Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh doesn't surprise me really. That's one of the smaller towns in the northern part of the Bay Area and a lot of those areas are not in great shape economically. As a consequence of that you're going to see some egregious behavior on both sides of the law.

So in reality I suspect both parties in that video had unclean hands.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Well california is pretty close to our southerly neighbors. Surprised I am not. Justified? Not enough information.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by NotLuto View Post
    There's no such thing as unreasonable search and seizure. If they want to search you and you decline they can "detain" aka arrest you and then have every right to search you.

You don't actually get miranda rights read. I've been arrested four times and never once read my rights. The first two times it happened I told my lawyer I wanted to fight it on those grounds, that's TV only. No one gives a shit if you know your rights, in fact, they prefer you DON'T.
    They only have to read you your Miranda Rights if they intend to question you. For example, if you're pulled over for running a stop sign and the cop discovers that you are driving on a suspended license, you get arrested, but not Mirandized, as there is no questioning taking place.

10+ Year Old Account
    well that tazer seemed unnecessary
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steale View Post
    They only have to read you your Miranda Rights if they intend to question you. For example, if you're pulled over for running a stop sign and the cop discovers that you are driving on a suspended license, you get arrested, but not Mirandized, as there is no questioning taking place.
    Exactly. Miranda is only a protection against self-incrimination and confession; they can't actually use the confession in court if they don't read you your Miranda rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Reminds me of this

*snip*
    Keep in mind of course that security guards are NOT an extension of the police force.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Keep in mind of course that security guards are NOT an extension of the police force.
    A lot of times security guards ARE police, and in this case, that was not a security guard, that was in fact a police officer who was shopping at wal-mart while on duty. If you read the description of the video, it says that. You can't really tell at first, but when the woman says, "Why are YOU getting involved? You're not the police." she is in fact talking to the guy over to the left, out of view.

I don't know how that specific altercation started; I'm not sure I believe this couple really walked up to this police officer in the store and accused him of "treason" - but I definitely think police get out of hand, very quickly, very often. Tackling a woman to the ground for even thinking about resisting in some way is an over reaction. It's one we've gotten quite used to in this country. You can find a hundred videos on youtube of police shooting unarmed innocent civilians for "resisting" - sometimes only resisting by holding their hands up to block incoming hits from a baton. Those are only the ones caught on video, and not deleted afterwards by the police.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Depends on the corner of the world. Here we've had the national police chief give statements that "security guards are a natural continuance of lawkeeping, we can safely leave keeping the order to them and concentrate on crime". Think I also read somewhere that Finland has a ridiculous ratio of security guards compared to population and police force.

Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
    "Just cause" for entering, is anytime the police suspect either someone is in danger, or that illegal activity is currently occurring. They were called to a disturbance, were refused entry to the home, and refused to come out to show the cops everything was ok, with to cops stating they were called for a domestic disturbance. When they legally entered with just cause the occupant resisted arrest and refused to follow the orders of the officers. The cops would not know if he was armed, or someone else there was so they used force to take down the suspects. Guess what.. they did their job. If someone called the cops because they thought I was being domesti abused, I'd step out and talk to them rather than acting like a criminal. good job cops.

Hahaha. You're yet another guy who is thicker than pig sh--.
    Read up about what other people stated about California's laws-- hell, Constitutional law, lemming.
    I'm also disturbed by the number of apologists for these dumb thugs who are including "it's eroding respect for police" in their love letters for them.
    Hell yes. IT *SHOULD.*
    Lately I've considered every incident I've had with these duuuuuuuuuuuuuumb sons of b-tches during which I was 100% innocent or committed a petty violation such as jaywalking in states from North Carolina to Missouri to Texas to California and they were so f--ing stupid, scary and authoritative. I wrote "scary" as an adjective, although I've had so much experience with them during my 35 years that I'm now immune to their scare tactics.
    Anyway, while I've considered these experiences I've wondered if it was always this bad. I'm a student of history. I have read about the outrageous experiences that celebrities such as Jim Morrison and Lenny Bruce had with police back in the day. But I have no idea if it was ever quite as widespread in this country. I have the feeling that it's just getting worse and worse, and people such as this Whidbey idiot just continue to let it metastasize.

