Poll: Should they be granted asylum?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    No more abhorrent than the political brainwashing in our public schools.
    Aaaaaaaaand there we have it.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    And:
    In 1997, a study of 5,402 homeschool students from 1,657 families was released. It was entitled, "Strengths of Their Own: Home Schoolers Across America." The study demonstrated that homeschoolers, on the average, out-performed their counterparts in the public schools by 30 to 37 percentile points in all subjects.

Source: http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp

a study performed by the "National Home Education Research Institute", which is basically operated by the HSLDA, who like to not control for income/education/etc. levels of the parents and have lousy sampling, not to mention questionable methodology on their results collection.

As the ICHER says
    :

For example, two large U.S. studies (Rudner, 1999; Ray, 2009) are frequently cited as definitive evidence that homeschoolers academically outperform public and private school students. But in both cases, the homeschool participants were volunteers responding to an invitation by the nation’s most prominent advocacy organization to contribute test scores (on tests usually administered by parents in the child’s own home). The demographics of these samples were far whiter, more religious, more married, better educated, and wealthier than national averages. And yet these test score results were compared to average public school scores that included children from all income levels and family backgrounds. Not surprisingly, wealthy homeschoolers from stable two-parent families who take tests administered by their parents in the comfort of their own homes outscore the average public school child by large margins.
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-05-15 at 05:44 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I used to think the same thing, but then I did some research into the effects of homeschooling. There's a lot of literature and research that suggests kids that are home schooled perform better on standardized tests.

I still don't like it, I still wouldn't do it, but I'm no longer against it.
    And how well developed are their social skills; skills which are inarguably more important and relevant to success later in life.

15+ Year Old Account
    No more abhorrent than the political brainwashing in our public schools.
    You speak of the US, Germany dont have that problem so there is no reason not to attend private or public schools.
    Home schooling is more or less only used by religious people with extreme views.
    It is a handicap to deny the children that daily contact with the society they are supposed to be part of.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Grant them asylum, kick them out if they homeschool.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Bollocks. Pull up your sources on that one m'lad, then I'll maybe take you seriously.

In other words indoctrination that in no one prepares them for the real world and often leaves at a disadvantage to other children due to their lack of education in non-religious matters; which should quite clearly be considered child abuse.

Hilarious, the first person you quote you tell them to prove it or go pound sand. The second person you quote makes an equally absurd statement and you just lap it up like a kitten and warm milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    And how well developed are their social skills; skills which are inarguably more important and relevant to success later in life.
    Believe it or not. People who are home schooled get to go out and meet with their neighbors and friends when they are not studying. The ONLY advantage a public school has over homeschooling is that it allows you to self reflect on your previously held ideas and biases i.e. You would not think black people are rapists and criminals when you have a black person as a best friend etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Hilarious, the first person you quote you tell them to prove it or go pound sand. The second person you quote makes an equally absurd statement and you just lap it up like a kitten and warm milk.
    Not really. How does instilling "Christian values" in the subject of home schooling mean anything else but forcing their religion on them at the expense of things they'd learn at school. Because if they're being homeschool for "Christian Values", then the parents evidently don't like what the school is teaching, and chances are those "Non-Christian Values" being taught that they don't like are neccessary parts of education that they're going to miss out being home-schooled in these "Christian Values".

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    You speak of the US, Germany dont have that problem so there is no reason not to attend private or public schools.
    Home schooling is more or less only used by religious people with extreme views.
    It is a handicap to deny the children that daily contact with the society they are supposed to be part of.
    Are the children allowed to go out with friends? If so, they are not socially damaged.

---------- Post added 2013-05-15 at 01:53 PM ----------

Not really. How does instilling "Christian values" in the subject of home schooling mean anything else but forcing their religion on them at the expense of things they'd learn at school. Because if they're being homeschool for "Christian Values", then the parents evidently don't like what the school is teaching, and chances are those "Non-Christian Values" being taught that they don't like are neccessary parts of education that they're going to miss out being home-schooled in these "Christian Values".
    You mean non christian values like cheating? Besides, when they become adult they will have to deal with real life. If they are racist, they will get fixed in the adult life. But they will have time to form core values in the homeschool without being under the influence of other groups.

