Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Do what makes you happy.

"ya bro, my mom pierces little girls at DEB, thats why I can't hang out this weekend, we just dont have the money"

Is that what you want when them babies start popping out?

Deleted
    I say go for the dream, i had a great job right after school which i just had dumb luck to get as a biomed tech for 3 years before i pulled my ass back to the bench and started my civilengineering studies even thought the biomed job paied very well and i was climbing that ladder quickly. Still best choise iv made.

And really... fuck your parents if they dont support what you wanna do, its your life, your only chance to be happy with your life.
    Worst thing i know are people who try to decide what would make someone elses lives better or even worse - to make themself feel better.
    Last edited by mmoc30fc4496f6; 2013-05-13 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks mva, I was honestly thinking of attempting both. But youre absolutely right about the wear and tear. That's one of the bigger issues with it.
    Edit:Forgot to answer your question, I do enjoy pediatrics nursing which is why i begin deciding on the career in high school. I'd love to work in labor in delivery, I interned there for a few weeks and enjoyed it. It was just mostly my co-workers that were the issue. But I guess every path has that in it.
    Last edited by Zlily; 2013-05-13 at 03:57 PM.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

You're going to do what you want regardless of what anyone thinks. Just don't be mad at the "I told you so."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nursing is a hard enough job, if it you don't love it, you'll never stick with it regardless of the money.

It's not possible for you to continue with nursing school while you apprentice? That would really be the best route, since it's keeps your options open.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Zlily View Post
    Also to the money people again. Nurses make around 50k here. Piercing pays 40-50 at that shop. So :s it's almost even. Not sure why everyone is spamming moneymoneymoney for nursing
    Because nurses do much more and piercing does much less elsewhere.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of anything else, quitting college when it is being paid for you is almost certainly a terrible decision.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Thanks for the input. To the people saying go for nursing for money. I don't really want to do a job just for money :\
    Awwwwwwwwwww. So innocent.

Not to pick on or dismiss any other opinion, but when it comes to your future. Money>All.

Past 12 years I have worked my ass off, mostly in jobs I hated, disliked or mildly disliked. I worked as a teacher, bartender, topographic surveyor, and a few other things. I moved from job to job, place to place always looking to increase my margins.

So here I am today holding two jobs, a small buisness of my own and teaching. I dislike both of them. I pull of around 12 hours of work a day.

On the other hand, I am financially stable, I have some money saved and some invested here and there. In my off-time (those are mostly my Sunday afternoons) I am pitching in on a research project at a nearby university, revising data (research is the stuff I actually enjoy doing). And I have my Friday and Saturday nights reserved to blow off steam. Plus every year I manage to take about 2, 3 week holidays and I actually have the money to travel anywhere I want.

Other down side tho is that I havent had time to play WoW seriously since the end of Wotlk. I arena for the lulz for a few hours a week and thats about as far as I have time to take my gaming habit.

What I am trying to say, is that while it's not impossible for you to find something you love and make money out of it, you should never disregard the money factor. I have dozens of old friends who where unwilling to make the effort, and now they are always lamenting the lack of money to do this or that, they always complain about the financial instability etc.

Money cant buy happieness, but it can help to buy the things you actually need to be happy and carefree.

Pursue whatever your heart tells you to pursue. But once you made the choice, you must fight for it tooth and nail. You are very young, and while missing a short trip with your mates or missing out a party, or not having time for that guy might feel like a tragedy today, on the long run it wont.

Not when you are in Tijuana at a beach party, with a hot and cool person you meet a week before while learning to scuba dive in Costa Rica, five years from now.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has been at that crossroads and taken the wrong path, do what your gut tells you to do. Overthinking can be bad some times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    As someone who has been at that crossroads and taken the wrong path, do what your gut tells you to do. Overthinking can be bad some times.
    Underthinking can be far worse. Actually, it almost always is.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

You can achive happiness for your self or the two ppl that brought you to this world.
    Chances for you to find happiness as a nurse is unknown, but if you look for it am sure you will find it. Dont base your future from what happens to you right now in school.
    If or when you become a nurse, i am sure you can always fall back as a piercer later on in life with "nurse" on your cv.

