Poll: Legacy Realms

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Everquest tried this with classic servers. They are popular for a month or two then everyone goes back to playing their Mains and you get the usual "QQ my server is dead" You cant recreate the feelings you had when trying a new game for the first time.

Well, if what Blizzard says is true, that like 1% of players ever saw most of the raids in say BC, then a bunch of people could play BC for a long time and it be new and fresh. Same story with any other older version that had hard, mostly inaccessible content.

I am perfectly fine with a legacy realm, but a lot would have to be considered for them, which I won't get it into as someone probably brought them up at some point.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    If Jack Smith, the guy who lives in a barn at the edge of town is able to run a Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK server at a minimal cost and make a profit out of it then so can Blizzard. If the folks at Blizzard can't work out how to efficiently run a couple of servers at a low cost, then maybe they should hire Jack Smith to tell them how.

One word: Arena.

The 2007 TBC server I mentioned which is still running strong with a large community is doing so owing to a large part to Arena. TBC Arena was the best PvP seasons for WoW as the Devs had achieved the most balanced PvP ever.

You can't imagine how many people log in every day just to PvP, i.e, do Arena some BG's and then world PvP. TBC WoW is a huge battlezone. If people aren't bored of TBC 6 years after it went gold on a private server with all its drawbacks and nuissances, chances are that they won't either on a BLizzard server, which would be far better than a private server.
    Heck no arena games had no timers and could go on forever, every spec had a random chance to stun. Certain specs had a random chance to resist crowded control as well. BM hunters having full immunity to cc and going retard mode as well as all the blanket rng stuns. TBC wasn't perfect. Pve gear and weapons were still abused, it would be a huge step backwards. How many people play on that server is the turning point is it 9k or 100k.
    Last edited by worsthitmanNa; 2013-05-18 at 07:35 AM.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Deleted
    Yeah would be so funny with a vanilla realm where 90% of the players would roll rogue or mage, the only decent classes.

Is this with Current Talents or Talents/Class (ie No Pallys for Horde in Vanilla) .. Hunters have Ammo and mana of the past?

Because I miss specing into Wands on my Disc Priest. (not)

Deleted
    Doing this would almost be the same as Blizzard admitting that past expansions were better. While that's up for debate, it doesn't strike me as something blizzard would put out there, they want people to move forward and they want people to enjoy latest content even more. While this doesn't happen all the time, it doesn't mean they won't carry on pushing that agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    I currently play on a vanilla server, and I can honestly say that it is much more enjoyable than WoW was when I left it at the end of Cataclysm. Flaws and all, Vanilla has a charm the current game just doesn't possess.
    Same here, I've played on Classic private server and the game IS infact more enjoyable for me too.

If Legacy servers have their own progression like it happens in a certain private realms or in other old MMOs then it would be great. However, I don't think it's necessary for Blizz to do that. People that want to play vanilla...can play vanilla already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better yet just implement a mentor system similar to other games. If someone wants to know what it is like to go raid a previous xpac's content they can roll their level back and find like minded people that are willing to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarisEU View Post
    Would love a Vanilla legacy realm so people could see how bad it was.
    This. Maybe Blizz should do it, let people play for a month, then hopefully people will get over it after seeing how bad it is.
    Last edited by cheero; 2013-05-18 at 08:18 AM.

I might Try them but I wouldn't switch and play on them exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    Not enough people would support it for long enough that it would be financially viable.
    I don't understand how it wouldn't be. We currently have a ton of low to medium population servers that they're already paying for. They could merge those servers into actual functioning servers instead of the crap they currently are, then use those servers as Legacy Servers. They wouldn't have to pay a development team on them because the content already exists. At the most, they'd have some weekly maintenance, that's it.

There's absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain. It's a completely financially viable tactic because everything is in place already for it. The cost is minimal for the potential gain. People returning, people that never got to do that content, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    I don't understand how it wouldn't be. We currently have a ton of low to medium population servers that they're already paying for. They could merge those servers into actual functioning servers instead of the crap they currently are, then use those servers as Legacy Servers. They wouldn't have to pay a development team on them because the content already exists. At the most, they'd have some weekly maintenance, that's it.

There's absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain. It's a completely financially viable tactic because everything is in place already for it. The cost is minimal for the potential gain. People returning, people that never got to do that content, etc.
    Actually, they've stated pretty explicitly that they don't have the system handy to simply "roll back" the game to Vanilla. That code may be lying around somewhere, but the only place it truly is is buried under all the code added and changed since then.

You really shouldn't assume it's so easy.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Doing this would almost be the same as Blizzard admitting that past expansions were better. While that's up for debate, it doesn't strike me as something blizzard would put out there, they want people to move forward and they want people to enjoy latest content even more. While this doesn't happen all the time, it doesn't mean they won't carry on pushing that agenda.
    Though Blizzard have said the same thing essentially, couldn't they just agree that some people preferred the game as it was? Its not like releasing legacy realms would cause the normal game to implode or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have no interest in legacy realms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    If you look at the poll numbers , it shows that just about half the people want to be able to have the choice of going to a legacy realm. That would change over. That is pretty substantial, I would love to see Blizzard give people the choice, there are many who want it.
    Except <40% is way less than half. And that is if you count current subscribers as well.

If anything, they should give people patch 1.0 for a few months, see how the sub numbers drop even more.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdLady68 View Post
    Is this with Current Talents or Talents/Class (ie No Pallys for Horde in Vanilla) .. Hunters have Ammo and mana of the past?

Because I miss specing into Wands on my Disc Priest. (not)
    Probably just the latest patch in say vanilla, and everything would be as it was then. Talents, only ground mounts, shitty itemized gear etc etc

As much as I loved Vanilla WoW, there's no way I would want to return to it.... The game improved massively over the years and with each expansion... compared to WoW now; Vanilla is just empty and unbalanced classes without much improvement; as there will be absolutely no new content nor patches. Heck and all the talents I would miss.... Heck I think I would miss LvB the most or perhaps Ascendence....

Vanilla was great for it's time; but all the nostalgia is just unjust and mostly the nostalgia comes from people who have never played Vanilla WoW... it was great for it's time, but now it would just be dull... extremely dull.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Except <40% is way less than half. And that is if you count current subscribers as well.

If anything, they should give people patch 1.0 for a few months, see how the sub numbers drop even more.
    Actually, and like I said before, the number of players who would play Legacy servers is much higher than this, as MMO CHAMP is a WoW:MoP (not a Warcraft III or a WoW Vanilla) fan site. The people genuinely interested in voting for Legacy servers won't even see this poll as they are playing on private Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK servers as we speak.

Blizzard is sure to start legacy servers but for this to happen the subs must fall below 5 million, which will happen in the next couple of years (maybe earlier). It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when".

IMO, Blizzard Vanilla servers will start at patch 1.5.0 of 12th July, 2005, when battlegrounds were introduced. I am sure Blizzard agree.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played since a few months into Cataclysm where I thought the game lost its momentum. But I would probably come back if a server based on the Original game was implemented. I would for a Burning Crusade-based realm as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subscribed and wouldn't play any of them. They'd ruin my memories.