Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    Exactly this! It will be hard to deliver all the WoW World in the two hour movie! It will be extremely hard ! I fear they might make one more DRY film without any emotion just Action scenes and pretty places like Avatar was ! It was quite crap film I want to say.
    It could end up like the games: Go read the books.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Yeh I will call it now with out any casting info or anything like that, this movie will be sub 40 on metacritic.
    > 2013
    > people still check criti-scores
    > implying the newer generations aren't straightborn horribad critics

and i refer to the "bieber" generation, those who think pandaren are kung fu panda copy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i havent even seen that movie out of fear that it will ruin avatar for me
    As Avatar fan I dont suggest to watch it. NEVER EVER EVEN LOOK AT TRAILER !
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    A movie about a video game has never been good, and I dont expect a Warcraft movie to break the cycle.
    Nah. It can be done. I don't think WoW has the "substance" for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    I shall remind you of the Biohazard/Resident Evil games and what Hollywood did to those stories...
    I feel like Warcraft has one of the best stories in gaming. The world has a lot of great lore to pull from.

They could mess up the movie but if they do it right it could be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope they don't Hollywood-ize too much, to try and reach to different audiences that never have played WoW to come see it in hopes that maybe they will try the game too. This movie should be specifically for the fans and ONLY them. Fuck everybody else who never even heard of or played WoW because that's how they screw up video game based movies. They try to draw in new people. Just follow the damn story and characters and don't try and add anything new.

I don't care how confident Blizzard claims they are with the director I'm still worried they're going to fuck something up.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I just hope they don't Hollywood-ize too much, to try and reach to different audiences that never have played WoW to come see it in hopes that maybe they will try the game too. This movie should be specifically for the fans and ONLY them. Fuck everybody else who never even heard of WoW because that's how they screw up video game based movies. They try to draw in new people. Just follow the damn story and characters and don't try and add anything new.

I don't care how confident Blizzard claims they are with the director I'm still worried they're going to fuck something up.
    Depends on who is funding it. If a major movie studio is involved ... heh.

The biggest problem with video game movies is that often they screw up the game's canon thus alienizing fans.
    Like the Doom movie did, or the Resident Evil movies.

If they stick to the canon of the game, and the feel, it will work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really disappointed that they didn't have the cinematics team make the movie, the thought "This would've been 10x better if the cinematics team made it" will probably be floating around my head for the whole movie...

I feel like not many people are trying to counter this point made from the source. They acknowledged on both sides those saying, "The game's lore sucks" and "They better stick with the lore"
    We took our time with Warcraft because just saying “How many people play the game? Well then that means X number of people will buy a ticket.” That’s a death trap, that’s the surest way to make a crap movie
    They'll probably stick with the lore, but they're not goin to risk the movie being looked at like people used to look at the old Star Trek movies (outside of Trekkies)
    Last edited by Confirm Deny; 2013-05-15 at 10:53 PM.
    It wasn't long ago / I was just like you / And now I think I'm sick and I wanna go home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    what if SEARING WOLVES? The possibilities?!!?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably a little early to predict whether or not a movie that doesn't have a script yet is going to be any good or not. The further away they set the story away from the game, the better chance it will have. The Warcraft universe itself is a fine place to set a movie. Places like Orgrimmar, Stormwind and Teldrassil would be wonderful to see as more or less 'real' places. But for story they should be very limited as to how much they get from the game itself. I don't necessarily want to spend $12 to see a Hollywood version of the Ragnaros fight.

---------- Post added 2013-05-15 at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Really disappointed that they didn't have the cinematics team make the movie, the thought "This would've been 10x better if the cinematics team made it" will probably be floating around my head for the whole movie...
    You do realize that with an undertaking of this size if the cinematics team had taken it on there wouldn't be any game cinematics of any kind for about 5 years?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I just hope they dont end up making it too geeky.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I just hope they dont end up making it too geeky.
    why, it won't be cool and mainstream enough for you to not be embarassed to see it in theatres?

Illidan+kael'thas(blood elf), Arthas+lich king and our final battle with the burning legion, Kil'Jaeden and Sargeras would be awesome. Hard to fit in 3 movies though. And they'll probably want to tell the orc story too... so much stuff to include...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I wonder how many people here actually realise that Warcraft is not just "a game" It has loads of writing outside of it, there is a lot of books, short stories, mangas, etc. And we know that a movie based off a book can be great, LOTR / Game of Thrones comes to mind when talking about Fantasy.

Of course it isn't the exact same thing, but there is a difference basing a movie purely off a game, and basing it off a universe that is used in games aswell as books.

What can happen also is that the movie is placed in such a rich universe, and newcomers may have a very hard time getting to know the whole story, because otherwise it will just be some random movie where people hit eachother for little understandable reason. What is the story gonna be? They have said they wont make it of something in the past, but in the future? that means people need understand on what has happened previously.

