Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    If a world-wide alliance would result in the abolishment of basic freedoms, such as being able to have kids, I'd be calling to arms.

Out of curiosity, how would one aquire such a license?
    Being able to support a kid through income, having basic intelligence. Just means a child should have for success. Of course, many people would have these, so you'd have to do it through a lottery (Ie: "You passed the tests! Now you'll have to wait several months to find out if you are the lucky recipient of a liscense!"). Obviously, not going to work in anything short of an "ideal" (there aren't enough quotation marks for this) world for reasons you and others described.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    Agreed. In order to receive a birth license, you would have to take a series of tests to prove that you're intelligent enough to breed.
    Breeding doesn't require intelligence. Breeding is what got us into this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    and it seems obvious that those who would have to die would not like their fate
    Why does depopulating have to mean mass murder? Can be a long-term process of not having 8 children, especially when you can't support them.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

The degenerates have plagued our Mother for far too long. Only her true children, the glorious PC gaming master race, are worthy of life.
    Haha now you are forcing me to agree with you :|
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Why does depopulating have to mean mass murder? Can be a long-term process of not having 8 children, especially when you can't support them.
    Even if you can support them you really shouldn't be having 8 children. The uber rich have enough benefits in society, being able to have 8 times more kids than the typical person doesn't need to get added to the list.

1804 - 1 billion
    1927 - 2 billion
    1960 - 3 billion
    1975 - 4
    1987 - 5
    1999 - 6
    2011 - 7

we do get more and more faster and faster, but uhm gussing we wont start to eat eatother for atleast another 100years

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    There is another thread about the UN wanting people to eat bugs; can't we just merge these two ideas and start producing yummy Soylent Green? That way we won't have to resort to eating insects.

Quote Originally Posted by yeto View Post
    1804 - 1 billion
    1927 - 2 billion
    1960 - 3 billion
    1975 - 4
    1987 - 5
    1999 - 6
    2011 - 7

we do get more and more faster and faster, but uhm gussing we wont start to eat eatother for atleast another 100years
    The numbers you have provided do not fit your statement, as a population growth of 1 billion has consistently taken 12 years according to your own data for the last few billions. So we are not getting more "faster and faster".

Population growth will self-regulate when it becomes unsustainable, per definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Being able to support a kid through income, having basic intelligence. Just means a child should have for success. Of course, many people would have these, so you'd have to do it through a lottery (Ie: "You passed the tests! Now you'll have to wait several months to find out if you are the lucky recipient of a liscense!"). Obviously, not going to work in anything short of an "ideal" (there aren't enough quotation marks for this) world for reasons you and others described.
    Okay so if you're studying you should not be able to have kids before you finished and found a job. If you were the ruler of the world I would not exist.

I know a girl, who when she was 14 she was thrown out of her home because she was uncontrollable, her grades sucked, she didn't give a shit about school, she got drunk every weekend. Needless to say, she would not have passed your test.
    Guess what? When she was 15 she got pregnant, got a beautiful girl. She got her act together, she moved back in with her parents, she just now graduated college and she quit drinking. She and her now 5 year old girl are happy as can be, because of an unwanted pregnancy. She is an asset to society now, as opposed to before.
    In hindsigt, I think she would have been fucked up so bad if some g-man came and demanded she have a forced abortion.

On another note, is it only me, or has anyone else noticed how computer gamers, nerd and geeks are generally delusional bigots and narcissists?
    What makes you think you'd be part of the 5% of survivors in case of a zombie appocalypse? What makes you think you'd be among the elite, chosen to surive while billions were "killed off" to make more room on Earth?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    Okay so if you're studying you should not be able to have kids before you finished and found a job. If you were the ruler of the world I would not exist.

I know a girl, who when she was 14 she was thrown out of her home because she was uncontrollable, her grades sucked, she didn't give a shit about school, she got drunk every weekend. Needless to say, she would not have passed your test.
    Guess what? When she was 15 she got pregnant, got a beautiful girl. She got her act together, she moved back in with her parents, she just now graduated college and she quit drinking. She's and her now 5 year old girl are happy as can be, because of an unwanted pregnancy. She is an asset to society now, as opposed to before.
    In hindsigt, I think she would have been fucked up so bad if some g-man came and demanded she have a forced abortion.

On another note, is it only me, or has anyone else noticed how computer gamers, nerd and geeks are generally delusional bigots and narcissists?
    What makes you think you'd be part of the 5% of survivors in case of a zombie appocalypse? What makes you think you'd be among the elite, chosen to surive while billions were "killed off" to make more room on Earth?
    Did you even read the "Not enough quotation marks for this" after the "ideal" bit. I don't believe this in the slightest you know. I shoot the shit like this because there's nothing better to do here. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, let's start the depopulation with Europe, all of it.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing I'm a moderate then.

We should also return to an agrarian society.
    From your comments, I'm betting you're also white, economically stable and male.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    The numbers you have provided do not fit your statement, as a population growth of 1 billion has consistently taken 12 years according to your own data for the last few billions. So we are not getting more "faster and faster".

Population growth will self-regulate when it becomes unsustainable, per definition.
    yeah that was a huge spike in the 1960s vere the grow rate was at 2% it topped at 2.13% in 1963 and is now down to 1.10% but 1.10 now is still more ppl then 2.0 in 1960 as the base number is higher.

Deleted
    Yes, but only if the billions are killed of at random, regardless of race, country, social standard, etnicity, political views, sexuality etc.

Because otherwise the blame game would start between the different nations and WW III would be a thing.

Deleted
    We don't need less population, we need profit to cease to be the God of humanity, and let compassion rule. As Reg said, current and even larger populations are sustainable even with todays technology, it's just that humans waste sickening amounts of food produce for profits sake.

Depends on how you look at it.

In terms of managing resources, then of course. Population growth always brings about conflict for resources, and has since the dawn of humankind. And since we pollute the planet so much, having fewer people around would slow that down.

But look at it another way: every additional person brings something good--or bad--to this planet's history with them. Just think of all the brilliant books, and music, and art, and scientific discoveries that were lost because tens of millions of people were killed during the two world wars, and that they or their descendants could have produced. One of those people might have cured cancer. Or discovered how gravity works. Or formed a band greater than The Beatles. And so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing I'm a moderate then.
    On what axis? Sanity?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Yes, the Earth would be far better off with a few billion less people.

Space exploration, STAT!
    To be honest, simple organization and planning would solve it.
    You can fit the whole human populate in texas, and use the rest of the USA to grow food for them, leaving 6 continents free.
    Its not too many people, its horrible infrastructure, planning, careless and reckless development, greed and stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Do you intend to build some sort of battle station?
    I'll start bulls-eyeing womprats in my T16 back home.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    On what axis? Sanity?
    The Arctic Daishi Political Self Evaluation Scale™