Thread: Part check

Deleted

Part check

I'm thinking of buying two of these RAM sticks to go into a Z87 motherboard I'll be getting when they release.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Just wanted to ask here if there is something I am missing as the price for a 8gb DDR3 stick seems almost too good to be true.
    I know it will take quite a while to deliver but I can work with that.

Thanks for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleHawk View Post
    I'm thinking of buying two of these RAM sticks to go into a Z87 motherboard I'll be getting when they release.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Just wanted to ask here if there is something I am missing as the price for a 8gb DDR3 stick seems almost too good to be true.
    I know it will take quite a while to deliver but I can work with that.

Thanks for any feedback.
    I'm betting the reason for the price difference is that it's CL11 RAM.

For comparison, here's an 8GB stick of CL9 Patriot Viper 3 DDR3-1600 RAM on Amazon.UK, for £41.14.

I second the CL11.

I just built two systems with that exact ram. Unless you're really gunning for performance/overclocking, you won't notice a difference.

And Corsair makes good stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt View Post
    I second the CL11.

I just built two systems with that exact ram. Unless you're really gunning for performance/overclocking, you won't notice a difference.

And Corsair makes good stuff.
    I'm planning to use it for gaming mostly and while I don't plan on overclocking at first I want to keep that option open.
    I plan on getting a 4570k processor with a z87 motherboard when they come out, but since RAM prices seem to keep going up I want to order something today.

Been browsing forums looking at threads on RAM which got me wondering:
    Getting 2 8gb sticks would allow room to expand to 32gb in the future but is 32gb or even 16gb overkill for gaming for the next 4-5 years?
    would I be better off getting something smaller but faster like these?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Veng...s=2133mhz+ddr3
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-Ripj...s=2133mhz+ddr3

Kind of confused that this point.
    Thanks again for any feedback.
    Last edited by mmoccbc7db64cc; 2013-05-17 at 04:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    CAS latency doesn't matter much anymore.
    Speed doesn't matter much anymore.
    Anything more than 8gb is not needed for gaming of any kind, and won't in any computer's current lifetime.

Just get the cheapest 2x4gb 1600 you can find that fits your heatsink.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    CAS latency doesn't matter much anymore.
    Speed doesn't matter much anymore.
    Anything more than 8gb is not needed for gaming of any kind, and won't in any computer's current lifetime.

Just get the cheapest 2x4gb 1600 you can find that fits your heatsink.
    Wait, it's really that simple? sweet, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleHawk View Post
    Wait, it's really that simple? sweet, thanks.
    Pretty much. I mean CL9 -is- faster, technically? But... we're talking about... 1-2%. If that, most of the time. Back in the day when CAS was much lower, and CPU's were much slower, the difference between CL2 and CL3 meant something. Now... there is no real world difference.

RAM speed -does- matter when using an AMD APU. But that's really the only situation.

Higher clocked ram is better for overclocking (The ram, which few people do) as well because it is tested and rated so.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab