Poll: Should we treat smoking around children as a form of abuse?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    It is Reduced Fat (2%) Milk and Gala apple slices. How is it bad?
    Reduced fat milk? How disgusting - yuck (also low fat doesnt mean good. People kinda need fats, even tho the word is scary and has stigma in food).

Also the whole mcdonalds thing. You can lose weight and change eating habits when you are bit older, but you cant usually "just get better" if you have something that has caused by being affected by cig smoke.. Like on first page - getting chronic bronchitus cant be cured by going to treadmill, unlike something caused by mickey D's

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    Noone said to ban cigarettes based on that. But when you think about it .1% is 27 metric tons of carbon emissions so that is a shit ton. There are so many reasons to ban it all together but smokers are so addicted they just keep defending it.
    Presumably you play video games. Video Gaming can be a destructive habit, both socially and physically. This means we should ban video games? Add to the fact that there are factories the produce the hardware for said gaming, as well as all the electricity that is used to create the software. How good are video games looking now? Perhaps you need to get over your zealousness. It is a small personal freedom. Get over it.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Reduced fat milk? How disgusting - yuck (also low fat doesnt mean good. People kinda need fats, even tho the word is scary and has stigma in food).

Also the whole mcdonalds thing. You can lose weight and change eating habits when you are bit older, but you cant usually "just get better" if you have something that has caused by being affected by cig smoke.. Like on first page - getting chronic bronchitus cant be cured by going to treadmill, unlike something caused by mickey D's
    No, it doesn't mean it is good. I could have just said "milk" and I would have meant the same thing. Milk isn't "bad" for you. Too much can be, sure, but so can too much of anything else.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Presumably you play video games. Video Gaming can be a destructive habit, both socially and physically. This means we should ban video games? Add to the fact that there are factories the produce the hardware for said gaming, as well as all the electricity that is used to create the software. How good are video games looking now? Perhaps you need to get over your zealousness. It is a small personal freedom. Get over it.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 07:51 PM ----------

No, it doesn't mean it is good. I could have just said "milk" and I would have meant the same thing. Milk isn't "bad" for you. Too much can be, sure, but so can too much of anything else.
    Just... *sigh*... You really can't compare video games to smoking...

One's a source of entertainment, nothing more. It's not pumping some chemical into your body to make playing it feel good. Smoking is just feeding an addiction, nothing more. It's only legal because of the money that's in it. I'd also go on and on how playing a video game isn't going to shoot waves of lazyness to all people in the area, but that's a dead horse that's been beaten enough...

Let's try and find a comparison to smoking and pets next. Pets can bite your child, right? Ban animals!!
    Last edited by Zonas; 2013-05-09 at 03:10 AM.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

The war on smokers continues. I feel like it's going to turn into the crusades or a witch hunt every month I see something else against smokers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    The war on smokers continues. I feel like it's going to turn into the crusades or a witch hunt every month I see something else against smokers.
    Maybe if they stopped perpetuating a consistent public health hazard, like people that refuse to get vaccinated, there wouldn't be so much of a crusade.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 08:12 PM ----------

It is Reduced Fat (2%) Milk and Gala apple slices. How is it bad?
    Reduced fat milk is bad because, well, it reduces the fat, while Gala apple slices are very high in sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
    Smoking pollutes the air and is carried near and far, think about what you say before you speak my child.

Drinking does nothing, even if it's in front of your child, if you're a drunk then you shouldn't have a child or it shouldn't be around you.
    If you give him/her a drink of the beer, then that's abuse.

Unleathy eating, it's possible, most children take after their parents and if the parent gives the child excessive unhealthy food then I would consider is abuse to make the child obese.

I don't see how an inactive lifestyle affects anyone, unless of course you're neglecting your child, that's called child neglect.

You're bringing up many other issues that really don't belong in the same category at all.
    Technically speaking, there is no scientific evidence to support the assertion that secondhand smoke is harmful. The only study conducted was debunked when it was discovered the head of the project was accepting kickbacks and had an agenda.

Perhaps something has come up in recent years; but if that's the case I'm unaware of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    All three of them are examples of things that get you high. Becoming high is an incentive. Please tell me some incentives of smokers cigarettes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

Do your own research. There are several points within that page that point to "benefits". Do they outweigh the negative? Likely not. However, that doesn't mean there aren't some.

And before you say"LOLWikipedia", look at the sources, as that is the important factor.

I doubt anyone will argue with you that smoking is good, but it likely isn't as bad as it has been demonized over the last 20 years or so.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Deleted
    Absolutely not! We spend too much time trying to victimize kids and even more time trying to convince children just how bad they have it at home as it is. This may be a problem for self-important white knighting child psychologists but for the kids, no, not a real issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Just... *sigh*... You really can't compare video games to smoking...

One's a source of entertainment, nothing more. It's not pumping some chemical into your body to make playing it feel good. Smoking is just feeding an addiction, nothing more. It's only legal because of the money that's in it. I'd also go on and on how playing a video game isn't going to shoot waves of lazyness to all people in the area, but that's a dead horse that's been beaten enough...

