Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question What would you do if your partner(long term) became overweight?

You're in a long term relationship, your partner is very attractive and has always been fit. At some point he/she becomes quite overweight, would you leave him/her because his or her shape changed massivly, or would you stick by your partner?
    Nothing in your relationship has changed only the physical aspect.

As for how overweight I'm talking about, just go to the point where you feel It's no longer ok, I guess you probably know where that starts.

Deleted
    It takes quite a lot to become something that would concern me when it comes to weight. The moment it starts to impede your ability to move, I would step in. Try to supportively get her started exercising, preferably with me on her side but the exercise I can do is very limited.
    It would take a long time, a lot of stubborness and ignorance of their own health for me to leave them over their weight, if ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leaving someone because they gained weight is probably one of the shallowest things I've ever heard of. I wouldn't be happy if my partner made it into my "not ok" zone, but I would help them out.

I had a pretty long response planned out for this, but my forever alone status makes it rather confusing when I think about it.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i would probably cheat on them with someone who is fit.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    i would probably cheat on them with someone who is fit.
    Isn't it better to just break up in that case?

Deleted
    I would say hit the stairmaster or hit the road. Call me shallow or whatever, but massive overweight is my biggest turn-off and I couldn´t remain in a relationship where the physical aspect would be gone.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would confront her about it, as I prefer my partner to be fit. I´d then help her with getting fit again.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Deleted
    I wouldn't be fine with it at all. I'd push him to start training to get rid of it. Not that he doesn't train now, can't see him becoming overweight due to how he lives.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liliara View Post
    is it?

10char
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    You should really intervene before it gets to that point, for their own sake mostly.

While it's at least someone context dependent (does she have a medical condition?), if it were a product of just not bothering to stay in shape, I'd dump her very quickly. I don't think this is something I have much to worry about - running and biking together are some of our favorite things to do.

People saying that it's "shallow" to dump someone over weight gain are ignoring that weight gain isn't just a matter of appearance - it's a marker for sedentary lifestyle, lack of concern for you appearance, and diminished health.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    if it were a product of just not bothering to stay in shape, I'd dump her very quickly.
    There'd be warning signs when she doesn't wanna do stuff outside anymore.

Right, right. That's why I think I can say pretty safely that we'd already have split over whatever it was that caused her to stop being the person that I know. I have no desire to be with someone that sits in the house, being a bump on a log.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Right, right. That's why I think I can say pretty safely that we'd already have split over whatever it was that caused her to stop being the person that I know. I have no desire to be with someone that sits in the house, being a bump on a log.
    Yeah, I'd concur with this as well. People want to make this strictly about appearance, but really it's not. I love going outside and biking, hiking, etc. and if my partner once had similar interests and abandoned them, chances are we would split as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    That thread has obviously been made to stir controversy with no real intent of measuring opinions, considering he just joined... but I'll bite.

She either gets in shape, or I bail.
    Women have no qualms doing this, I don't see why I should conform to some moral standards that some MMOC users have about it.

Yeah, I'm shallow. Do something about it, MMOC!
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Quote Originally Posted by Liliara View Post
    No, because cheating would then motivate them to get skinny again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Saint 504 View Post
    Cheating is just what a coward does when he (or she) doesn't have the balls to tell them its over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Saint 504 View Post
    In what fantasy world does that outlandish outcome actually occur?
    Certainly not in the real world.

Wait... "Join Date: May 2013"...

Oh okay, that explains everything.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

My partner and I gained a few kilos over the past year for some reason.
    I think we attributed it to eating out a bit more.

We just sorted that shit out, we both joined a gym each and working on it.
    We're even going one step further and getting even fitter.

I haven't been in that situation, so I can't say for sure. However, I feel like I would just eventually point it out and get them to try and get fit. I don't think it'd be a huge turn off really, physically, idc, but health wise. Like a previous poster said, if it starts to hinder your movement, it's kind of a bad thing and you need to try to "get better". But on a physical level, I really don't see myself caring much.