Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Nowadays I think many people would be glad of any job at all, few can afford to be choosy.
    This is my PoV aswell.

There is absolutly no margin to choose jobs nowadays, offcourse, if you can have fun doing a job, then that obviously its a plus.

The level of physical demand the job entails is my no.1 concern at the moment due to illness. I'm basically not fit to work at all but it doesn't stop me looking for something that might fit.

Otherwise it'd be a balance of pay vs. travel.

it's all about the Benjamins, I look for jobs that support my outside off work habits
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zildjian View Post
    I agree and disagree.

Would you really take a job as a shopping centre cleaner getting minimum wage? If I needed it to keep my kids eating then of course but if I'm living at home with my parents getting benefits. No I wouldn't.

@OP

Pay.
    Your behavior is the one of someone that has never needed a job...

Another point is, have you ever tried to stay at home for more then a year doing... nothing. You know how bored you get??
    Another point is, do you know how pesky enterviewrs can be? Most of them, if they see a huge time blank in your CV they will just assume you are not to be truested.

Unfortunelly i have lived those of above myself .

When I was younger I was never picky, started working part time when I was 15, worked monday nights and weekends as a grocery clerk, gave me 3-4000k SEK extra every month apart from the student grant every kid gets. I've worked at least part time ever since. I've had some great jobs and some crap ones. But a crap job is better then nothing.

Nowdays I can afford to be picky, currently working part time as a project manager for consultant company that deals with marketing in various ways. Good pay, varied projects while still being on a very flexible schedule, I'm finishing up my master at the same time.

Some of the things we do are brand communication, how to strengthen brand names and how to communicate the values and visions a corporation got to customers, PR and media analysis, Customer relationships and customer loyalty, desk research(business intelligence), employer branding, stakeholder management, surveys in the finance industry, analysis of trade and customer trends, analysing semiotics and statistics etc.

Our clients are very varied, from large multinational corporations to small local ones, political parties and news papers etc.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    The first criteria is a job that I would like doing. I'd hate to be stuck in a job that I despise for years. Of course a nice income isn't a bad factor either, but it definitely isn't the first thing I'm looking at.

Deleted
    Last year I only checked for jobs close to my home town. But you have to be very lucky / have the right connections to get a good position which is also well paid. I only graduated with a Bachelor so I mostly checked for internships, Junior positions or trainess. I got a nice offer for a 6 months internship and decided to take it. Well, long story short - after three months I applied for a Master study programm which will start this September and will last a year. Thereafter, I will definetely check for jobs I am really interested in, regardless of where they will be.

I guess moving away can both be a risk and an opportunity. I was at first totally against leaving friends/family but now I am really looking forward to live somewhere else. During my Bachelor study programm, I lived for half a year in America and Belgium (I am from Germany) and I thought after these two adventures, I can "settle down". But when you lived for some time in another country, it can be very hard to go back to your roots. I am also coming from the countryside so it can be quite calm.

So overall, I would say apply for jobs you are most interested in (and try to never work below value - unless you don't have any job experience... than money should not be your first concern)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Your behavior is the one of someone that has never needed a job...

Another point is, have you ever tried to stay at home for more then a year doing... nothing. You know how bored you get??
    Another point is, do you know how pesky enterviewrs can be? Most of them, if they see a huge time blank in your CV they will just assume you are not to be truested.

Unfortunelly i have lived those of above myself .
    I have never 'needed' a job as I'm still young and live with my parents. I work because I want to. If I had kids, I would be far less picky, but as I don't I can afford to be a little more choosy. Why is that so hard to understand? I have an OK job at the moment. Not satisfied with it, but you keep looking for that next step.

Also if you've stayed at home for a year doing nothing, aren't you being picky? I could get a job in a few weeks if I were going for everything available.
    Last edited by mmoc06ccea41fb; 2013-05-17 at 06:53 PM.

Deleted
    A lot of money. Bosses treat their staff like dirtbags, so money is all I care about in a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree and disagree.

Would you really take a job as a shopping centre cleaner getting minimum wage? If I needed it to keep my kids eating then of course but if I'm living at home with my parents getting benefits. No I wouldn't.

@OP

Pay.
    Unfortunately, kids in the U.S. don't get paid to go to school like some other countries. There are no "benefits" to be had, unless you're an adult and disabled in some way (or drawing unemployment, but that's only available after you've already worked).

10+ Year Old Account
    Also if you've stayed at home for a year doing nothing, aren't you being picky?
    No i'm not, i would pick the first job i could... But with a unemployment rate of 17% (and still increasing) there is nothing i could do... When i send my CV's people do with me what you've just did, they judge me wrong...

If i've been at home for so long them i must be some kind of lazy guy...

I could get a job in a few weeks if I were going for everything available.
    Then you a lucky... Or your country has no unemployment problems, because at this moment 40 milions europeans 100% disagree with.

I pick up the lucky... option if i'm allowed.

Pay.

Also, pay.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

What position they need filled. That's about it getting to one isnt that bad for me no car so i have to walk but its only about a mile away so it works out fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    My own interests, I don't want to go to a job miserable every morning. That's why I'm currently studying in the field I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I look at the requirements and ask myself do I meet them or can I fake it till I make it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

first? can it pay the bills
    if the job doesn't pay your bills, it's not the job for you.

The best paying job isnt necessarily the best job. Sure pay is something to consider, but there are also things like commute time, do you have to cross a bridge toll, What is the start time, benefits, working conditions, is it something you enjoy doing. Its easy to judge a job strictly based on pay, but when you get used to the pay it becomes normal pay to you and if you dont like the job itself you will eventually hate it.

If you make decent money, but the job makes your life miserable, there's no way it's worth it compared to something you really enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.