How is the damage calculated when casting a spell?

I was wondering how damage are calculated when casting projectiles. Is the damage from the projectile calculated at the moment cast, or is it callculated as it hits the target? Asking the question regarding trinket procs and Chaos Bolt.

Deleted
    as far as i know the moment it goes of just tried it with uvls and a chaos bolt if it goes off while the buff is active it hits with all the buffs u had when it went off

Whenever the cast finishes. The only exception to this is shadowflame, which is calculated when the dot starts. (for warlocks, anyways)

Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ronic/advanced
    Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/xyronic (Tues-Thurs 7:00 - 11:30 and 12:30 - 3:30 cst)

Quote Originally Posted by Xyronic View Post
    Whenever the cast finishes. The only exception to this is shadowflame, which is calculated when the dot starts. (for warlocks, anyways)
    To clarify, Shadowflame is calculated when HoG lands. That's why Meta weaving Shadowflame works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyronic View Post
    To further add to this, this means the travel time of the visual is of no consequence. It snapshots at the moment the cast ends and a spell leaves your hands. (except as mentioned with HoG & Shadowflame)

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    To further add to this, this means the travel time of the visual is of no consequence. It snapshots at the moment the cast ends and a spell leaves your hands. (except as mentioned with HoG & Shadowflame)
    Am I mistaken in thinking this also applies to Fel Flame? I.e. it will only re-snapshot dots when the fel flame hits the target and extends the duration of the dots, and not when it leaves your hand?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremory1 View Post
    Am I mistaken in thinking this also applies to Fel Flame? I.e. it will only re-snapshot dots when the fel flame hits the target and extends the duration of the dots, and not when it leaves your hand?
    Fel Flame damage is calculated when it leaves your hand, the extended dot power is calculated when Fel Flame hits the target.