Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Deathwing, who had the title 'destroyer of worlds', isn't it kind of ironic he had that title.. and yet had didn't actually destroy any worlds? I mean he made some earthquakes appear over azeroth, but.. thats about it. He hasn't destroyed any worlds, and all he did in the end was shake some shit up.
    Deathwing worst main villian ?
    lol xD. Death wing got overpowered and didn't get any justice. Blizzard ruined him.

As far as im concerned death wing is THE villain, You needed the power of 4 "great" aspects, Thrall. and BARELY we (the faceless heroes) defeated him in his weakest conditions. (we actually needed more than just thrall and aspects but i will specify the "final fight")

2 stupid elves gone power loco one wielding green swords an the other is supposed to be "King of Blood Elves" aint a comparison to death wing.

and by stating that he just "caused some earthquakes", obviously you haven't:
    Watched the trailer and seen what he can do to places by just flying over them.
    Did the Hour of Twilight instance blindfolded without looking around.
    Last edited by Gamez; 2013-05-12 at 05:21 PM.

Deathwing was a boring villain. Too cliche "rah rah I hate everyone and want to destroy the world" crap. Illidan and Arthas at least had interesting backstories and character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Ok, well leveling an alt, and thinking about more interesting concepts then the same repeated quest I've done countless times before, I began to think of warcraft baddies, such as in comparison to other gaming genres and there baddies, and something that began to grate when thinking about it, is how much of a failer deathwing was in the end.

Deathwing, who had the title 'destroyer of worlds', isn't it kind of ironic he had that title.. and yet had didn't actually destroy any worlds? I mean he made some earthquakes appear over azeroth, but.. thats about it. He hasn't destroyed any worlds, and all he did in the end was shake some shit up.

Arthas, the lord of undeath, actually did slaughter countless people and raised them into undead, damming there souls.
    Kil'jaeden actually did corrupt an entire race, as well as joined the legion in consuming countless worlds across the universe. And he actually did deceive races, known as the deceiver.
    Even Illidan, the betrayer, did infact betray people and so stands to reason his title.

Yet deathwing? I can honestly say theres never been a more disappointing turn of events then with his character. In the novels he was a charismatic, intelligent and deceiving villain. He spread discord around the human kingdoms, and enjoyed it. Yet he got reduced to a world destroying nothing with no characters or personality, and he can't even make claim to his title, since he never actually destroyed any worlds
    I agree. His character was butchered in Cataclysm. They took this scheming, brilliant dragon and put him into a role ANY dragon could have had: fly around, burn stuff, and talk about the end of the world. Gone is his charisma, the brilliance of his machinations. Sure, you can handwave this by saying that the old goes, most likely N'zoth in particular, have driven him mad. But making him a pawn of the old gods, however powerful, was disapointing.

Blizz used an analogy leading up to cataclysm. Saying that his relationship to the olds gods would be listed as 'it's complicated' rather than 'single' or 'married.' But he's just plain married. It would have been 1000% more interesting if he'd been working on his own plans, but with N'zoth's presence in the background, trying to manipulate him. One of DW's epic moments was in the War of the Ancients, where he actually defied the will of the old gods and tried to reclaim the Dragon Soul against their wises, and inadvertently saved the world.

In Cata, he yells at us about being the destroyer of worlds yadda yadda I'm a big dragon, but doesn't really have any plans. He torces part of SW but leaves the rest intact because...he's crazy? Like the Lich King, we have a villain that could have won at any time if he'd set his mind to it. But unlike the LK who had some small part of Arthas holding that back, or just wanted to to turn Azeroth's greatest champions to be the vanguard of the world's demise depending on your interpretation, Deathwing is given no reason why he doesn't just torch all the major cities except 'he's crazy.'

Trask, I think your disappointment in Deathwing stems solely from the fact he was introduced in the same expansion in which Garrosh Hellscream was appointed Warchief. No need to come up with some elaborate cover story.
    Last edited by Mikey P; 2013-05-12 at 05:27 PM. Reason: to clarify who I was aiming my joke at.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Deathwing was a boring villain. Too cliche "rah rah I hate everyone and want to destroy the world" crap. Illidan and Arthas at least had interesting backstories and character development.
    Yeah. KT and Illidan might have gone from morally gray anti heroes to outright villains off screen, but at least they still had personality in their appearances. Deathwing? You could have plugged any black dragon into his role in Cataclysm.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 12:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey P View Post
    I think your disappointment in Deathwing stems solely from the fact he was introduced in the same expansion in which Garrosh Hellscream was appointed Warchief. No need to come up with some elaborate cover story.
    Or maybe it's because they completely botched the character that was developed into the books and made him into a boring, mindless pawn of the old gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Or maybe it's because they completely botched the character that was developed into the books and made him into a boring, mindless pawn of the old gods.
    Wasn't referring to you dear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Destroying Theramore (and in doing so the neutral leader of an allied faction), attempting to kill Anduin and assassinate Vol'Jin, subjugating the Darkspear in Vol'Jin's absence, using the Forsaken purely as meat shields forcing them to conquer Gilneas at great loss, throwing away Sin'dorei forces because of a complete disrespect for their people and getting the Sunreavers thrown out of Dalaran in his pursuit of a magical artifact that will allow him to imbue Orcs with the power of an old god aren't good enough reasons for the Alliance and Horde to hate him?

