Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    EJ hasn't been what it use to be. Some of the guides are very outdated and you don't see boss discussion in a general sense anymore.

For theorycraft (within your class) EJ can still be good, but it largely depends on the class you play. This is true of any class though and it depends on the individuals who take the time to bring you this information. Some classes have lots of information (and accurate information) others really don't.

Right now the best way to get information on raids is to go through the sites listed in this thread, the class forums on MMO and the forum we are on right now. Not saying the moderation is awful on this site but there are A LOT of repeat threads that could be consolidated for raiding information. I think there are upwards of 4-5 Heroic Megaera threads with a lot of information that could be useful if someone cared to find it all.

As a web developer, I would be willing to create an unmoderated forum where people could say/express whatever is on their mind.

However, my biggest concern is that it would be popular for like a day and then fade away. Is it worth the development time?

Deleted
    Unmoderated it would just be a flame / trolling festival.

What I'm guessing the "elitists" want is some sort of forum where only people that are, say, in top 100 world could post in. Would that be successful? I honestly doubt it but who knows, maybe someone can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Right now the best way to get information on raids is to go through the sites listed in this thread, the class forums on MMO and the forum we are on right now. Not saying the moderation is awful on this site but there are A LOT of repeat threads that could be consolidated for raiding information. I think there are upwards of 4-5 Heroic Megaera threads with a lot of information that could be useful if someone cared to find it all.
    That's a big IF at the end and the reason why I think communities have moved away from guides and toward discussions. You and everyone else are all free to create the next Icy-Veins guide (back when they were good) complete with heroic modes from Raid Leader, Tank, Healer, and DPS points of view including everything based on compiling multiple discussions, points of view, and your own experience.

Oh, can't be assed? Right... nobody (including myself) can really be anymore especially with how difficult it actually is to make a good guide (by the way, those who still make them, props to you guys!)... hence I think a reason the "guide" has fallen by the wayside. It was always difficult but even IMO relatively easier before MOP to make a guide, with the new massive class changes, new trinkets and encounters and the fact that the way rotations/classes have been built just make writing an accurate, complete guide nearly impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Unmoderated it would just be a flame / trolling festival.
    Sorry to disappoint, but that's pretty exclusive to the 12 year old children of the PvP Community.

Once you get to a certain point in PvE, you can't be bad unless you've got a case of selective downs syndrome and can't line up trinket procs with cooldowns while dancing. You also can't tell someone that they are bad just because their group didn't do so good.

I remember this one guy trying to talk shit to Brakthir. Brakthir is an awesome guy. He's been around for a long time and has given a lot to the community. Anyway, this guy is saying he does dogshit damage because his DPS was a little lower than another player in the raid who had a little bit less gear. Sometimes, these things happen.

Sometimes, you have a trinket that lines up perfectly into an Execute phase. Sometimes, you get the boss on farm and the boss dies before you can get a good Execute phase. Sometimes, your trinket just doesn't proc and throws your entire damage flow.

But no one indulged him. They just let him know that he was being a douchebag and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    unmoderated forum
    Forums live and die by their moderation. If you want a place for quality discussion then you need to set ground rules and moderate. Even this place has pretty lax rules. If Teamliquid did Wow forums all the shit about "waa lfr" would be locked and binned in an instant.

Deleted
    I really doubt the top 100 are going to go on a forum and swap tactics and discussion with each other, bearing in mind most questions top guilds seem to get are from players outside that bleeding edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Forums live and die by their moderation. If you want a place for quality discussion then you need to set ground rules and moderate. Even this place has pretty lax rules. If Teamliquid did Wow forums all the shit about "waa lfr" would be locked and binned in an instant.
    Yeah, sorry. I meant "uncensored", not unmoderated hehe. I know that a forum depends on a good moderation staff. I've owned several high traffic forums, including a popular gaming one that required quite a bit of spam control and other issues.

If I did develop a wow forum, it would be competing with other bigger forums... which is why I'm asking. Is it really worth the development time? Although a true uncensored forum would be interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    howtopriest.com
    maintankadin.failsafedesign.com
    tankspot.com
    http://manaflask.com/
    http://www.methodwow.com/board/forum.php

My advice would be don't stick to 1 forum, the internet has loads of info, the more sources you have from top-end raiders, the better.
    Like what Tojara said, check for more sites for raids/class guides on mmo itself, I'm sure there are many more, but these are some I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I dunno, 4chan gets some pretty impressive traffic. The rules there are close to non-existent, and whilst most of it is pretty terrible, they have directly helped shape the current popular internet culture, in a very serious way.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

EJ and AJ tend to be out of date or half abandoned.

MMOchamp really is your best bet for useful info and guides.

Personally I haven't used EJ as a resource in ages. Ew.

Quote Originally Posted by RareBeast View Post
    For Feral Druids, http://fluiddruid.net/forum/index.php]Fluid Druid >>> Elitist Jerks. Excellent info continually updated by a friendly, helpful community.
    YEAH! (though you'll still get some of those posters here at mmo-champ too, but FD has a lot less noise)

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you actually read the arenajunkies forums? There is just as much trolling and name calling as anywhere else. There are good and informative discussions but you have just as many players going in to complain x class is OP all over that classes forums and people calling each other "carried" and accusations of win-trading, ddosing, etc.