Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does my OS effect my gameplay?

I'm having issues with my game bogging down on 25 man fights. Many fights I drop to 5FPS or below at times I lock up altogether.

My current specs:

AMD Athlon 9600 Quad-Core Processor
    3.25 GB Memory
    Windows XP (32 Bit)
    Nvidia GForce 9600 Graphics card

I've been trying desperately for a few weeks to get this problem resolved. I don't think it is my Processor. Could my OS be the issue?

Thanks for any insight given

Deleted
    it is your cpu.....
    however that whole system is pretty old? (5 years ?)

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Check if you can use W7, on seven forums is a tool to check that out (not linking it, the last time I did i got a ban [???])

If you can't, use Windows Vista. People talk trash about it but it's not that bad if you get the latest copy, at least it's better than XP.

You'll gain a bit in performance.
    Then you can clean your PC, software and hardware wise.

The answer to your question is yes, your OS can effect your gameplay. I do not know if it is the cause of your problem, but I remember reading about Windows XP and it having memory leak issues when using 4+ GBs of RAM, might even be more than 2 GBs.

My comp is about 4 years old. The video card is the newest component. I agree that this might be part of my problem, but here's a post on the wow tech forums with someone with a much new computer than mine, and they are having the exact same problem.

Link - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8796549733

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucious View Post
    I'm having issues with my game bogging down on 25 man fights. Many fights I drop to 5FPS or below at times I lock up altogether.

My current specs:

AMD Athlon 9600 Quad-Core Processor
    3.25 GB Memory
    Windows XP (32 Bit)
    Nvidia GForce 9600 Graphics card

I've been trying desperately for a few weeks to get this problem resolved. I don't think it is my Processor. Could my OS be the issue?

Thanks for any insight given
    I've actually been having a similar problem suddenly, but I'm running Windows 7, have a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz CPU, Radeon HD 6850 and 8gigs of RAM. I'm still working on my issue but I've updated the drivers last night and haven't had a chance to test the situation out today.

No. XP is the fastest OS you can use with 4GB or less RAM.

Those four digit Phenoms from 2007 are known to underperform in WoW really badly. And graphics card from 2008 isnt helping either.

I agree that this might be part of my problem, but here's a post on the wow tech forums with someone with a much new computer than mine, and they are having the exact same problem.

Thoughts?
    Did your FPS drop suddenly last week or has it been constantly low since MoP launch?
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-05-12 at 02:57 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I dont know too much about AMD's line of processors over the years, so shroudster could be correct, but in general, its probably a little bit of everything. 25 people throwing magic at a giant puts some pressure on your hardware.

If a new setup isn't possible at the moment, my recommendation would be to give it a good dusting on the inside to keep the hardware as cool as possible, make sure nothing is running in the background of WoW and maybe disable as many addons as possible that are hogging up RAM. Also lowering every video setting to the lowest that you can put up with would help.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Did your FPS drop suddenly last week or has it been constantly low since MoP launch?
    As far as I remember it has been since MoP. As i mentioned though. The person in the WoW tech forums is a good bit newer than me. So I'm concerned that spending $ on hardware upgrades will not solve my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by damore1405 View Post
    If a new setup isn't possible at the moment, my recommendation would be to give it a good dusting on the inside to keep the hardware as cool as possible, make sure nothing is running in the background of WoW and maybe disable as many addons as possible that are hogging up RAM. Also lowering every video setting to the lowest that you can put up with would help.
    You and I thought the same thing. A few days ago I did just this, My heatsink was completely stuffed with dust. The computer is much much cleaner now and to be honest i picked up about 4FPS more than I had at times. I did disable addons but the same thing still happened. I went to msconfig and hit disable all, restarted the computer so that on the most necessary programs were running, and still the same thing happened. I'm really running out of ideas. I was going to just reinstall wow (since i haven't in the 4 years I had the computer) but who knows if that would even be worth the trouble.

Deleted
    My comp is about 4 years old. The video card is the newest component. I agree that this might be part of my problem, but here's a post on the wow tech forums with someone with a much new computer than mine, and they are having the exact same problem.

Thoughts?
    while the problem is the same the cause if different, that thread you linked was a case of overheating/thermal throttle on a cpu which will cause it to downclock itself untill it isn't too hot anymore. (aka having no performance left)
    you are running a rather old AMD cpu that isn't that strong in single core performance already due to it's design. (unless you are also having way too high temps)
    wow has had quite some significant upgrades to it's old engine and whilst it may not look as crispy on the graphic side of things compared to say crysis 3 it will give even high end systems a run for their money due to wow engine design.

Ok shroud. I appreciate the input. I'll look into building a better machine. I've always wanted to build my own gaming PC.

Thoughts on the cost associated with this venture?
    Last edited by Crucious; 2013-05-12 at 03:10 PM.

Deleted
    4 GB ram
    AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core
    ATI Radeon 4850
    Windows 7

Same problems as you. I gave up from 25 mans and went to 10 man. Although in Shrine my fps is constantly between 13- 21 fps. Bad but nothing can be done about it.

That's because when your CPU left the factory, people were progressing in Black Temple and Sunwell Plateau. Of course you're going to have crap performance when using hardware that is that old.

depending on what your looking for and what you want to keep, without a new monitor the parts will probably only run you around 1000$ or less depending on how good you are at deal shopping.

MMO-C puts builds up every month, look at the price ranges and see what you want to build, the posts list out all the parts you need for it too. I'd say barebones an intel i5 3570(or the sandy bridge) and a mid range GPU like the gtx 650/660 with 8 gigs of ram could last you another 4 years of more than 5 FPS.

Point taken Butler.

Damore. I'll have to check that out. The thought of building my own comp is quite intimidating. Hopefully I can manage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I strongly recomend you all check out this thread: Maximum Graphics Settings in WoW: A thread on how to tweak WoW to be as visually detailed as possible by Synthaxx. It might be written and aimed at people trying to get the maximum settings, but it also shows a number of ways you can improve performance. And more importantly it also gives lower bound values, not just upper bound values for settings, allowing you to manipulate your graphics much more effectively than the in-game sliders.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thought of building my own comp is quite intimidating. Hopefully I can manage
    We can certainly help. There is a system building sticky. The first thing to do is establish how much you want to spend. Someone here can pretty much tailor make your system to that budget... But expect that budget to be at -least- $600, at the very bargain-y-ness.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Chazus - I'm seeing that everyone here is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. As far as pricing I'll have to take a look and see what I want to accomplish. I'm not looking to skimp but I don't want to go broke either. Most likely fall in something around the $1000-1300 range. Thanks for the advice.

Thoughts?
    That guys problem is almost definitely a heating issue, either his fan stopped/broke or heat-sink loose etc.

Can't say what's exactly wrong with your computer, but it is very old which is definitely a contributing factor to it's general poor performance.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    Chazus - I'm seeing that everyone here is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. As far as pricing I'll have to take a look and see what I want to accomplish. I'm not looking to skimp but I don't want to go broke either. Most likely fall in something around the $1000-1300 range. Thanks for the advice.
    don't feel pushed to do so but it is well worth it
    for 1 grand you can have quite a solid rig to last you some time.