What more does he need to do?
    Hey, but he doesn't say "I'M BAD, ME SMASH". For a lot of people if someone isn't completely and utterly mad and corrupted is not a villain at all.
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2013-05-17 at 01:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalithic View Post
    Yeah, Deathwing is a pretty good villain compared to Garrosh. I have no idea what he's done, and it's a little too late at this point to just start throwing new stuff out to make us hate him.
    Really? Raid is in 5.4 so there is still time of to "throw new stuff" in to make you hate Garrosh (if you don't hate the fool already). Let's face, if Garrosh was already an unconscionable villain who needed taken out SoO would happening now. It's not as if it's a mystery where he is or hard to get too.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I quite enjoyed Deathwing's constant appearances, giving us something to look at and shake our fists at while questing/leveling and raiding. It was not as epic as when Arthas would make his appearances through Wrath but the two villains are on very different levels of epicosity.

That being said, Deathwing was poorly portrayed over all and his so called "plan" was poorly executed and almost laughable were it not for the damage he did to the world.
    I'm not entirely sure why he didn't just summon the final Cataclysm upon leaving Deepholm in the original announcement trailer. Surely that would have facerolled Azeroth far more than flying over it.

Of course, not much of his plans are discussed directly in the game and I've not read much about him in a while. If anyone can explain it: Did Deathwing have to wait before he could summon his Cataclysm? Or was it the classic "Make them suffer long enough to mount a rebellion before whooping my ass" kind of deal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    It would have been 1000% more interesting if he'd been working on his own plans, but with N'zoth's presence in the background, trying to manipulate him. One of DW's epic moments was in the War of the Ancients, where he actually defied the will of the old gods and tried to reclaim the Dragon Soul against their wises, and inadvertently saved the world.
    The irony is that by some lines seems he truly belive to follow some great path that will bring him some huge benefit, but was an hilarious certainty, because we all saw the bitter end he would have made if the Hour of Twilight would have been fully executed, probably serving himself as somekind of huge H bomb that destroyed the world and himself in the process, as the entire Madness of Deathwing fight suggested. And this gave the ultimate prove that he was completely manipulated by the Old Gods and tricked like a naive child.
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2013-05-14 at 04:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deathwing is one of my fav characters, loads of lore with the guy. It's a shame Cataclysm didn't use him properly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    I think he was a great villain poorly portrayed.
    Yeah I think Deathwing was a great character, plotting behind the scenes etc. but in the game he was just turned into a big fire breathing dragon with zero intellect, that was the disappointing part.

I think that Deathwing could've been a lot more interesting if he had more engagement with the players. Flying over a zone and burning everything was cool, but I only saw it happen once throughout the entire expansion. Maybe if it happened more often, like once every 30 minutes, it would've been a better experience. That combined with the fact that he happened to be the worst boss in the worst raid created to date left me with little enthusiasm for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deathwing is not a character, but a creature, which makes him much less frightening. We don't care about a dragon whose plans we don't know anything about - we care about a great villainous character, whose thoughts we can sort of identify with - Arthas/The Lich King is a perfect example of a great villain.

Deleted
    I think he was a great villain, just poorly portrayed. And the fact that Cataclysm was a pretty boring expansion other than the start makes him look even worse. But if you take it lorewise the other villains isn't that much better really.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    Deathwing is not a character, but a creature, which makes him much less frightening. We don't care about a dragon whose plans we don't know anything about - we care about a great villainous character, whose thoughts we can sort of identify with - Arthas/The Lich King is a perfect example of a great villain.
    Being a character has *nothing* to do with being an animal or a fantastic creature. It's got to with personality. Isn't Simba a character perhaps? And yet, a lion is a creature.

And no, the Lich King was a terrible villain.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

How can people not see why Garrosh is being killed? He's a genocidal maniac who rules his kingdom through intimidation and murder of his enemies. Blizzard basically looked at Hitler's Wikipedia page, said "okay, now what if he had a nuclear bomb?" and went from there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhoo View Post
    Maybe he was the worst villain in the series in Cata days. But now?

The worst main villain in the series is Garrosh Hellscream by far. It's been 3 patches and I still don't get why we are killing him (I know what he did, but it's not nearly as villain-like as previous villains). Blizzard didn't make him very likeable, but now they are also failing to make him hate-able, the 5.3 preview seems like Blizzard just want to slap some last-minute random reasons for why Alliance/Horde have to kill him.
    Completly agree, I don't like Garrosh but I still don't see any sense in him being the main villain of this expansion, also deathwing could have been a great villain but the way they made him in the game was indeed bad.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with DW was that lore made him out to be this OP unkillable murder machine and 10/25 random heroes wouldn't be able to go toe to toe without finding out first hand that they were crunchy and go well with ketchup.

So, another OP plot device (pew-pew lazer of doom, aka, Dragon Soul) had to be used, which is what really killed him. He was falling apart in the final battle, all the 10/25 random heroes really did was distract him from recasting Cataclysm to blow up the world, until they could run out the clock and he finished falling apart.

Hell, it wasn't even the players that got to shoot the pew pew lazer! Even that minor difference might have made it feel like it was us that killed him, and we weren't just Thrall's minions.

So yeah, the experience didn't live up to the potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Never read the books so I can't judge from there;

But in game?
    He was stupid.
    Reminded me of a saturday morning cartoon dragon.

"DOHOHO GON BURN ALL YA FIELDS"
    "IM EEEEEEEVIL"

Also Dragon Soul.
    That place needs to burn.
    I basically came to say this. He's like a cheesy saturday morning cartoon villain, for sure.

Though, if I'm fair, I could sort of say the same about Arthas, and I liked how they handled him. It's just that Blizzard has poor writers and is sort of creatively bankrupt as a company (not a recent thing, either, I'd say they've pretty much always relied on appropriating pop culture, and not much else):x