyone knows what it means, stop nit-picking.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 04:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    It is an educational problem, they should have been taught the correct way.
    Nothing to do with education, admittedly it is an American thing from my experience, but they don't REALLY believe that that is proper use of the English language, as I said above, it's slang.

"I could care less" is a classic example.
    I always thought that was one of those sayings where they left the "how" unsaid.

For example, I could care less about <x> - because I care less about the steaming pile of shit some horse just took in a pasture somewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    Of course it's wrong, it's obviously wrong, but the bottom-line is it's slang. In Scotland for example, we have a phrase "wan ae they wans". Means basically "one of those ones", they change the 'those' to 'they', but everyone knows exactly what it means, no one except maybe a pathetic snobby posh person would call them out on it. Every language has them.

Or a more-broad range one, "let's see if we can't do anything about that", it makes just as much sense as to say "I ain't got no money", but everyone knows what it means, stop nit-picking.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 04:16 PM ----------

Nothing to do with education, admittedly it is an American thing from my experience, but they don't REALLY believe that that is proper use of the English language, as I said above, it's slang.
    What is bad is when some Scots type out their accent, makes it very confusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because two things have the same differences doesn't mean they are the same.

The phrase "same difference" is used to say two things are the same.

"Should I wear green or forest?"

"Same difference."

^ this type of answer to this question will annoy quite a few people. Forest and simply green are two different colours that are both green, thing is just because they're both a type of green doesn't mean they are the same and the person answering "same difference" here is just an annoyance.
    I would probably just reply "Forest isn't a color, it's the place with a lot of trees" :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    I always thought that was one of those sayings where they left the "how" unsaid.

For example, I could care less about <x> - because I care less about the steaming pile of shit some horse just took in a pasture somewhere.
    Saying you could care less about the pile of horse manure is implying you do care, at least a little, it means you have not hit the bottom of your not caring metre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because two things have the same differences doesn't mean they are the same.

The phrase "same difference" is used to say two things are the same.

"Should I wear green or forest?"

"Same difference."

^ this type of answer to this question will annoy quite a few people. Forest and simply green are two different colours that are both green, thing is just because they're both a type of green doesn't mean they are the same and the person answering "same difference" here is just an annoyance.
    Well "same difference" isn't really a grammatically correct statement, it's more of an idiom. It basically means that the difference between the two are insignificant.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeth View Post
    We don't need no education.
    You sir, I salute you!

OT: Stop mixing written and spoken language, spoken language doesn't have (no) proper grammar.

Saying you could care less about the pile of horse manure is implying you do care, at least a little, it means you have not hit the bottom of your not caring metre.
    No no - I could care less about the topic at hand, for example if it were a pile of horse manure.

"Hey man, you should come outside and hang out."
    "Nah, I have this new fire emblem game I'm playing."
    "Dude, we're all going to the movies."
    "Man, I could care less about the movies."

He cares less about the horse manure than the movies.

It's not implying you do care because most people know exactly what you mean. The phrasing when under scrutiny may imply one thing, but when it's said, or read everyone knows exactly what the meaning is.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tried to explain double negatives to my Spanish teacher...I do not think he really ever understood it:/.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    It only makes sense in English. "Cult" language or slang or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    A Yorkshire saying drives me nuts. Well, one of many they spout

"Same difference".

/raaaaaaaaage
    I use that all the time. I don't get the rage with it. It may be a bit awkward, but that doesn't mean that it is contradictory.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Deleted
    What is bad is when some Scots type out their accent, makes it very confusing.
    I'm glad the Danish don't do that, that would be 100x more confusing :P

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I ain't got no money

I don’t mean to put no pressure on you

etc

How does this make sense? I AIN'T got NO money. So you DO have money. DON'T mean to put NO pressure on you. So you ARE trying to put pressure on someone.

Why does it mean the opposite of what it should actually mean?
    I hate double negatives. They're really, really stupid. No offense.

This is relavent

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I hate double negatives. They're really, really stupid. No offense.
    You just insulted The Rolling Stones
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-05-07 at 04:36 PM.