As for the guy who wrote that it costs an outrageous fee to prosecute competently the pig-ass-thugs' gross violations in court, you are completely correct, which is why, as you indicated, they are (in my case as well as many others) *constantly* breaking the law and trying to do it within an inch of causing damage that might actually amount to something in court.

For people who are thinking, "this guy is probably a mouthy black cunt."
    Nope. I'm a normal joe-blow white guy who at one time had enormous respect for police officers and was more than polite to them. That period is has long since passed.

Infracted. Keep away from foul language.
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2013-05-20 at 01:29 PM.

"the victims" were in the wrong and the police acted accordingly as stated by the law.

There was an infraction due to "racism?"
    There was no racism in the post, dummies.
    Ironically, I was doing a sarcastic take on white people and playing on the stereotype from blacks and whites that this kind of thing happens only to black people.
    Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Ok, put yourself in their position. Police show up at your house for no reason, demanding entry and permission to search. What are your options?
    "Asking why they're here and then letting them take a look around because I'm not an idiot who's done anything illegal or questionable," would generally be my answer.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdoll View Post
    "Asking why they're here and then letting them take a look around because I'm not an idiot who's done anything illegal or questionable," would generally be my answer.
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I prefer not to surrender my rights. It is BECAUSE I've done nothing illegal or questionable that I refuse permission to enter and search my property.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I prefer not to surrender my rights. It is BECAUSE I've done nothing illegal or questionable that I refuse permission to enter and search my property.
    Perhaps I should've mentioned that I don't live in the US before posting, but tbh, it's sorta irrelevant. Regardless though, I said that it would generally be my answer, I would of course weigh the reasons why they want to search my home and decide on whether I find them reasonable.

I do feel like it's those that shouts the loudest about their rights that has something they want to keep secret though. A bit of a non-sequitur, I suppose.

Also I don't consider proving that I'm innocent an abandoning of rights by letting them look if they so desire. I just see the refusal as unnecessarily aggressive and conflict-causing because of the high chance of things escalating, most likely due to mis-understandings on both parts. Then again, I tend to be respectful of authority

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Imagine being in the those cops' shoes. If I heard correctly, they had a warrant. That means they can break in if they have to, considering they had reports of domestic violence. Seriously, all these "this isn't a police state, we have rights" Americans are a bit deluded. You don't live in an anarchy either, you have certain rights, and they don't grant you immunity from things like this.

Edit: Also, this kind of behavior isn't really required. If the guy knows they've been reported for domestic violence, it's in his interest to be as cooperative as possible and tell the cops everything he knows without pissing them off. Like this he's just making his, his wife's and their children's lives harder.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-08-01 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Imagine being in the those cops' shoes. If I heard correctly, they had a warrant. That means they can break in if they have to, considering they had reports of domestic violence. Seriously, all these "this isn't a police state, we have rights" Americans are a bit deluded. You don't live in an anarchy either, you have certain rights, and they don't grant you immunity from things like this.

Edit: Also, this kind of behavior isn't really required. If the guy knows they've been reported for domestic violence, it's in his interest to be as cooperative as possible and tell the cops everything he knows without pissing them off. Like this he's just making his, his wife's and their children's lives harder.
    A necro'd thread from a mod. Don't see that every day :P The cops did not have a warrant. What they claimed was that when they receive a 911 call about a domestic violence they are allowed to enter the property. What the cops were not aware (either accidently or on purpose) of was this is only the case if the 911 call came FROM the house that has the domestic violence. In this case it was a neighbor that called. The reason its like this now adays is because of people making false accusations and bullshitting the police about domestic violence.

Kind of like when 4chan got SWAT teams to bust into random peoples houses just by making a call to the police.
    Last edited by Echelonl; 2013-08-01 at 11:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Echelonl View Post
    A necro'd thread from a mod. Don't see that every day :P
    Haha lol no you don't.