In Germany homeschooling is a federal offense and anyone caught homeschooling their children will have their children taken away, not to mention hefty fines and potential imprisonment. One of these persecuted families is now seeking asylum in the United States, however the persecution of homeschoolers isn't specifically mentioned in law, leaving the question up in the air. Homeschooling groups in the U.S. are appealing their case, in an attempt to make the persecution of homeschoolers a legally acceptable reason for seeking asylum.

What do you think, should persecuted families of homeschoolers be allowed to seek asylum in other countries?

The case: http://global.christianpost.com/news...-appeal-95893/

If I was to make a guess, I would GUESS, that in Germany homeschooling is often done by neo-Nazi groups as a way of maintaining purity in education and relations. As a result, Germany outlawed homeschooling with draconian measures (as it does with anything related to the Nazi regime, even swastika relate to Buddhism).

However, I suspect the European Court of Human Rights id the correct venue.

P.S. I am not saying that these specific families are neo-Nazi's merely that I would guess was the germination of the law itself.

---------- Post added 2013-05-15 at 01:02 PM ----------

Because there is no evidence to suggest that they are actually getting a poor education. Someone posts actual evidence that suggests homeschooling might have value, and you dismiss it as flawed. Someone else just makes a wild claim that they are just getting zealous religious education at the lacking any substance of value citing no evidence what so ever and you just say hell yeah that has to be what else could it be.

Think about what you are saying if this is evidence of public school education perhaps some homeschooling as value.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It's not just about education, it's about integration.
    Being homeschooled doesn't make you socially retarded nor does attending public school make you not so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Are the children allowed to go out with friends? If so, they are not socially damaged.
    Those parents that use homeschooling for the reason previously mentioned are likely only to let their children play with children with the same views, so yea it is a bad thing.

Especially in Europe where we have refugees(and less immigrants) from mostly Middle East and Africa, they already clutter up in residential areas with other immigrants which is tbh rational but that cripple the assimilation hugely, add home schooling on top on that and you can see how its is devastating to them integrating to their new country when they have no contact with it.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Your publics schools maybe. Politics wasnt mentioned in my past schools unless you took the class for it, and even then it was a fair study of all views.

Plus as naive as this may sound ide rather trust a public school than a middle aged family that impresses their views onto their children.
    was diversity ever promoted in the schools you went to? If you grew up in the west than most likely it was. That's a political point of view forced on every child.

Those parents that use homeschooling for the reason previously mentioned are likely only to let their children play with children with the same views, so yea it is a bad thing.

Especially in Europe where we have refugees(and less immigrants) from mostly Middle East and Africa, they already clutter up in residential areas with other immigrants which is tbh rational but that cripple the assimilation hugely, add home schooling on top on that and you can see how its is devastating to them integrating to their new country when they have no contact with it.
    I guess your opinion is superior to theirs such that they shouldn't be able to do what they think is best for their children.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I guess your opinion is superior to theirs such that they shouldn't be able to do what they think is best for their children.
    That's not an uncommon view in the "progressive" community.

Given the fact that I hate the fact that teachers in America are frequently poorly educated, yet inexplicably overpaid rubes (Yeah you heard me.) I'm not surprised a parent could teach their child better (Which would be why homeschooled kids commonly score better on academic assessments). If I ever have kids I'd be tempted to go this route just because I have superior resources (at least on a per child basis) to the public education system. Mostly because I happen to find the internet to be a very reliable source, unlike many public teachers.

That's not an uncommon view in the "progressive" community.
    I just find it ironic that the same people who would promote freedom and not forcing others to conform to your own ideals suddenly turn that right around when it comes to somebody else teaching their children in a way that they don't agree with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Yea, who could possible know what would be best for their children when traveling half across the world, many with no education or skills that are needed to live here with any chanse of not being a permanent welfare burdon.
    Yea I bet it is the former goat herder who knows best.

Here's a concept I never fully understood. Why do European countries insist upon assimilation rather than cultural integration? It's like Europe collectively treats itself as a museum where everyone is free to look at the art on the walls, but no one is allowed to draw on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Here's a concept I never fully understood. Why do European countries insist upon assimilation rather than cultural integration? It's like Europe collectively treats itself as a museum where everyone is free to look at the art on the walls, but no one is allowed to draw on it.
    What's even more hilarious is that these same people calling for "assimilation" for the native populace, are the same people calling for multiculturalism for immigrants.