Deleted
    I have begun with rome II this weekend again (with the 75% sale it was a nice time to get some of the dlc's I missed). I must say that it's a lot more enjoyable to play Rome II then it was before.

Now I can atleast get a few more hours for my money's worth.

Deleted
    Anyone else taken the plunge and bought Atilla?

After playing it for a few hours, this is what Rome should have been. The AI in battles is far and away better than it is even now 16 patches later in Rome 2, the family tree has returned (and taken a few tips from CK2 it seems), the new horde/migration mechanic is amazing (one of the best new features in any Total War game). Still has some problems to work out, the performance can be pretty dire sometimes, I was able to run Rome 2 on Ultra in everything but the biggest battles (10,000+ on each side) but have to run this in Performance mode. The amount of factions is pitiful, I assume this will be fixed with DLC but I was expecting a bigger selection from the off, pretty disappointing that you can't play as the Suebians or the Picts.

Still, it's renewed my faith in CA somewhat, now we just have to hope that they can get Total Warhammer right first time round, instead of having to wait for the Napoleon/Fall of the Samurai/Atilla standalone to have the game we were expecting.

speak of total war, any new yet on teh supposed total war warhammer game yet?

Deleted
    Atilla Total War is what Rome 2 should have been. The game is very good and has a lot of potencial for the modding community, I think this game will go places.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish4ever View Post
    Atilla Total War is what Rome 2 should have been. The game is very good and has a lot of potencial for the modding community, I think this game will go places.
    Are the battles still a rubberbanding, kill move spamming mess?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Are the battles still a rubberbanding, kill move spamming mess?
    If anything, the lack of kill moves is annoying, they just stand there poking at each other now. Historically accurate it may be, but its quite boring.

Chelly
    What about collision detection? Do the units have that or do they just go through each other? (like they did when Rome 2 launched)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    What about collision detection? Do the units have that or do they just go through each other? (like they did when Rome 2 launched)
    Seems to be much better than Rome 2 when it launched, about on par with what Rome 2 is now, they seem to have fitted some more physics tech in there though, shock cavalry sends units flying now.

Yeah i bought it, got a sweet deal for a steam key and im preparing to play as we speak, going for The Geats first time Sweden ftw rome after maby saxons to.

Got burned on Rome 2 at launch. I'm planning on waiting until it's in a price range that's similar to what I should have bought Rome 2 for.

Deleted
    Yeah for those doubting about Attila. I was sceptical at first but got it for a nice 45% discount on launch day. But I got to say this is the best release of a total war game ever, haven't encountered any gamebreaking bugs as of yet. The only issue I have is bad optimization of the starting video's and one freeze at some point, but I can get over those things as optimization will get better.

Outside of that it looks like they removed pretty much all the casualisation from Rome II and replaced it with more difficult core systems that resemble Crusader kings II alot. So far I like this game (played it for 8 hours today) and I think this is definitely a major improvement of Rome II, this game should've been Rome II.

Also, the game is quite difficult now.. it's a huge struggle to survive as pretty much anything and apperently one of the main goals to win the game is surviving uptill 425-450.

One minor quip : Unit rosters are shit like always, why can't every faction have like double the units they currently do? It makes hte game much more diverse and interesting..

Atleast they doubled/trippled the amouth of historical battles (there are like 2-3x as many compared to Rome II with all dlc's at this point)

Also what I like less is that CA went paradox style. While rome II had all it's information easily accessible Attila has tabs, tabs in tabs and more tabs that are hidden at first. Information is all over the place and not always as easy to understand.. but on the other hand, the amouth of information you actually need to survive has tenfolded.
    Last edited by mmoc91d120d86f; 2015-02-17 at 11:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rome 2 burned so I'm going to wait a while. Even though I'm an ERE fan.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Anyone else taken the plunge and bought Atilla?

After playing it for a few hours, this is what Rome should have been. The AI in battles is far and away better than it is even now 16 patches later in Rome 2, the family tree has returned (and taken a few tips from CK2 it seems), the new horde/migration mechanic is amazing (one of the best new features in any Total War game). Still has some problems to work out, the performance can be pretty dire sometimes, I was able to run Rome 2 on Ultra in everything but the biggest battles (10,000+ on each side) but have to run this in Performance mode. The amount of factions is pitiful, I assume this will be fixed with DLC but I was expecting a bigger selection from the off, pretty disappointing that you can't play as the Suebians or the Picts.

Still, it's renewed my faith in CA somewhat, now we just have to hope that they can get Total Warhammer right first time round, instead of having to wait for the Napoleon/Fall of the Samurai/Atilla standalone to have the game we were expecting.
    uhm the horde/migration mechanic was in barbarian invasion....it is NOT NEW.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    uhm the horde/migration mechanic was in barbarian invasion....it is NOT NEW.
    My apologies, it's new to me, I skipped the original Rome, finding Medieval 1 and 2 far superior, but different strokes for different folks. I supose thats why I got on with Rome 2 so much, I wasn't constantly comparing it to another game.

Looks like we won't be able to play Atilla on Extreme Quality graphics for a while, because its been designed with next gen graphics cards in mind, no wonder mine tried to blow up when I put it on Maximum Quality. I find myself wishing they'd give us the option to play the old Grand Campaign on this new engine though, i'm not a huge fan of playing already established Empires, and one of the main reasons i've played Rome 2 as much as I have is that I love Empire building, having one already built for you (even if it is fucked up, ala Western Roman Empire) doesn't really do it for me, didn't like it in Imperator Augustus, don't like it now.

Long time Total War fan here. Lots of positive reviews about Attila both with gaming media and in the forums. I think it's a safe buy for me.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Long time Total War fan here. Lots of positive reviews about Attila both with gaming media and in the forums. I think it's a safe buy for me.
    To be fair, Rome 2 had a lot of positive reviews as well. :/

7+ Year Old Account
    I can still remember how I LOVED the original rome but somehow I can't get along with the second part. I think the Total War series got too "fancy" and is not strategic enough anymore. I mean all the strategic gameplay elements are still there but the whole thing plays more like a facebook game compared to say Hearts of Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan842 View Post
    I can still remember how I LOVED the original rome but somehow I can't get along with the second part. I think the Total War series got too "fancy" and is not strategic enough anymore. I mean all the strategic gameplay elements are still there but the whole thing plays more like a facebook game compared to say Hearts of Iron.
    Maybe you just developed as a player. It really is Rome 1 or Medieval that feels like a FB game compared to Rome 2 or Shogun 2. The series actually got a lot more complicated over time, but also received a lot of QoL changes, so they just play smoother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Chelly
    Bought Attila and I'm enjoying it so far. It has some performance issues, I miss the lack of blood, and I've noticed the armies route quite easily - but at least it's fucking playable.

Still not a huge fan of the army-general thing they did with Rome 2 and Attila, but whatever.

Would Attila be a good entry point in the series?