Also if you compare WoW lore to that of say Warcraft 3, Warcraft blows WoW out of the water, no doubt whatsoever. Simply because of the way the games work, we have two factions in WoW, and if one gains some imaginary advantage, one factions players will whine, and then it will even out. Secondly it's very hard to kill someone off in WoW, because we are already killing bosses/players/npcs every single day, just think of how many times we'd have to get a new faction leader, it would be almost daily at the speed we're killing them in WoW.

It's just important to base the movie off the WarCraft genre, not off World of Warcraft, because that is doomed to fail.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    Agreed. I think it wont be like Good humans will destroy Bad Horde. It will irritate Whole horde players and some Alliance too. And I guess they are aware of it ! So I think they will introduce Horde as good guys who fight good guys (alliance) for their good life Evenmore if they are playing the game
    what has worked is having an antagonist, we've got many in the warcraft universe, that works outside of the flow of the factions, but also have the factions at war with one another, where whatever side we're being told the story from, the other side will be the bad guys.
    Yes this is basicly wow's plot dynamic all over, but thats what made the story flow and why it works.

night elves see orcs cutting down trees, and don't ask why, so they assume there evil. Orcs see night elves showing aggression and fight them without asking why, since they need the wood to survive.

dwarves seen a bunch of trolls performing a ritual and assume its evil, trolls who are performing the ritual are doing so you keep an evil from entering there world, and see the dwarves as a pest.

Orcs see humans walking across the barrens and see them as a threat and attack, humans are escaping from some raging centaur and now are faced with orcs attacking them.

See this is what happens in wow, there is black and white, there is always a grey area, and it so often comes down to survival, to the most extreme. You throw in a real bad guy held inbetween all this, and you've got yourself a solid conflict, with ignorance as its main factor.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand here, with no strong feelings one way or the other, I seek not to be excited, nor disappointed. I will go see it when it is out, and I will make my judgement on that.

Trailer will seal some preconceptions before then likely too. As it is, there is far too little to go on.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    why, it won't be cool and mainstream enough for you to not be embarassed to see it in theatres?
    No. Because it would be painful to watch.

I dont want to see the fantasy/RP element get overdone like with so many other films.... Many films (and novels/games/whatever too) tend to base their entire storyline and premise on the fantasy itself, and that usually just ends up making them terrible and horribly pretentious. The better way is to make the fantasy simply the setting for the story, not the premise.

Discworld for example achieves this wonderfully, many others do not. Warcraft has been treading towards the latter recently...

I do worry that this film may just be crammed full of "uber fantasy" themes solely to appeal to players, RPers and general fantasy geeks. I'm hoping for more of a down-to-earth, realistic approach.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-05-15 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I just hope they don't Hollywood-ize too much, to try and reach to different audiences that never have played WoW to come see it in hopes that maybe they will try the game too. This movie should be specifically for the fans and ONLY them. Fuck everybody else who never even heard of or played WoW because that's how they screw up video game based movies. They try to draw in new people. Just follow the damn story and characters and don't try and add anything new.

sorry mate but then you have no idea how movie business work

if they make a movie for fans only, it would be first and only WoW movie made....with big financial loss for Legendary. One thing thats a fact....the movie will not be made for fans only, cuz movie needs to make 3 times the amount it was invested in it and so far the numbers are between 150-200mils planned. So tell me how can "fans only" make half a billion alone?

One thing that 99% of the game to movie failed was cuz of that....for fans only. Also worst thing to do is to get a director who is a fan also. Now Duncan is a gamer, but im not sure he is/was a WoW player. Good example is Dungeons & Dragons movie......it was made by director who was a huge D&D fan and it turn to be a disaster. Warner Bros got the rights recently and want to reboot it properly...but there are some legal issues atm.

As for WoW.....i had a chance to read first 2 drafts made by Gary Whitta and Robert Rodat. Whitta script is really good, but lacks action.....Rodat script was packed with action but lore wise was total crap......ofc Blizzard trashed it, just they didnt tell that to Rodat and Raimi...so everything got delayed for a year. I would like to see Raimi vision of Azeroth, he did really good with Oz, but now we have Duncan at helm, another screenwriter and the script is a secret so i really dont know where they will be heading.

But so far it was about Varian and his return as a king of SW in both scripts.....so i reckon it will stay that way.

Superhero movie in last 5-10 years showed that a comic book can be made into a movie for wide audience and with alteration of the chars and storylines. Last example is Iron Man 3 and the Mandarin character....who ever is comic book fan hated what they made of Mandarin. Im not comic book fan and I liked the movie and the whole Mandarin plot twist. Also movie made 600mil worldwide on first week. Fans were angry, but who cares.....Disney? Marvel? I don't think so

There will be game movies in years to come and they will not fail, cuz studios learned how to make it now. Good script, good director and good budget....not like before

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You do realize that with an undertaking of this size if the cinematics team had taken it on there wouldn't be any game cinematics of any kind for about 5 years?
    Yep, it would be 100% worth it.