I'm a big believer in following your dreams whatever you are. Most people live on this planet for less than 100 years so might as well spend most of it doing something you enjoy. You might want to try the divide and conquer method with your parents. Get each one alone and explain why you want to go the path you choose and find out why they are resistant to it. Depending on how old they are you mind want to remind them it's not to late to follow their own dreams (aka go back to school and learn a new profession).

Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also to the money people again. Nurses make around 50k here. Piercing pays 40-50 at that shop. So :s it's almost even. Not sure why everyone is spamming moneymoneymoney for nursing
    Regardless of what the particular money is at this time, nursing is a solid career path that will always have jobs available. That said, it's a pretty rough job and even people who love it burnt out; I can't imagine how long someone who is doing it because of outside pressures would manage.

Being a piercer is not a reliable income. Making 40-50k a year as a piercer is impressive -- the shop must be in a high traffic area. I have two friends who have been body piercers for 15+ years and I am pretty sure neither of them makes anything close to that despite having pretty high reputation and respect within their local communities. One of them works in multiple shops within the area in order to makes ends meet, but he is very often stressed and struggling. The other one owns his own shop. Both of them have been homeless at several points in time.

I'm not saying that to come down on being a piercer. If you love it, an apprenticeship from a piercer you respect is a great opportunity. If it is a paid one, you might not find such an opportunity again (I also don't know anyone who has done a paid apprenticeship!). But what I am saying is that you really have to love it and you have to be willing to accept that it isn't a moneymaking career.

I still think you should do whatever you can to stay in nursing school while you do your apprenticeship so you will ultimately end up with a degree, skills and experience to go whatever path you choose when it's time to choose it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

'been on mmo for years' joined 2 weeks ago :l

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Underthinking can be far worse. Actually, it almost always is.
    indeed, i wonder if you can get your stomach full from dreams. In the end, work is about money, this choice reminds me of all the college graduates that graduated with a useless degree, because they were told they were special and just pursued what they thought were interesting, and came out in the the job market with no job for a witchcraft major.

N, I've been 'lurking' MMO. As I just made this account to make this post.
    I meant I had just been reading this forums and using the website for years.
    A lot of my parents hatred towards the career is due to the lack of understanding. They see the industry as thugs and ex-cons, which just frankly isn't true. I know a lot of people on MMO agree with them in this is a stupid career. But we can't all agree or love the same things, now can we?
    It's just ironic, both my parents complain all the time about how they didn't follow their dreams to travel the world or work in a certain field and yet give me 0 support in everything except my nursing career. I don't want to become them is my problem. I love them to death but regrets as big as those aren't in my interest. I appreciate all the opinions and advice, I may end up just doing both as some of you say.

Nsrm, I said i had been lurking. I made the account just for this post. I've been using the website and reading the forums for years, but with no account.
    A lot of my parents hatred towards the career is due to the lack of understanding. They see the industry as thugs and ex-cons, which just frankly isn't true. I know a lot of people on MMO agree with them in this is a stupid career. But we can't all agree or love the same things, now can we?
    It's just ironic, both my parents complain all the time about how they didn't follow their dreams to travel the world or work in a certain field and yet give me 0 support in everything except my nursing career. I don't want to become them is my problem. I love them to death but regrets as big as those aren't in my interest. I appreciate all the opinions and advice, I may end up just doing both as some of you say.

Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    'been on mmo for years' joined 2 weeks ago :l
    In all fairness I lurked for an eternity before I actually signed up. It does happen.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

15+ Year Old Account
    Ugh. The mom in my head yells "nursing!" while my heart says "do what you want!". Ideally what you want is a profession that can stand up for the long haul AND be something you enjoy. You seem enterprising, and you're smart enough if school is being paid for by scholarships ... so can you try to do both as someone else suggested? Tell parlor guy that you really want to the job and see it an amazing opportunity, and that you would like to try to work something out that won't require you to drop out of school, and see what he comes up with.

If you can cut back on school enough to allow you work, yet keep you enrolled and slowly gaining credits, that would be the best thing. Then, if you're doing the piercings you want to do that should make you happy, and staying in school long enough to eek out your degree should make your parents happy PLUS honestly, having a degree in nursing can NOT hurt you as a piercer.

Talk to your BF. Talk to your potential boss. Move if you have to, or consider changing schools. Try to figure out a way to do both.