Deleted

Might try the game

Hey guys,

After having a long time of saying no to Sw:Tor because it didn't suit my style I am now slightly interested into trying it with the death of rift (atleast death in my opinion) who can tell me something about how f2p is? Is it any good? Is sw:Tor p2w? Might sw:tor become p2w? What are must knows for me?

10+ Year Old Account
    F2P in SWTOR is kinda painful, but you might not notice it much if you were never subscribed. If you want you can read Larry Everett's various articles on playing purely F2P as an experiment.

Deleted
    Swtor isn't p2w, the stuff you can buy is mostly cosmetic, but honestly if you don't mind paying a sub fee its better to just sub and get access to everything.

I liked it fine as a subscription game, but I was one of the people affected by the "latency bug" (which may or may not be an accurate description).

If I ever go back, I'd probably do subscription again.

Deleted
    SWTOR is not p2w, it may go that way in the future but may not, who knows. I can't see it being p2w any time soon.
    Don't rely peoples opinions, they are their own. If you have the time and the download allowance, download it and give it a try.
    You will get plenty of advice and help in game, sure there are some dicks (like all MMOs) but the help is there if you need it, or ask specific questions on here if/when required.
    Good luck.

Deleted
    a must know if your playing F2P is you cant get to max level of 55 without spending cash.

Deleted
    What can I buy in the cash shop exactly? Nothing too special?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    IMHO other than the xp boosts and the unlocks for the f2p/preferred players it's all crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    If you find random cosmetic items such as dresses and mounts special, then that is what you can get. If you don't care about that, then the Cartel Market is only great for experience boosts.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    a must know if your playing F2P is you cant get to max level of 55 without spending cash.
    Yes, totally possible with gear and credit restrictions and some other cosmetic/Quality of Life annoyances.

EDIT: You need to buy Makeb to get to 55, so it's not free at that point. But 1-50 is completely free and no charges need apply.
    Last edited by Pensz; 2013-05-14 at 09:43 PM.

first of all. you level slower you move slower and you don't have access to insta selfrez probes. as a wow player you won't miss any of that.
    leveling was way too fast in swtor to begin with. the game has enough content to back slower leveling.

so what do you get ? you get a wow clonish mmo (everything skills and gameplay will be familiar) with mass effect-ish storytelling. its singleplayer most of the time and its not as open world as the usual mmo (similar to rift zone1->zone2->zone3 tubish narrow world / unlike wow where you have several choices to be @level 20 as example)
    it'll be addictive and a blast during your first play through and you get that for free.

some class stories are very intelligent. you don't have much choice since everything leads to the same roughly the same ending but the dialogues are entertaining and sometimes very funny if you want to listen to them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dukem View Post
    so what do you get ?
    You also get light sabers

What about the endgame? Is it easy to find groups for dungeons, raids, etc?
    Is it challenging, rewarding?
    What are the standard dungeon and raid sizes?
    Flashpoints = Dungeons and Operations = Raids right?
    Signature in progress...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    What about the endgame? Is it easy to find groups for dungeons, raids, etc?
    What are the standard dungeon and raid sizes?
    Flashpoints = Dungeons and Operations = Raids right?
    It depends what you consider challenging. Do I consider current content challenging? No. Then again, I also didn't consider a couple bosses in H ToT25 challenging.

Flashpoints = Dungeons and Operations = Raids.

Operations are either 8man or 16man. Flashpoints are 4man. Finding groups isn't too difficult, either. Aside from the group finder for Story Mode (Normal) content, you will see groups forming during primetime for all sorts of operations. Whether it be old or new content- you can almost always find a group in general chat.

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    It depends on your level of skill.

In WoW, clear every heroic mode, top 200 or so guilds - SWTOR will probably be on the easy side.
    Clear normal, beat some heroic modes - SWTOR hard/nightmare is pretty nice
    Clear normal - SWTOR story/hard
    Clear some of normal - SWTOR story

Basically SWTOR is not as easy as WoW raiding on the low end, but also not as hard as WoW on the high end.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    It depends what you consider challenging. Do I consider current content challenging? No. Then again, I also didn't consider a couple bosses in H ToT25 challenging.

Flashpoints = Dungeons and Operations = Raids.

Operations are either 8man or 16man. Flashpoints are 4man. Finding groups isn't too difficult, either. Aside from the group finder for Story Mode (Normal) content, you will see groups forming during primetime for all sorts of operations. Whether it be old or new content- you can almost always find a group in general chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    It depends on your level of skill.

In WoW, clear every heroic mode, top 200 or so guilds - SWTOR will probably be on the easy side.
    Clear normal, beat some heroic modes - SWTOR hard/nightmare is pretty nice
    Clear normal - SWTOR story/hard
    Clear some of normal - SWTOR story

Basically SWTOR is not as easy as WoW raiding on the low end, but also not as hard as WoW on the high end.
    Good, good...

Thanks guys!
    Signature in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    SWTOR is not p2w, it may go that way in the future but may not, who knows. I can't see it being p2w any time soon.
    Don't rely peoples opinions, they are their own. If you have the time and the download allowance, download it and give it a try.
    You will get plenty of advice and help in game, sure there are some dicks (like all MMOs) but the help is there if you need it, or ask specific questions on here if/when required.
    Good luck.
    Yeah since its free you have nothing to lose in just trying it.

Just a few things you should go.

1. Dont sub for the game just because you enjoyed the first 2 planets. They are probable the best parts of the game(at least for me they were) but give it at least four planets before you do. If you still enjoy it after the first 4 planets then most likely you will like the game and then you could sub if you wanted too.

2. Read the forums also before you sub. There is alot of talk about the cost of a sub not being worth it so know what your actually gonna get before you do it.

Star wars was a great game - pay the 1 month and get everything - level 3 toons to 50 - see all the stories and worlds. Pay for 2 months clear all raid content and FP content at the highest difficulty, then unsub - come back in 10 months for new content. I'd say the $30 is worth it if you are brand spanking new to the game, a lot to do there all wrapped up in a nice package.

Deleted
    I am currently still playing and must say I am enjoying the game. Paid 8 euro's to get some more inventory slots and it's quite enjoyable. Not a very high level yet (11) but I am enjoying the game.