Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I do agree that the combat system feels lackluster. I don't like this left click, right click combination combos its doing. At least not the way it is right now, its very hard to know where in the combo you are, as it all looks the same. (coming from someone who went 3 times to lvl like 9 or so, so not familiar with higher lvls. I can only voice an opinion on what I've experienced right?)

The dragons seem very similar to the pets in wow except that you can ride them, they don't do much more. They don't feel like your main asset tbh.
    Last edited by admeteora; 2013-05-20 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Since when is being rooted when swinging your weapon a requirement for a game to be action combat? Or rather, how does not being rooted when performing attacks make it less "actiony"?
    Generally action combat is based around positional awareness/attacks (dodging out of the way, getting around behind for a flanking only attack etc) and/or tactical use of attack combinations.

Not being rooted for varying times during different attacks gives you too much freedom of movement and makes the decision of which ability to use mostly trivial, since there's no real downside to any of them. Considering you should be actively dodging in action based games, being constantly moving mostly negates the need for a dodge feature. It's generally much more difficult to design such a combat system to be challenging and rewarding.

I'm not saying it's not possible, it's just not really been done super well as far as I know. All of the action games I know of that have been good (either personally found them good or have heard good things about them design-wise) use some form of animation locking to promote combat awareness and strategic use of abilities/combinations.

Deleted
    In this video this game looks really amazing:

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Since when is being rooted when swinging your weapon a requirement for a game to be action combat? Or rather, how does not being rooted when performing attacks make it less "actiony"?
    Reduces the opportunity cost of attacking.
    Almost every action RPG has action locking. Try running while swinging your sword in zelda: oot. You will stop moving. Some attacks grant movement while attacking, but usually in a set direction (like Lann in vindictus).

GW2 with CM 1.1 is an example of what action combat is like without movement cost, it's pretty watered down.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 05:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Generally action combat is based around positional awareness/attacks (dodging out of the way, getting around behind for a flanking only attack etc) and/or tactical use of attack combinations.

Not being rooted for varying times during different attacks gives you too much freedom of movement and makes the decision of which ability to use mostly trivial, since there's no real downside to any of them. Considering you should be actively dodging in action based games, being constantly moving mostly negates the need for a dodge feature. It's generally much more difficult to design such a combat system to be challenging and rewarding.

I'm not saying it's not possible, it's just not really been done super well as far as I know. All of the action games I know of that have been good (either personally found them good or have heard good things about them design-wise) use some form of animation locking to promote combat awareness and strategic use of abilities/combinations.
    A better way of putting it.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-05-21 at 05:46 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    A first look on Dragon's Prophet by MMOHUT:

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    A first look on Dragon's Prophet by MMOHUT:

50% movement reduction while using ranged basic attacks and rooted while using strong attacks.

Straight out of vindictus's Kia.

Love it.
    That's the one thing that bothered me about Teras archer, the basic attack wasn't strong enough to justify complete movement loss, just a slow.

This paired with the first video showing rooting on melee attacks shows that this is probably going to feel like an updated vindictus.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-05-22 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    50% movement reduction while using ranged basic attacks and rooted while using strong attacks.

Straight out of vindictus's Kia.

Love it.
    That's the one thing that bothered me about Teras archer, the basic attack wasn't strong enough to justify complete movement loss, just a slow.
    The basic attack for the Sorcerer does lock you in place rather than do the 50% movement reduction like the Ranger, however you can interrupt your attack (so far, any attack I've tried) at any part in the animation with the dodge roll to move if you need to.

Also, since I don't see it mentioned here, the NDA for the game was lifted yesterday and the official start date for the Open Beta is the 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    The basic attack for the Sorcerer does lock you in place rather than do the 50% movement reduction like the Ranger, however you can interrupt your attack (so far, any attack I've tried) at any part in the animation with the dodge roll to move if you need to.

Also, since I don't see it mentioned here, the NDA for the game was lifted yesterday and the official start date for the Open Beta is the 30th.
    Yeah. I am okay with casters having movement locked down.
    Usually archers have low hp, low cc, high dmg, high movement
    Whereas dmg casters like like low hp, high cc, high dmg, low movement.
    It's all trade offs.

Also, 8 days to finish leveling all classes in NWO I guess U_U

Well, the archer plays a LOT like a cross between the archer skill set in tera and the movement of Kia in vindictus. I like the mishmash of the two.
    Anyone else dabbling a bit between lag spikes? lol

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Really just seems like a very generic MMO to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    Really just seems like a very generic MMO to me.
    *puts on hipster glasses*

Everything is generic, duh.

15+ Year Old Account
    *puts on hipster glasses*

Everything is generic, duh.
    lol I just meant MORE generic than the typical new game. Seems like the kind of game that would have come out around 2007, graphically it LOOKS like something that would have come out of Korea around 2007.

lol I just meant MORE generic than the typical new game. Seems like the kind of game that would have come out around 2007, graphically it LOOKS like something that would have come out of Korea around 2007.
    I think you mean 2009.

I think you mean 2009.
    When did Runes of Magic come out? Because from what I understand, it literally uses a lot of the same animations, even skill graphics (in-game and hotbar), presumably same engine. One example someone gave is that the dragon taming animation when you're sitting on it is just a /dance animation from RoM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    When did Runes of Magic come out? Because from what I understand, it literally uses a lot of the same animations, even skill graphics (in-game and hotbar), presumably same engine. One example someone gave is that the dragon taming animation when you're sitting on it is just a /dance animation from RoM.
    2009 as well.

Not really seeing much similarity in animations but I usually don't focus on my characters arm flailing so much as the enemies arm flailing since this is an action game. RoM seems to be second generation eq/wow/rift/aion/lotro/swtor combat.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you mean 2009.
    Actually I meant it looks on par with LotRO.

Actually I meant it looks on par with LotRO.
    Lotro didn't "come out of korea"

15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't care too much for action combat games. I tried Tera and Nethewinter and didn't care at all for that type of combat so this game probably won't be one I'd enjoy. Its sad too because the game looks pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I didn't care too much for action combat games. I tried Tera and Nethewinter and didn't care at all for that type of combat so this game probably won't be one I'd enjoy. Its sad too because the game looks pretty sweet.
    Probably because TERA combat is kinda dull till 40+ when you get the real ability's that matter and neverwinter is just spam aoe till everything dies.

Open beta is live! Go register and you play right now(I think so).
    https://www.dragonsprophetthegame.com/index.vm