Let's try and find a comparison to smoking and pets next. Pets can bite your child, right? Ban animals!!
    "Nothing more" is subjective. Video games can cause many chemical reactions within your body. Playing can release many chemicals from your brain based on your mood while playing. Playing video games releases endorphins (Adrenaline, Dopamine, etc.) in your body as a reward. This leads to addictive behavior. Nicotine does similar, as does sex, eating, and many other addictive activities. Any addiction can lead to destructive behavior. The game itself may not give you the "feel good" chemicals, but playing it does. While it is true that not all people become addicted to gaming, many have, and it can cause a lot of problems.

All I am trying to point out is anything can become an addiction, and it can all lead to destructive behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    For all of you people saying that feeding McDonalds compares to smoking in the house... you are sadly mistaken. I agree that feeding a child McDonalds like 3 times a week is a bit much, but damage from smoke is much, much worse... and permanent. A child can always exercise/eat a little less or simply grow and not gain weight, and look as if they aren't as fat. Tbh, smoking causes much more severe and long term damage than eating McDonalds...

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 11:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Technically speaking, there is no scientific evidence to support the assertion that secondhand smoke is harmful. The only study conducted was debunked when it was discovered the head of the project was accepting kickbacks and had an agenda.

Perhaps something has come up in recent years; but if that's the case I'm unaware of it.

Ummmm........ breathing in the SMOKE that comes off of cigarettes?

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    To the people that say yes, I ask you this:

Should drinking at home with kids be considered abuse?
    Should unhealthy eating and/or drinking habits be considered abuse?
    Should an inactive lifestyle be considered abuse?

If you can say no to those, how can you say yes to smoking being considered abuse?
    Smoking DIRECTLY affects the kid.

Drinking can affect the kid if the parent is awful and gets drunk around a 7 year old... or lets the kid drink some. Unhealthy eating is dumb as well, but the child can eat less. It's obvious that eating like shit for days and days and days is bad. An inactive lifestyle isn't as bad as you think... especially if said person can eat relatively well. Walking the dogs around the block for 20 mins each day is enough exercise to maintain weight.
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2013-05-09 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next it'll be considered slavery and child labour to make your kid help out in the household and mow the lawn.
    Yeah, smoking at home when you have kids is bad, and people should know better. My parents both did it, and I hated it, but guess what: I lived.
    They'd never force me to stay in the same room they were smoking in, and I was outside most of the time anyways.
    Why are people nowadays so eager to give up privacy and freedom even if it realistically won't change anything. What are they going to do? Put kids in a state-run foster home because their parents were smoking? Yeah, that prospect'll encourage them to complain. Have kids sue their own parents so the government can fine them? It's getting more ridiculous every year.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2013-05-09 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post

Ummmm........ breathing in the SMOKE that comes off of cigarettes?
    In the real world you don't get to just say "Just LOOK at it!" and expect to be taken seriously.

As mentioned, there's no current evidence (that I'm aware of) that second-hand smoke is harmful. There's also no evidence that it isn't harmful. See what I'm saying?

It could easily still carry around plenty of toxins from the original cigarette but it could just as easily be so dispersed through the air as to be no worse than regular air contaminants.

We just don't know.

Yes without question.
    you have no idea of the suffering that shit put me through.

My life would be so much better without all the suffering it caused me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    Yes without question.
    you have no idea of the suffering that shit put me through.

My life would be so much better without all the suffering it caused me.
    Please do tell us all about your suffering and how smoking ruined your life

I think telling other people how to parent should be a felony. And no, I'm not a smoker.

I think its irresponsible. I don't believe its abuse. Unless you're prepared to concede that feeding a child KFC or McDonald's is abuse too. Giving a child a can of soda? How about sitting a child in front of a television for long hours?

You're probably doing more harm to a child by giving him/her a chocolate bar, or an ice cream.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say abuse, but it should be known that you shouldn't do that around your kid at this point.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Second-hand smoking is pretty nasty to the lungs. I'm not sure about abuse. I'd file it somewhere in the realm of the woman trying to feed her baby ground up hamburgers, and the family refusing their child medication in favor of prayer. Parental negligence.

Can a woman be charged with anything for drinking and smoking during pregnancy? Somewhat related, and I'm curious.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-05-09 at 05:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    I don't think abuse is the right term. Bad parenting sounds much better. And yeah, as Powerogue said, second-hand smoking is even more dangerous than smoking the actual ciggar.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like how people always dodge the question because they feel uncomfortable or insecure about it. They always interject with something that seems related at first glance but belongs in an entirely different discussion.
    Q:"Should smoking around kids be considered abuse?"
    A:"Should shoving McDonald's be considered abuse HUH!? >:["

Q:"Is smoking weed bad for your lungs?"
    A:"Yea well is alcohol bad for you!?"

etc. (Just examples by the way don't read too much into it)
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.