Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Jearle... Your pally tank gear is fine. Problems i saw in your longest attempt. He got 180 holy power during the whole fight but he only spent 90 holy power. He has 65% uptime on Sacred shield which is low. and 30% on sotr which is low also. I dont go with clemency for this fight usually go with US. Tell him to pay attention with the dot debuff dmg if he gets too many stacks he can ds and reset the stacks.
    Dbm and big wigs have a timer for talon rake so it shouldnt be a problem to have a sotr up when that happens.
    On your best attempt 7.32 min. he took 7million dmg more then me in one kill from my guild (9min fight)
    If he has tier legs that can help a bit with defensive cds reducing ad by 60 sec.

Just a coment also he has mining as a profession =/

Quote Originally Posted by ronaro View Post
    Jearle... Your pally tank gear is fine. Problems i saw in your longest attempt. He got 180 holy power during the whole fight but he only spent 90 holy power. He has 65% uptime on Sacred shield which is low. and 30% on sotr which is low also. I dont go with clemency for this fight usually go with US. Tell him to pay attention with the dot debuff dmg if he gets too many stacks he can ds and reset the stacks.
    Dbm and big wigs have a timer for talon rake so it shouldnt be a problem to have a sotr up when that happens.
    On your best attempt 7.32 min. he took 7million dmg more then me in one kill from my guild (9min fight)
    If he has tier legs that can help a bit with defensive cds reducing ad by 60 sec.

Just a coment also he has mining as a profession =/
    Thanks for the feedback ronaro, this was one of my concerns that he wasnt using finishers enough. only using half of holy power basically means he is capping and not using SoTR or WoG and wasting HP?

yeah just wasting holy power. He might be to worried about saving a sotr for talon rake but dbmand big wigs gives you the time for the talon rake cd. Just tell him to check how long takes him to get 3 holy power... with his gear probably will be around 5-6 sec max. So he should save holy power 5-6 secs prior to a talon rake.

Weakened Blows 49 423.9 92.3 % # <---This fell off the boss twice during your longest attempt, with 2 tanks and a 30 second debuff on the target theres no excuse for that 10% less damage from a boss who does mostly physical. 92.3% is good...but it should be closer to 98-100%

I wrote a long winded post but then got logged out so I'll try to summarize...I've tanked this on my paladin now a 506 ilvl several times, and on even worse a 499 Blood DK (which was rough at some points)

Your tanks should have a good feeling as to when the boss ACTUALLY uses Talon rake...i.e. when I'm tanking and this quills goes off the boss uses Talon Rake immediately after. Feel the Rhythm, why? because it helps with Active Mitigation. The boss has a cast time for Talon Rake...SotR is not on GCD...no excuse for it to not be up. Think Ionization on Jin'rokh, that also has a similar cast, predictable and quick, but no excuse for failure.

As Ronaro said, SotR uptime needs to be significantly higher, aim for double what you have if not more 60%+...SotR is ~42% physical damage reduction for 3 seconds every time its used...on bosses where Physical Damage reigns supreme...that really matters. You should be able to rotate DP/AD/GotAK while you're tanking Ji-Kun...but bare minimum that SotR is up for Talon Rake and sometime during Quills. Don't 'hope' that it will be up, make sure its up.

Sacred Shield's absorb is based off of your Attack Power (most notably from Vengeance) and its frequency of absorb is based off of your haste...it also....snapshots your stats when you apply it. If your paladin is tanking first and not refreshing SS a few seconds after he's pulled the boss, he's already taking more damage than he needs to. Let's say before you pull the boss your paladin puts SS on himself, he's absorbing ~15-20k damage every 3-4 seconds. He pulls the boss and a few seconds in he has 50-100k vengeance...if he reapplies SS he'll be absorbing 60k+ damage every 3-4 seconds thats a lot of damage over 30 seconds. If you ever spike high in vengeance, its always a good idea to consider reapplying sacred shield if you can.

On that same note, when your monk or offtank taunts the boss off of your paladin...you can put a high vengeance sacred shield on them and make them feel invincible.

Last but certainly not least, your paladin is using Hand of Purity, thats a 30 second CD...he used it 4 times on your longest attempt. In a perfect world he may have used it up to 15 times, its a huge damage reduction for periodic effects, which infected wounds is.

On the Holy Power issue...if he's saving Holy Power specifically for Talon Rake and just not using it once he's at 5, he should start. Capping Holy Power on a Prot Paladin is a DPS/Survivability loss, just as much as capping Focus/Energy is for a Rogue/Hunter. If you have 5 Holy Power, throw in a SotR, during the 3 seconds of that SotR you'll be able to easily generate 1-2 additional Holy Power bringing you back to 3, so even if he casts say Talon Rake, you have a second SotR ready to fire. If the boss doesn't cast the ability you can continue building back to 5 and repeat.

Your paladin's gear is just fine for tanking, its better than my paladin. He should be kicking arse and tanking names.

Fantastic advice, thank you for the replies. This should help out alot going forward.

Paladin wasn't using SotR on most attempts before Talon Rake. The game's designed in such a way that it knows you'll be using timers: he needs to time his SotR better. DBM does it for him.