10+ Year Old Account

Converting to air CPU question

Ok I've decided to get rid of the water cooling loop.
    I've decided on:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608024

But will there be enough clearance for my RAM?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226382

My MOBO is:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131802

All RAM slots are filled.
    Not to mention I have 2 GPU SLI so the PCI slots are filled and as you can see from the MOBO picture on Newegg the top slot comes very close to the RAM, eye balling half an inch.

Side question, from the reviews and research I found on this cooler I should be able to keep my 4.7GHz OC.
    Is this correct from what I've read about it?

I'm also open to other coolers as long as I could keep my OC or very close to it.
    I'd hate to but willing to drop it a bit if temps are too high.

If anyone is wondering why I'm dropping the water.
    I love it looks great very quiet, but I'm hurting on bills and at used price I should be able to pay em off.
    Sucks when you have a bad back and can't get work.
    Last edited by FearXI; 2013-05-10 at 11:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Noctua is known for being very compatible with high rise ram, and even those aren't as tall as some I've seen, so you should be okay.

And yes, you'll be able to do 4.7 no problem.

Out of curiosity, how does the water cooling affect bills, exactly? Are you going to sell the water setup, and buy the cooler?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently selling a spare brand new pump on Amazon to pay for the cooler then sell off the water cooling loop.
    The water cooling doesn't really affect the bills since it don't use that much power.
    The pump is really the only thing that needs it, well fans but they'd be there anyway.

And yes once I buy and install the cooler I'll be taking the water cooling apart and selling it off.
    Heh, I just had it apart for a spring cleaning so at least it'll be ready to ship and for someone to install.

If you're thinking your gonna see a change in your electric bill... you're not.

10+ Year Old Account
    He wants to sell his liquid cooling off for money to pay bills not save on power.

Deleted
    Here are the NH-D14 measurements. - If your RAM is lower than 44mm, you should be fine. (Fan can be moved up a bit if needed for clearance)

Secondly, if it fits under your GPU's now, it should also fit under there in the new setup, right?
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-05-11 at 08:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ItRedd, I was going to reply to your 'people complaining about it' but you edited it :P

The only reason I said that was because whenever I recommend an EVO 212 and Low Profile ram, the first response is "Why don't you just get a Noctua and not worry about height?"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    ItRedd, I was going to reply to your 'people complaining about it' but you edited it :P

The only reason I said that was because whenever I recommend an EVO 212 and Low Profile ram, the first response is "Why don't you just get a Noctua and not worry about height?"
    I did indeed. I kept adding stuff and by the end, my post was one big contradicting mess. In any case, 44mm is quite a lot of clearance indeed. My dark rock gives me 45mm, and I can actually add/remove my LP ram without even taking the heatsink off. Still, there's a few posts online from people having removed a RAM heatsink or two to make it work.

Offtopic: If you suggest an EVO and LP ram, going for the noctua + normal RAM is at least 50 bucks more expensive. Unless going for an OC like the OP in this post, the EVO would be solid advice. In other words, the people that say "get a noctua and dont worry" aren't being efficient.
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-05-11 at 08:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

I never understood this, why does anyone recommend low profile ram for the evo 212 anyway? The ONLY time high rise ram is an issue for the Evo 212 is when you're using all 4 module slots. Which is....only needed for 32gb of ram. 16gb of ram can be done with 2 modules in slots 2 and 4. Which fit fine with a evo 212. Just don't put them in slots 1 and 3 and you won't have an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    Offtopic: If you suggest an EVO and LP ram, going for the noctua + normal RAM is at least 50 bucks more expensive. Unless going for an OC like the OP in this post, the EVO would be solid advice.
    Honestly, I never recommend a noctua. The $50 more over the EVO for a few degrees... The only time that might be worth it, is on a $1400+ build where you're simply -looking- for things to spend money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    I never understood this, why does anyone recommend low profile ram for the evo 212 anyway? The ONLY time high rise ram is an issue for the Evo 212 is when you're using all 4 module slots.
    I have this ram and with only two sticks, it comes less than 2mm away from the fan. I imagine there are motherboards out there where the ram might be placed 1mm closer, and pretty much run into it. This also prevents me from upgrading to 16gb of ram. Not that I even need to, but I can't.

Low Profile is usually recommended because A) It's a safe bet no matter what, and B) It's usually the same price, if not maybe like $2-3 more. I think that's worth piece of mind. Besides, you never know. Maybe a fantastic cooler comes out next year that's super cheap and great to recommend... except low clearance.

Deleted
    Point being, RAM heatsinks have far outlived their actual use. Unless you're OC'ing your RAM, you really, really, really don't need heatsinks on it. Aesthetics only. I see no reason to recommend anything but LP RAM, like Chazus mentioned.

We're steering a bit offtopic however, since the OP already has that specific RAM. If it's under 44mm, you'll be fine, OP. It'll also allow you to keep the same OC. Alternatively, if you don't like the color scheme, you can opt for the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    Point being, RAM heatsinks have far outlived their actual use. Unless you're OC'ing your RAM, you really, really, really don't need heatsinks on it. Aesthetics only. I see no reason to recommend anything but LP RAM, like Chazus mentioned
    There was never need for RAM heatsinks as long as you dont overclock the memory.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The NH- D14 is a fantastic cooler and Noctua is great company to buy from. Here is a list of RAM compatibility http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=c...s_id=34&lng=en

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all for the advice.
    My RAM is 40mm so I should be fine space wise then.

The fans on this thing.
    Could I easily replace them with my Gentle Typhoons?
    I really can't stand the color of the Noctua's.
    Maybe I could paint them. Any tips on a paint that would work well for covering the hideous fan color?
    Just the fan shroud I'd need to paint.

Probably should just paint since Neweggs details show the Noctua's db will be nearly 10 db lower then I could expect with the Gentle Typhoons.
    Last edited by FearXI; 2013-05-11 at 02:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So no one's ever painted a fan?
    I'm not sure what's good on it.
    I'm not much of a painter lol.

EDIT
    Never mind I found a good guide on another fourm.
    Last edited by FearXI; 2013-05-13 at 03:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just about to say don't paint them but instead dye them. Changing the fans would half defeat the purpose of the noctua, their fans are incredible even if their look isn't for everyone.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, how the hell do you "dye" a fan?
    O.o