Deleted

Recount and skada for hunters

I've tried using both for some perspective on my dps... I'm not sure if this is a personal problem or a hunter thing, but on most raid fights skada measures my dps as much lower, differing by up to 10k from recount. Others' dps would be closer on both meters, with melee (pally and dk) going even higher on skada than recount.

One thing I noticed when my guild was progressing on Mageara, I used to pop deterrence on every rampage when healers were still figuring out their stuff there, and in that time my dps on skada would start dropping by insane amounts while recount held up the average. I assume this is because they measure inactive time differently? In any event the two meters seem to have different accuracy depending on the class in question (unless I am doing something really wrong there).

If anyone has some thoughts on this, which meter would be better for measuring my dps against other classes? Skada starts off with the advantage of showing pet dmg. None of them are really indicative of what wol will say.

PS is there a way to see my wol damage in game, during the fight?

They measure differently, I would recommend google'n skada vs recount if you wanna go in depth. There are various big posts about it on major 3rd party websites. Skada gives you a good idea of the damage but if you are extremely in need of accuracy then logs are the only way.

I switched to skada simply because it's lightweight and it has an integrated threat meter which allowed me to free up memory and interphase room by getting rid of omen threat meter.

Another thing when you are comparing meters to other classes compare yourself to other ranged/caster classes. Don't compare malee to ranged.
    Last edited by Shockymonkey; 2013-05-10 at 12:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockymonkey View Post
    Don't compare malee to ranged.
    dps-wise, why?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've found Recount to be much more similar to Worldoflogs reports.

10+ Year Old Account
    recounts dps is based on active time. so if you are casting a spell it start recording but if you stop casting spells the dps wont drop

skade calculates dps like this (same as worldoflogs) Total damage / total time(from combat start to combat ends or death)
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

A previous post I made on this subject:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20575483

Effective dps (e) is based on fight length, DPS is based on active time. There are other factors in there as even someone with 100% activity may not have them equal.

For example: Total Damage: 10,000,000 Fight Length: 5 minutes Activity: 96%
    DPS (e) = 10,000,000/300 = 33,333 DPS
    DPS = 10,000,000 / (300 * .96) = 34722.22

Basically if you did 200,000 DPS in a ten second period and stopped (or died) for the rest of a 5 min fight, your DPS would be very high, your effective DPS would be very low. Also, last I checked, Recount displays DPS (I haven't used recount in a long while), while Skada displays effective DPS.

Skada will continue recording during the 6 seconds your deterrence is up. Recount won't.

Our mage looks awesome on Recount when she's arcane, because if she stops AB spamming, Recount stops recording (this is less true now with Nether Tempest being the go to talent). She looks less awesome on Skada.

As for not comparing ranged to melee, I can think of a few reasons. On stationary fights, melee will have an almost automatic 100% uptime just from auto attacks (and unlike hunters, don't have a deterrence like mechanic that stops Recount). But on high movement fights, melee will have much lower uptime than ranged, and Recount will stop/start constantly.

I use Skada, btw, as reference, since I don't find the metric Recount offers to be useful. 9 times out of 10 I want to know my DPS(e).

Skada more resembles the effective dps, which is what worldoflogs uses for ranking. Recount is just a dps meter with no real adjustments. If you die during the fight using recount, your dps stays right where it was when you died. Skada takes into account that you were dead and adjusts your effective dps. I use Skada because it's lightweight and gives a more accurate accounting of your dps. But like someone else said, the only true dps measurement is logging it and reviewing it on WoL.
    Don't be elitist, it's a video game for crying out loud. Cure cancer, then you can be an asshole.

Effective DPS is far more valuable than DPS. It's basically same as e-peening with DPS instead of Damage done. Doesn't matter if you blow all shit on some Bats on Tortos and then die 5 sec later with 500k DPS if the rest of the raid did 5 times your damage at the end of the fight.

Does anyone even use DPS on their meters any more? My skada is permanently set to Damage Done.

Deleted
    Well I suppose then skada is more useful in terms of squeezing in dps everywhere you can and helping the group which is what I'm after obviously. I only wish we could do something with deterrence being 6 seconds of no dps output from the hunter... but I guess them pvpers would go mad with rage if we could though.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    My skada is permanently set to Damage Done.
    Same

Does anyone even use DPS on their meters any more? My skada is permanently set to Damage Done.
    Same here. I set it to "Damage Done" and dps rankings should line up the vast majority of the time.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 08:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by OswinOswald View Post
    Well I suppose then skada is more useful in terms of squeezing in dps everywhere you can and helping the group which is what I'm after obviously. I only wish we could do something with deterrence being 6 seconds of no dps output from the hunter... but I guess them pvpers would go mad with rage if we could though.
    You do zero dps if dead. :-)

I find that damage done is vastly more useful for performance over dps. The only time dps really matters is during burst phases, when actually doing high dps matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love skada but it was making my pc Jerky/Laggy sort of speak on fights where, we group or heavy spell effects. Especially with my opener where most of times your going to be using stampede , it would really start to hurt my fps nothing below 25 but I saw difference when turning it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stridur View Post
    I love skada but it was making my pc Jerky/Laggy sort of speak on fights where, we group or heavy spell effects. Especially with my opener where most of times your going to be using stampede , it would really start to hurt my fps nothing below 25 but I saw difference when turning it off.
    Building on this: On fights like Lei Shen we've had people either disable Recount or switch to Skada for the encounter as Skada only works off data collected by your character whereas Recount will try and coordinate data from everyone running Recount, which can cause huge performance issues.

Well damage done shows DPS right next to it no? For me, DPS (from Skada) is a great tool, it allows me to see during which phase or event my dps drops, when it goes up. If my dps keeps slowing down or it increases. It's a great tool to measure your performance during the fight, not so much at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Building on this: On fights like Lei Shen we've had people either disable Recount or switch to Skada for the encounter as Skada only works off data collected by your character whereas Recount will try and coordinate data from everyone running Recount, which can cause huge performance issues.
    Haven't touched to Recount in a while, but I think there's an option to allow or not that data collection. Which would basicly remove the performance issues in some fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    Haven't touched to Recount in a while, but I think there's an option to allow or not that data collection. Which would basicly remove the performance issues in some fights.
    Recount has the option but I can't personally comment on how it effects performance for the fight as I've been using Skada since Cataclysm.

Just use WoL live report, upload it after every wipe and you will see whats going on.